Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got to shake-down my track car this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:53 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally got to shake-down my track car this weekend...

I took it to a local AutoX to shake it down and just work out bugs. I borrowed a GoPro (I know, I need to get my own, haha) and I think we actually remembered to turn it on for a few runs. I'll try to get that stuff up later. For now some pictArs:

The car worked pretty well overall, but I wasn't thrilled. It was really pushy mid-turn to exit, and we couldn't dial it out with tire pressures and shock adjustments. It got a LOT better, but did not go away entirely. I had a few of the local hot shoes take it for a lap, and consensus is that my front sway (38mm solid GM T1) is just waaaaay too much for a ****ty asphalt parking lot. I'm okay with that since I'm optimizing for the track, so I need to get it on a road course before I make any changes there.

I did lose my clutch. Weirdest thing, it held up great all weekend through all of the racing (30+ laps). Then when I left the venue Sunday, just driving easy (seriously, not on it at all) the clutch slipped. I thought for an instant it was the tires hazing since I had aired them way back up. One more stab at the throttle produced smoke coming up through the dash/console and that stink of clutch, and I knew it was all over. I limped it to the office this morning (I stayed down near the AutoX last night) and am going to limp it either to Newtech or home tonight.

I also still have a few to-dos, including probably having my seat raised a bit, getting a steering wheel spacer to bring it out an inch or two, getting new switches for the trans & diff coolers (they keep burning out, and no we're not running through them, we're using solenoids and running power direct), etc.

Oh well... just more money right?

-TJ
Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who did your cage?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MJM
who did your cage?

Thanks,
Matt
Frank Fuller of Fuller Fab in Lodi, CA did the cage. I am SUPER happy with the result, and the price was really great. I know it's a long haul for you, but if you choose to go that way mention I (TJ Adams) sent you his way and you're interested in something like he did for me. PM if you want pricing details.

Fuller Fab
Frank Fuller
209-367-1533
fullerfab1@yahoo.com

-TJ
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one sweet a$$ rear tow hook!!! : )
Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

car looks great. care to share some details of the build ?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 PM
flink
Racer

The car looks about 3" higher than last time I saw it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 PM
TrakJunky
Instructor

Cool you finally got it out somewhere to do some shakedown. The amount of prep looks good.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
who did your cage?

Thanks,
Matt
Hey Matt. I saw you at the vette challenge. TJ had his cage done by the same guy that did mine. I heard you were asking who did my cage.

TJ, the car looks like it turned out great.

Bill.

Last edited by redtopz; 10-05-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by redtopz
Hey Matt. I saw you at the vette challenge. TJ had his cage done by the same guy that did mine. I heard you were asking who did my cage.

Bill.
Bill,

Yep that was me. I really liked the way the cage was integrated with the car. I've seen quite a few that look like death traps because there isn't much room to get out of the car. Your's looked like a lot of thought and expertise went into the design and fabrication.

Lodi is up on the way to Thunderhill, so that's far but not too far for me.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GreekPT
That's one sweet a$$ rear tow hook!!! : )
Haha, yup! I still need to get the front one mounted up. I wonder if I should get the little vinyl "tow" decals with the arrow pointing at the hooks... it's pretty hard to figure out where they are without them.

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
car looks great. care to share some details of the build ?
I always enjoy sharing my build, here's a quick and semi-complete rundown:

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
  • 427 short-block (LS7 block, all forged internals, non-LS7 crank for true dry-sump)
  • ARE true dry-sump (3 stages scavenge, 1 stage pressure)
  • PRC 265cc LS7 heads (flow over 390cfm)
  • LS7 lifters
  • LS7 rockers w/ bearing upgrade
  • Mid 240s/250s .670 lift cam
  • 12:1 Compression
  • Fast 102mm Intake
  • Nick Williams 102mm TB
  • 80# injectors
  • Ron Davis Radiator w/ Oil Cooler
  • Power Steering Cooler
  • DRM Trans & Diff Coolers (heat exchangers behind rear factory brake-duct opening)
  • CAI
  • Kooks 1 7/8" stepped to 2" Long Tubes & Off-Road X-Pipe
  • Stock Ti Catback
  • LG "G-Stop" Wilwood front BBK (currently running CL RC8 pads)
  • DRM/LG Brake Ducts & Spindle Mounts
  • T1 Sway Bars
  • Full SCCA/NASA legal cage
  • Kirkey Road Race Seats
  • 6-Point Harnesses
  • Momo Mod78 330mm Steering Wheel w/ Quick Release (no Airbag, and Passenger Airbag delete)
  • Halon Fire-Suppression system
  • RAM Dual-Disk Clutch - is now toast
  • B&M Shifter
  • Shift Light
  • Lowered and Corner-Weighted
  • Pfadt Coilovers, Spherical bearing (bushing replacements) and upgraded hubs
  • RPM Built MN6 (tighter gear spacing than the stock M12)
  • LPE Built Rear (3.42, upgraded diff, upgraded output shafts, etc)
  • DTE Brace
  • 600RWHP/530RWTWQ NA on E85

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of little stuff (like what fuel pump is in it) but that's the quick 'n dirty.

Originally Posted by flink
The car looks about 3" higher than last time I saw it.
Yup, the C5/6 suspension gurus say that when you get the lower control arms much beyond parallel to the ground you are taking the suspension out of it's proper operating range and messing up the camber curve. As I had it before the control arms were at a big angle (wheel end much higher than chassis end) so we went w/ recommended heights. I think I need to get the front down just a bit more though to get a little more rake in it, and hopefully increase front bite some as well. Much tweakin' yet to do.

Originally Posted by TrakJunky
Cool you finally got it out somewhere to do some shakedown. The amount of prep looks good.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by redtopz

Bill.
Thanks Bill, I'm super happy with it other than the clutch letting go and the mid-turn to exit push. Of course, I didn't build it to go 30mph on a gravely asphalt parking lot, so I'll save my true judgment of the suspension balance for its first track day.

Originally Posted by MJM
Bill,

Yep that was me. I really liked the way the cage was integrated with the car. I've seen quite a few that look like death traps because there isn't much room to get out of the car. Your's looked like a lot of thought and expertise went into the design and fabrication.

Lodi is up on the way to Thunderhill, so that's far but not too far for me.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt, I saw Bill's car and that is what sent me to Frank as well. I'm sure if you tell Frank Bill and I sent you his way he can take great care of you.

-TJ
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Ordered up a RPS Carbon/Billet twin disc (with the AL flywheel). Hopefully I'll have it back on the street for clutch break-in miles by the middle of next week.

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got to shake-down my track car this weekend...

Quick Reply: Finally got to shake-down my track car this weekend...