Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably got his wrong so someone straighten me out?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:30 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Probably got his wrong so someone straighten me out?

At the the ALMS race this week, roaming about, and was looking at the Ferrari cars, and noticed what looked like Carbon Fiber discs???

Ok, .. no shock... A little further down I look at the Corvette ? Steel rotors?

On Saturday we are visiting the Audi guys, so we wander over to see the " Mall " displays and they have a Chev. display with a Carbon fiber Disc laying right there . You can pick it up for a "scratch and sniff" and... Yeah... pretty neat [ $1,400 apiece, but neat] .

Dumb Me asks why the discs look different on the GT2 car?? Answer = ... " They won't let us run them"... Huh???

So what have I got wrong here? They are on a street production car but not on the race car? But they are apparently on the Ferrari???

No chance of getting back to recheck , it's Saturday, and the chance of getting near Ferrari is about as good as me getting good looking......

So... I must have got something wrong .. Right?

TJM
Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Its part of the regulations to even the cars out. I believe they even have to run the steel frame now, not allowed to run the aluminum one. That may have been due to moving from GT1 to GT2 though.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
At the the ALMS race this week, roaming about, and was looking at the Ferrari cars, and noticed what looked like Carbon Fiber discs???

So what have I got wrong here? They are on a street production car but not on the race car? But they are apparently on the Ferrari???

No chance of getting back to recheck , it's Saturday, and the chance of getting near Ferrari is about as good as me getting good looking......

TJM
Get the November Road and Track. Great article comparing the race cars to the street cars. The Ferrari race cars use cast iron for competition; maybe carbon for testing purposes?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM

Ok, .. no shock... A little further down I look at the Corvette ? Steel rotors?

On Saturday we are visiting the Audi guys, so we wander over to see the " Mall " displays and they have a Chev. display with a Carbon fiber Disc laying right there . You can pick it up for a "scratch and sniff" and... Yeah... pretty neat [ $1,400 apiece, but neat] .

Dumb Me asks why the discs look different on the GT2 car?? Answer = ... " They won't let us run them"... Huh???

TJM
GT2 is much closer to street car and all must use steel rotors.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
GT2 is much closer to street car and all must use steel rotors.
Well they do put on a heck of show at night practice!

TJM

Get notified of new replies

To Probably got his wrong so someone straighten me out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Probably got his wrong so someone straighten me out?