Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM brake duct install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DRM brake duct install question

I would call Randy but it's the weekend (only time I can work on the car).

I have the ducts installed on the car along with spindle ducts. I can't get the hose to fit over the DRM duct. The hose inner diameter appears to be smaller than the DRM duct outer diameter.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the hose over the duct outlet long enough to tighten a hose clamp on it?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 PM
MJM
Drifting

At this point I'm pretty fed up and contemplating a different tactic.

Has anyone cut triangular slots into the duct outlet, bent the duct outlet inward to reduce the outer diameter, slipped the hose over, then used rivets through the hose and duct outlet to hold them in place?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:29 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
At this point I'm pretty fed up and contemplating a different tactic.

Has anyone cut triangular slots into the duct outlet, bent the duct outlet inward to reduce the outer diameter, slipped the hose over, then used rivets through the hose and duct outlet to hold them in place?
I had the same issue. I cut a slit in the hose to get it started around the ducting and you can put a little grease on the duct also. Then hose clamp it and use some strong duct tape over the hose and clamp. You could cut a slit in the duct also as a last resort, but I didn't have to.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 PM
MJM
Drifting

Thanks for the tip, sounds like fitment is a bit of an issue.

The hose I'm using has metal wire reinforcement and doesn't really like cutting into it. I experimented with the leftover sections and it doesn't give me enough extra inner diameter to fit over the duct outlet.

I'm gonna go with rivets, just bought the stuff now.

If it works I'll post some pictures.

Matt
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The hose is meant to fit inside the DRM duct (according to Quantum Motorsports).
Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut the wire in the hose and took a couple of coils out of the end. The fabric stretched over and then I could secure it.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 PM
MJM
Drifting

That's interesting.

DRM instructions say it goes on the outside, and their pictures show the same thing.

If you put it inside, won't the air just blow it out?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I cut the wire in the hose and took a couple of coils out of the end. The fabric stretched over and then I could secure it.
Yep, except I kept the wire. It's been working great for 2 years.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 PM
MJM
Drifting

Well, for the connection between the DRM duct and the hose I have made it work.

I notched the DRM duct outlet in several places, bent it inwards making it a smaller diameter, then put the hose over it. I then drilled and riveted the hose and duct outlet together.

Now the hose won't fit over the spindle duct. I am beginning to think they sent me the wrong size hose.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
That's my next attempt to get the hose to fit over the spindle duct. I have massaged the duct with a hammer and pliers to make it a smaller outer diameter, but the wire in the hose stops any progress.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 PM
MJM
Drifting

Default one side finished

That was painful. I am going to reward myself with steak, cigars, and Jack Daniels. The other side and bleeding the brakes can wait till tomorrow.

Just to be clear, I am happy with the DRM brake duct itself. I don't mind hacking up my car to get them in there (none of it is on the outside). My issue is with the hoses that came with the kit.

Matt

Last edited by MJM; 09-18-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It snot the hoses. The DRM ducts are diff size that the spindle ducts, so you need to pick a hose size. For wheel clearance, smaller makes sense.

There is no need to clamp the inner. I just did a couple track days with the setup (and promptly cracked a new rotor) and had no issues with the inner hose with the below setup. One note, make sure the DRM piece is back far enough (slightly back behind the spindle duct) or else you will get rubbing. Try to get under the car w/the suspension compressed to verify this.

The only issue w/the above is the hose blocking airflow. I fab'd a little aluminum L-bracket and bolted it to the DRM plastic piece to keep the hose from blocking the air flow. That was overkill, a simply M6 bolt would've sufficed.

One note, if you have really fancy hose (like the stuff in the Quantum kit), IIRC, the hose is sewn to the metal rings so you cannot separate it.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Haha, I just did this same install this weekend. I ended up just slitting the plastic duct and ramming the hose over it. Im going to give it a few weeks then pull the wheel off and see how everything is doing, but I figured that if me yanking on the hose didn't cause any issues then regular suspension travel shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben

One note, if you have really fancy hose (like the stuff in the Quantum kit), IIRC, the hose is sewn to the metal rings so you cannot separate it.
Yes you can. It just involves lots of elbow grease, sweat, cussing, and beer!

I'm gonna go with the hose on the outside of the spindle duct and a hose clamp. I might even go with rivets instead of the hose clamp. I would rather have it secure than just riding inside the spindle duct, but I see what you mean.

Matt
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM
MJM
Drifting

Finished with the right side.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i feel your pain i f#$%ed around with the hose that came with the kit for a few hours, then bought wider hose and metal clamps to compress them around the narrower outlet/inlet. works like a charm and takes me about a minute to swap hoses when they get worn/torn up
Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i feel your pain i f#$%ed around with the hose that came with the kit for a few hours, then bought wider hose and metal clamps to compress them around the narrower outlet/inlet. works like a charm and takes me about a minute to swap hoses when they get worn/torn up
I'm gonna see how the rivets work out and then adjust from there.

What size hose did you end up buying to get it to slip over?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
I'm gonna see how the rivets work out and then adjust from there.

What size hose did you end up buying to get it to slip over?

Thanks,
Matt
SCEET-15 DUCTING 3 3/4" is what I have been using for the last year. bought 6 feet of the stuff and only had to replace once (so about 8-9 events for every piece) - I eventually figured out a way to adjust the angle/movement with zip ties to minimize the rubbing - one piece lasts me about 6 events now and then couple more with some duct tape

Get notified of new replies

To DRM brake duct install question

Quick Reply: DRM brake duct install question