Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quine's In-car from SCCA Run-Offs Start & Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Quine's In-car from SCCA Run-Offs Start & Pictures

Here it is! Sorry you have to skip to the 6:00 mark to see the start. I had a great start and was right on the white Ferarri's bumper and thought I could get thru but I was hit from behind sending me left and into HELL! There was nothing Gaudette or the others could do from hitting me at that speed as they had nowhere to go either. The video cuts out so you don't get to see me blast the concrete wall. Sloe took a hard lick to the right and glad he was ok too. Berkley took one too and I am very happy we all walked away.

I really enjoyed the track during qualifying week and all the nice people I met. I have to thank Todd Z and his friend Dave for all their help during the week reviewing my in-car qualifying and telling me where I needed to be and not to be. I decided to use thursday Q as a bedding session and not tear up the car or break it before the big dance. Guess that plan didn't go too good on Sunday.

Also, A big thanks to Chris Shay for installing his DL1 system in my car and downloading the data to review with me. I owe him an antenna that was sheared off in the start, hopefully your data system is ok though.

Chris Brannon, you are truely a great new friend and I thank you for all your help during the week. Chris introduced me to everyone I told him I wanted to meet, god that guy knows everyone. Great to see Buttermore,Ingle,Berkley,Gaudette,Betts and finally got to meet Oli, Mike Wazak & Kyle Kelley. I introduced myself to Pettiford again and told him the last time he seen me was when I was mounting his tires at the 2006 Run-offs in Topeka. Still not sure he remembered me though.

I also finally met Heinrocket,McGinley,Lynch,Curran and they are truely great racers and very down to earth people. Had some great evening partys at the track plus beers down at the famous Seibkins bar in Elkhart. Nice meeting Peter Keane too and I really enjoyed his stories and good laughs, you are too funny.

Thanks to all that sent emails,text's,Facebook messages to check in on me, it really meant a lot. Yes, as you can see from the videos the car is a write off. The steering wheel, seat and back glass are about the only good things not broken. The motor was pushed back quite a bit and not sure what the block, torque tube,trans and diff look like yet as they took a shock and could be cracked. I will start tearing stuff down bit by bit and see what else is salvageable, but it doesn't look good. My Moton shocks were all destroyed, all 4 wheels and tires, rear frame looks like a pretzel as well as the front left and right rails. Rear tubb looks like a pyramid and my new Wilwood set up is toast too.

I hit so hard the computors on the passenger floor board were knocked out of their spot and landed by passenger door. The roll cage did a great job of protecting me as did the HANS device. It did still manage to dig into my neck with belts but it definately saved me. A little black and blue now but all the safety equipment did their jobs too. I am sure you have been told this before but I will remind everyone again. Get a HANS device if you dont have one. THEY WORK!!!!

I was asked how I was when I was sitting on the wall from paramedics and I started to get a pain in my neck, so thats why they hauled me off to check me out. Good thing they did, cause when I was in the in-field care center the shock and addrenalin set in and I blacked out. I came around to find all my friends and my dad standing at my side. I asked the doctor if he was done with me yet and he asked why. I told him I wanted to go to turn 5 and watch the race and he said typical race car driver.

I got a ride down to 5 just as they went green and got to see Buttermore mix it up with Tucker for a few laps and that made my day even though I wasn't out there. That Buttermore guy can drive anything and is one heck of a talent. Someone hire him to go pro racing please

It's crazy how 20 years of saving and dreaming to do this can all be gone in 5 seconds, but I will take on 5 more jobs to do it again. Hopefully it doesn't take another 20 years as that would put me at 58 years old.

Thanks to John Stracenski for towing back my car on the U-Haul trailer and helping me thru out the week. Jerry,Annette and Denise for catering to our every need.

Like Arnold Schwarzenegger used to say, I'll be back!!! Just can't tell you when.

Aaron Quine

Video:

http://www.vimeo.com/15376216

Hey look, Found a head light door I can fix!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

you're right, that thing is toast. jeez
Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron,

Sorry for the loss of your car. It makes me sick to see the tapes from you and others. I'm glad nobody was seriously injured. I was watching the race live on Sunday morning and was very concerned about everyone's safety when I saw all of the damage. Hope to see you in another car soon.

