Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C6R's for next year in ALMS ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New C6R's for next year in ALMS ??

Has anyone been near P&M in Michigan to see if they have built new GT2 cars for themselves or another team ???
Just a hint please !! Inquirying minds want to know. I won't tell anyone. There seems to be enough interest in GT2 to build new cars, especially since no GT1 cars can run at Lemans next year. And there is the new world Lemans championship series. And there will be new models from other teams.

jerry

Last edited by FORGED DST; 10-05-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I don't GM would let them build cars for anyone else, they are very anti-competition.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

They might let them build for the European market as they are very competitive in that series.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FORGED DST
And there is the new world Lemans championship series. And there will be new moels from other teams.

jerry
No one is excited about the World Le Mans Championship, except the promoters. Few if any teams have the money to travel overseas.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I don't GM would let them build cars for anyone else, they are very anti-competition.
In the past they sold all of the GT1 cars to European teams after about 2 years of use. That was true of the C5R and C6R cars wasn't it ?? Didn't they sell one of the C5R's to the guy's son who owns Menard's and later it too ended up in Europe. I just think that other Euro-teams like Luc Alphand have sponsors that will want to run a Corvette at Lemans and in that World Lemans series, which will require a GT2 car. Otherwise, I see some of those teams switching to Ferrari for example. In the past Luc Alphand ran a 550 GT Ferrari in GT1 before he got the C5R's.
It's just speculation........there's more sponsor interest now, and the change to the GT2 class for emphasis.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No one is excited about the World Le Mans Championship, except the promoters. Few if any teams have the money to travel overseas.
Sebring and Petit Lemans are part of that series too........ so is the 24 Hours of SPA a very big deal in Europe.
The European GT1 and GT3 cars travel to Brazil, AbuDabi, and China and all over Europe [next year Russia]. Doesn't Callaway have customers all over the world for their GT3 cars ?? Wouldn't 4 cars do better than 2 in the manufacturers championships ?? A big deal world wide. I'm not claiming to be an expert, i just would like to know more about this. I find it very interesting.

For example, I know "kits" have been developed [not homologated yet], but proposed to upgrade GT3 Corvettes and Audi R8 GT3 LMS to GT1 or GT2 specs.

Maybe I'm not busy enough at work to wonder about this......

Last edited by FORGED DST; 10-05-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK, P&M has built 2 un-sold customer ZR1GT2's. Word has been that the cars cost significantly more than either the 430GTE or 911RSR.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

IIRC Calloway had 6 Body in White C6Zs built by Bowling Green to be converted into European GT3 race cars.

The European GT1 and GT3 cars travel to Brazil, AbuDabi, and China and all over Europe [next year Russia].
Europe is one thing but the Brazil event was sparely attended do to travel costs. AbuDabi promoters paid for travel to their event.

and how many Europeans GT Teams came to Sebring or PLM? very very few
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
IIRC Calloway had 6 Body in White C6Zs built by Bowling Green to be converted into European GT3 race cars.

Europe is one thing but the Brazil event was sparely attended do to travel costs. AbuDabi promoters paid for travel to their event.

and how many Europeans GT Teams came to Sebring or PLM? very very few
We had 5 "Body in white" cars - actually, dry sump LS3 cars w/ ZR1 drivelines for 2009. Those cars were for GT4 racing.

We are gearing up for the championship this upcoming week in FIA GT3 where we do build the cars in Europe.

Seldom discussed in the USA, we are wildly competitive against a full field of the very cars we compete against in the showroom in the USA.

I hope this helps
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
We had 5 "Body in white" cars - actually, dry sump LS3 cars w/ ZR1 drivelines for 2009. Those cars were for GT4 racing.

We are gearing up for the championship this upcoming week in FIA GT3 where we do build the cars in Europe.

Seldom discussed in the USA, we are wildly competitive against a full field of the very cars we compete against in the showroom in the USA.

I hope this helps
You bet it does Chris...........you are being modest. Your cars own just about every one in all the national series GT3 spec series all over the world. Despite massive restrictions. As well as the FIA GT3 series. Believe me it does not go unnoticed by the avid sports car racing fans. And www.corvettemotorsport.com gives the links to watch most of the action. You can search for the links for nearly everything on Eurovision.

jerry

Callaway GT3 rocking it in Europe, already clinched driver's championship !! Best sports car series in the world.

Last edited by FORGED DST; 10-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Jerry,

Thank you. We are very proud of our long record in FIA GT3 however, for the average enthusiast in the USA, GT3 racing is a mystery, and seldom mentioned in a conversation about Corvette Racing. Hopefully that changes

Originally Posted by FORGED DST
You bet it does Chris...........you are being modest. Your cars own just about every one in all the national series GT3 spec series all over the world. Despite massive restrictions. As well as the FIA GT3 series. Believe me it does not go unnoticed by the avid sports car racing fans. And www.corvettemotorsport.com gives the links to watch most of the action. You can search for the links for nearly everything on Eurovision.

jerry

Callaway GT3 rocking it in Europe, already cinched driver's championship !!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoia
AFAIK, P&M has built 2 un-sold customer ZR1GT2's. Word has been that the cars cost significantly more than either the 430GTE or 911RSR.
I agree. I am a Corvette guy (street and race cars). However, from a strictly cost point of view (since racing = money) there can be no doubt that a Porsche RSR is the only car that makes sense for a new team entering GT-2 racing. According to the November issue of Road & Track the cost of the various GT-2 contenders is:
Porsche $430,000
Ferrari $650,000
Jaguar $550,000
Corvette $600,000
BMW $800,000

And, most of the build details begin with moving the major drivetrain pieces back and down......except for the Porsche of course. Follow the money and it will all make sense Porsche sells you a fully sorted car AND gives you factory support during the season....unlike Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To New C6R's for next year in ALMS ??

Quick Reply: New C6R's for next year in ALMS ??