Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grattan Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM
tylerwilson785
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grattan Raceway

I would like to get my car out on Grattan Raceway this fall. I am located only 35 minutes from the track. Has anyone ever ran with the Alfa Romeo, or Lotus Car Clubs? They are at Grattan Oct. 2-3 and Oct 8-10, respectively. My car is an F-body so I don't know what those guys would say. Also, on Grattan's website it says that the National Council of Corvette Clubs will be there Oct 24. I was wondering if they allow F-bodies to run with them.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can run with either of those clubs in your F-body. I would recommend the Alfa guys over the NCCC as you'll get more track time. I've instructed with both and both are good groups of people, but the NCCC does some timed events specifically for 'vettes so you'll have to sit through that for half the day. Other cars can run, but they are put into "open" classing with various levels of cars / drivers.

Gingerman isn't far from you, Spectator Racing is putting on an event there next Satruday the 25th:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...or-racing.html

They're a heck of a good group of guys as well...maybe the best club to run with of all

Last edited by ScaryFast; 09-16-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 AM
tylerwilson785
Heel & Toe

Sounds great! Thanks for the information - much appreciated. I will look into the event at Gingerman later this month.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Just to clarify, the NCCC time trials are open to all cars, if you're interested in that type of event. So you wouldn't have to sit out anything. The time trial format is single lap timed run, standing start. I believe however there will be cones on the track (slaloms) for most of the runs, as most of the events are classified as low speed events.

I haven't been to an Alfa event at Grattan but I know some of the Alfa guys and would recommend that event if you're looking for open lapping.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM
tylerwilson785
Heel & Toe

Open lapping is more what I am looking for. I will contact the Alfa guys about running with them when they are there.
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that the Detroit Alfa Romeo people (AROC Detroit) are really good guys. They put on great events. Nicely run and organized. I've been doing their spring and fall events at Grattan for 3 or 4 years. I would be interested in their upcoming October event except they are running the track backwards on Saturday and time trials on Sunday. At least that was their plan earlier this year. Neither of those are of particular interest to me.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
tylerwilson785
Heel & Toe

I was looking at the track and thought it be better to run backwards anyways so this is the one for me!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerwilson785
I was looking at the track and thought it be better to run backwards anyways so this is the one for me!
We just got done running the track backwards Saturday afternoon. It was raining, so it's hard to really make a good evaluation, but I will try anyway. Running backwards really changes the track. Some of the changes are for the good, but others not so much. The biggest downside is that you take a track with a decent amount of runoff in the critical areas and pretty much wipe that out. Coming onto the front straight and making the up hill left hairpin are the two that stand out the most. If you lose it in those turns, the only thing you will see is metal Armco.

We didn't have any incidents, and people did enjoy it. Just make sure to know the situation and adjust appropriately.

Ken
Old 09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Just to clarify, the NCCC time trials are open to all cars, if you're interested in that type of event.
Thanks for the clarification, fixed my post above...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:50 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I ran Grattan with Detroit AROC once. A great group and lots of track time.

I usually run the CAROC events. Even though they are timetrials events, I think you can just skip the transponder rental and not be timed. Again lots of track time and another nice group.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:11 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

The Chicago Alfa Club and the Detriot Chapter are hosting an event at Grattan. The North Shore Corvette Club joins in with the Alfa's at most of their events. They run their events very well and safe, with instructors available. I'm not sure I'll be able to go, playing it by ear. Here's a link: http://www.visualhorizonsinc.com/car...010%20R1.7.pdf I ran with them a month ago at Joilet Autobahn, we did 5 - 25 min sessions+, seems like more than enough track time, at the end only 3 or 4 cars running open track.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
tylerwilson785
Heel & Toe

Looking forward to the run at Grattan with the AROC guys. Guess I better register!

Get notified of new replies

To Grattan Raceway

Quick Reply: Grattan Raceway