Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with CV/axle boots te

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default problem with CV/axle boots te

I have been replacing both inner and outer (mostly outers) boots at least a dozen times... they seem to tear easily and make a hell of a mess slinging grease all over the place...not really sure what it is from but assume from debris/rocks...one fella suggested custom leather "off-road" covers to put on top of the rubber boots...

Does anyone know of a "tougher" boot or a solution as I'm tired of replacing them all the time?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What application is this problem on - strictly a track car ? I have never heard of anyone going through that many boots ----- Are you using a stock GM replacement boot or are you using an aftermarket boot ? I personally would stick with GM OEM boots. They cost more, but are tough and usually last a long time if properly installed. The second question is how are you installing and clamping the replacement boots ? Proper installation is a necessity, follow the factory shop manual on this process.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the boots are not installed properly they have too much air and moisture in them. When they heat up to track temp they expand like a balloon and then rub on things and pop.
Ask a few of us how we know It gets messy
I once used NAPA axles and had the same problem. They work fine on the street but when you have elevated temps at the track they make a mess.
There are a few vendors here on the forum that reman axles that will work under track conditions.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
What application is this problem on - strictly a track car ? I have never heard of anyone going through that many boots ----- Are you using a stock GM replacement boot or are you using an aftermarket boot ? I personally would stick with GM OEM boots. They cost more, but are tough and usually last a long time if properly installed. The second question is how are you installing and clamping the replacement boots ? Proper installation is a necessity, follow the factory shop manual on this process.
Strictly track application...I have tried stock boots and aftermarket ones and the same thing happens...sometimes lasts 4 weekends and sometimes two in one weekend....usually only one boot at a time though...

They are installed by a GM Master technician (assuming according to the shop manual) so I assume it is done correctly...

Frustrating....
Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Originally Posted by geerookie
If the boots are not installed properly they have too much air and moisture in them. When they heat up to track temp they expand like a balloon and then rub on things and pop.
Ask a few of us how we know It gets messy
I once used NAPA axles and had the same problem. They work fine on the street but when you have elevated temps at the track they make a mess.
There are a few vendors here on the forum that reman axles that will work under track conditions.
Anyone have these upgraded axles with durable boots for sale on this forum?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by wmckeenster
Anyone have these upgraded axles with durable boots for sale on this forum?
I bought 4 of them from Phoenix so I would have spares. Still haven't needed the spares for almost 2 years now.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Originally Posted by geerookie
I bought 4 of them from Phoenix so I would have spares. Still haven't needed the spares for almost 2 years now.
how are the axles/boots different from stock?

BTW, I've never had a problem with the axles themselves (over 600RWHP), just the boots...
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by wmckeenster
how are the axles/boots different from stock?

BTW, I've never had a problem with the axles themselves (over 600RWHP), just the boots...
I've never had a problem with the axles either. As far as I can tell they look just like stock.
When I blew the boots I went to Phoenix and explained what happened and they said it was common on track cars. I also know of others that have had the problem when buying reman'd or aftermarket axles.
If I remember correctly (been 2 years) the guys at Phoenix said it was because of the way they are assembled....not evacuated properly or something like that. I think it also had something to do with the grease used.
Regardless, I bought some from them and haven't a problem since.
I figured if they can build that many T1 Corvettes and not have a problem they must know what they are doing.
Call them, maybe they will explain what they do differently.

Last edited by geerookie; 09-22-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: forgot to answer one of the questions
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You need to talk to Louis or Lou at LGM. Lou had a very similar problem this year at Homestead. Talk to them. I don't know what the eventual solution was but it seemed to work.

Richard Newton
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
flink
Racer

Lowering the car might contribute to this. It makes the halfshaft angle less square, so the boot's rubber flexes more as the wheel rotates.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any updates on this issue since September? What did you find out?

Today at Auto Club Speedway, I had an passenger side inner boot slide off at 140 in turn 1. The boot was intact, so we replaced the clamp and went back out. Three laps later, same thing happened to the drivers side. They were just rebuilt, and have a feeling the shop used aftermarket, not GM boots. We're beginning to think the aftermarket boots aren't as long and are getting stretched.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

Originally Posted by jimtway
Any updates on this issue since September? What did you find out?

Today at Auto Club Speedway, I had an passenger side inner boot slide off at 140 in turn 1. The boot was intact, so we replaced the clamp and went back out. Three laps later, same thing happened to the drivers side. They were just rebuilt, and have a feeling the shop used aftermarket, not GM boots. We're beginning to think the aftermarket boots aren't as long and are getting stretched.
I was at AutoClub Speedway and you borrowed my axle socket, great to meet you...

I do not know the solution to this problem but I have found a thicker boot that has helped tremendously but it does still happen....let me know what you find out, if anything...
Old 03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There is probably a reason the factory boots list for about $70 (!) and the auto parts store versions are far less. That is what I am investigating with Superior Chevrolet. (The Gen Mgr is a T1 racer and the parts mgr is his crew chief.)
Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I am not sure if this will help the situation, but my former track car was a Mustang Cobra with an IRS. There were several fellow Cobra owners that encountered what you guys are describing. One person found a solution by installing the small red straw that comes with a can of WD-40 in between the boot and the axle shaft before clamping it down. This allowed excess heat to slightly vent from inside the boot whenever heat caused pressure to build up inside.

Just a suggestion, not saying it is a solution for you.

-Kevin
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Valvoline SynPower specifies it is for also suitable for CV joints.

From Valvoline PDS

Valvoline SynPower Grease is an excellent heavy-duty and multi-purpose automotive and industrial extreme pressure grease. It consists of a lithium complex thickener in synthetic base oil and is fortified with molybdenum disulfide and other quality additives. It provides protection from high loads and may be used over a wide temperature range.
Valvoline SynPower Grease is recommended for use in disc brake and non-disc brake wheel bearings, all-purpose chassis lubrication and constant velocity joint applications.
As stated before-get as much air out of the boot before sealing.

Get notified of new replies

To problem with CV/axle boots te

Quick Reply: problem with CV/axle boots te