Steve
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow Aaron i am so sorry to read you post it sucks so bad to see the car in the shape it is in now, i know how much hard work it takes to get the car to the point you were at with it and how much blood sweat and tears you had put into the car.

glad your ok once again.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron thanks for the update! Once again glad you are alright and the safety stuff did their job. It really sucks about the car though. Hopefully we will see you on the track in the near future.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aaron

Aaron
So sorry to hear about your accident. Thank God you are OK.

Joe
Old 09-29-2010, 05:41 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

wow, that thing is really a mess
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Holy crap!! That looks worse than you described to me on phone! It is amazing you are OK. I hope you can sell a good amount off it, then go find that C6!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Wholly Crap. Glad your OK Aaron.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
96BAM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see you are all right. Bernyce says looks like you have a good winter project.

Ted & Bernyce.

Last edited by 96BAM; 09-29-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been thinking about the right thing to say about this situation. Nothing will make you feel any better about it and nothing anybody can say can take back that moment in time. A reset button would be nice, too bad we don't have that option. Some people only dream of becoming a race car driver, but you made it happen with hard work, some class and a damn good attitude

As I opened my book on life, page 1,435,134,000 in the first book. In bold letters, in C5 orange peel black color, underlined, in large print, it said. "Aaron is still a pimp"

Randy
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Lordy, Aaron, that's a really ominous video with some astonishing carnage. I'm just an autocrosser with the occasional DE, but enjoy reading about everyone's experiences up higher on the food chain.

Except this one. I just cringed when I saw the initial video, and the followup videos just made me cringe more.

Good luck on getting back into the game; I know we're all pulling for you and everyone else that has a bunch of wreckage.

I say this all the time, but emphasize it more here,

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Aaron,

Glad you are okay, which is the most important thing. Sounds like you have a great attitude and good luck getting back on the track sooner than later.

Larry
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aaron, glad you and everyone else is OK. From your video it's obvious that once the stuff hit the fan you were just along for the ride. Hope you get a new car soon and get back into it! Best wishes.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I feel so bad for Aaron. He is the nicest driver on the grid. He is uber talented, yet so modest about his driving. He is the most generous racer with his help, yet he expects nothing in return. There is another thread inspiring support for Aaron here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...acer-help.html

I will be making a donation myself. I urge all of you to do the same. Even a little bit adds up if enough people help out.

I also have some used, but good parts I can send to him. Aaron, can you use some hubs and spindles?

Fastest regards,

Oli
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I feel so bad for Aaron. He is the nicest driver on the grid. He is uber talented, yet so modest about his driving. He is the most generous racer with his help, yet he expects nothing in return. There is another thread inspiring support for Aaron here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...acer-help.html

I will be making a donation myself. I urge all of you to do the same. Even a little bit adds up if enough people help out.

I also have some used, but good parts I can send to him. Aaron, can you use some hubs and spindles?

Fastest regards,

Oli
Is that thread going to be posted in this section too? It might help. I am willing to pitch in. We did this a couple years ago for a guy in NorCal and we started out using PayPal. However, IIRC they do not allow donations unless something has changed.

Sorry for you misfortune Aaron. I hope you get something worked out soon to get you back in the game.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-frc-body.html

Call me a enabler

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Quine's In-car from SCCA Run-Offs Start & Pictures

Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Is that thread going to be posted in this section too? It might help. I am willing to pitch in. We did this a couple years ago for a guy in NorCal and we started out using PayPal. However, IIRC they do not allow donations unless something has changed.

Sorry for you misfortune Aaron. I hope you get something worked out soon to get you back in the game.
I'll post it here, but maybe we could all post a link to it where ever we also post?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh man thats bad. I feel dumb with the "lets fix the car in the previous post".
Glad everyone is ok.
Aaron what do you want to do now? T1? C5-C6? Maybe ST1-ST2?
It sounds like the C5s are a little out gunned in SCCA. I can be of some help & want you to let me if you decide to go C5.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I'll join the rest by saying how glad I am that you and the others are OK after a serious accident like that. I'm sure Angie was really worried when she saw what happened...You can replace "things"... but it would've been a real tragedy to lose one of our racers.

Although this car doesn't appear to be fixable by any stretch of the imagination - I hope you are able to make a comeback with another car, Aaron. You're such a nice guy and a really fantastic driver. Hope you don't throw in the towel on racing.

Keep the forum members posted on how we can help you - with extra parts or whatever. I'm sure there are alot of people here who would be willing to help and support your efforts to get back in the drivers seat again

Donna

Quick Reply: Quine's In-car from SCCA Run-Offs Start & Pictures