Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 track car build

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 track car build

I thought I had posted some of these before, but apparently not.

This is a 97 removable roof that we tore down, and are putting a cage in. When finished, it will have lexan front and rear 'glass', carbon fiber roof, window nets, etc.

We also took out the factory floors, and replaced them with reinforced steel panels, with heavy duty mounting points for the seats. Having a well mounted seat can make all the difference.

Not a small undertaking, but it would make a great winter layover project. We've got some spaces left...your car would be nice and warm in our shop for the winter, and ready for the track come spring.
Attached Images     
Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After removing the factory hoop over/behind the seats, I guess your going to run this open top or just weld it back in place to hold the removable top? A pillars are gone too, so you'll either weld those back or go your own direction with the windshield and roof.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't keep the cage inside those members, but it'll be interesting to see what this looks like after your done.

What sanction/class are you shooting for?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NASAblue
After removing the factory hoop over/behind the seats, I guess your going to run this open top or just weld it back in place to hold the removable top? A pillars are gone too, so you'll either weld those back or go your own direction with the windshield and roof.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't keep the cage inside those members, but it'll be interesting to see what this looks like after your done.

What sanction/class are you shooting for?
We're putting a carbon fiber roof / Pillar set on, with the stock rear glass frame holding a lexan window. It will look like a removable roof car, but without the removable roof.

Keeping the cage inside those members cuts down A LOT on interior space. If you are above about 5'6", and try to keep the cage inside the pillars, you'll find that your helmet goes above the cage, which just doesn't work.

Not shooting for any particular class, but it will be legal in several. Owner primarily just wants improved safety and rigidity.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those're some heavy duty door bars... demolition derby one of the classes? :-) Looking forward to more pictures as the build progresses!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, it looks like a great job. I'm planning to cage my 97 over the winter, but the builders and estimates I got didn't include anything this extensive. I think you'll have the stiffness thing down, are you going through the firewall with the cage?

Since this is 97 is going to be a track car, may be you could answer me this real quick: are you going to or did the owner relocate the ABS/EBCM from the rear between the mufflers?

Thank for taking the time to post up the picts and answer the questions, I'm looking forward to see how it all turns out.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any ballpark figures for a NASA ST-2 / world challenge GTS build?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

This is actually my car, and I can't say enough about working with Toby, Ray and the guys at Blackdog. After doing a lot of reading in this section (thanks guys) and elsewhere, I chose to go with Blackdog even though they were some 1100 miles away. Yes, I looked at LG, DRM, Phoenix and a couple of others - all great shops who race and build Corvettes and would have done a great job on my car. Blackdog just ended up being the best option for me.

Toby and Ray have been great to work with, particularly long distance - lots of good communication and regular updates with pics, particularly of the cage build process. I would not hestitate to recommend them to anyone.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Dystrophy
Intermediate

Looks like a great start, keep us posted

Snapp
Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NASAblue
Nice, it looks like a great job. I'm planning to cage my 97 over the winter, but the builders and estimates I got didn't include anything this extensive. I think you'll have the stiffness thing down, are you going through the firewall with the cage?

Since this is 97 is going to be a track car, may be you could answer me this real quick: are you going to or did the owner relocate the ABS/EBCM from the rear between the mufflers?

I elected not to have the cage go through the firewall. To do that correctly would have substantially increased the costs and I decided I would be safe enough with what you see here in the pics.

Yes, the prior owner of the car removed the ABS/EBCM from the rear of the car.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:33 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Those're some heavy duty door bars... demolition derby one of the classes? :-) Looking forward to more pictures as the build progresses!
Given my last HPDE outing in my stock C6, you might say yes. I got nailed by some idiot in a Mustang after I had come to a stop OFF the track during a red flag event. Destroyed my left rear and driver's door, all of which has been repaired. God bless HPDE insurance.

The good news is, the Budget Committee gave me the go ahead to get this car and to finish making it a dedicated track car. Since I'm not ready to give this "hobby" up, and since I can't eliminate the population of idiots, I might as well build in a little extra protection.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Just got the numbers back from Blackdog - the finished car weighs 3199 with fuel and 200 lbs in the front seat. Even with the extensive cage, etc. added, all the weight removal resulted in a net loss of 171 lbs.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post some additional photos.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

I too am a BIG FAN of Black Dog Speed Shop. It was about this time last year that they picked up my car for 'winter work'. The big project was a CF front end with splitter and undertray, along with CF mounted wing. They did a great job, got the work done on-time and on budget. Beyond the planned work, the crew at Black Dog found issues with my car that would have likely caused downtime mid-season. The car was fully prepped and ready to roll prior to the season opener on April 1st.

I've seen this project up close, and if I were to start over . . . no doubt I'd be using Black Dog for this level of track prep.

Can't wait to see the project come to completion.

Hey, you may want to TEST at Autobahn CC before you take delivery in Texas. What's the completion date?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

The car is finished and on its way back home. While I would have enjoyed taking the car for a test at Autobahn, I was not able to work that into my schedule. Other than replacing the radiator and repairing a faulty synchro in the trans, Blackdog did not do any work on the driveline or suspension (they did corner weight it and and an alignment) so I did not think it was imperative that I track tested it before I had it shipped back. They did of course check the computer for any issues and road tested the car before it went out.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey I thought that car looked familiar, it is my old car! Looks great Mark, can't wait to see you out on the track. Next planned TWS day is Dec 11th, wadda ya think?
Congrats on finish!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks Chuck. Dec. 11 I'll be out discharging firearms at helpless woodland creatures, so looks like I'll have to wait till January.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 track car build

Quick Reply: C5 track car build