Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Seat Advise Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track Seat Advise Needed

Well after 2 years of doing track days its time to get a proper track seat in my C5. I am having trouble deciding to go with either an Aluminum seat or composite seat. I am on a tight budget and was going to go with either a Cobreau FX1 or Ultrashield rally.

Some background: I daily drive my car and track it as many weekends as I can afford (6-8) a year. I am a big guy at 6 ft. tall 275 lbs. 40 inch waist, wide shoulders.

I need a seat that is big enough for me but can still fit in the car. It also shouldn't be too hard to get in and out of.

I thought about a full race seat and swapping back and forth with the stock seat but that just sounds like a PITA.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm happy with my FX1 pros. I have 36" waist and fairly broad shoulders and the seats give me ample room. They are comfortable for a couple hours on the street, after that my legs start to fall asleep. The seat bottoms are well padded but not what you'd call soft. Lumbar support is good. Mounting them was a compromise - I have the corbeau slider mounts and they put the seats to high when i have my helmet on. So, on the track, I have to remove the seat cushion, which gives me a little more than an inch of extra head room, I'm 6ft. The hard mounts can get the seats lower, so removing the cushion might not be necessary. The are deep and getting in and out means you have to lift your butt up using your arms and then swing your legs out.

Not as good of a seat but a little more streetable is the A4s, they are softer, reclinable and not as deep but not as good on the track either. My A4s (when I had them in the car) were narrow and I don't think a 40" waist would fit. They might come in other widths though...not sure.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike,
You may want to go with the Corbeau FX1 Wide (fits up to a 42" waist) but I'm not sure it will fit in your C5Z. With the Hardbar seat rails swapping is a 15 minute job.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys. I tried to fit a FX1 wide in before and it does not fit in the car. That thing is real wide. It was actually too wide for me.

I think I will go with a FX1 and try to lose some weight. Been meaning to anyway... Maybe if I get the seat and its a wee bit tight it will motivate me to go to the gym more, lol.

I got the hardbar seat mount so height wont be an issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Seat Advise Needed

Quick Reply: Track Seat Advise Needed