Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Track Claw" Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Track Claw" Field Test

I have been a long time user of Formula V for years and a great fan of the stuff. As it happened, my local distributor was out of it; so I ended up buying Track Claw(PN 2995) instead: http://www.trackclaw.com/ . My only contact with the company has been technical advice on applying it, so I have no bias, one way or the other.
The tires I tried it on were Yokohama "Orange Oil" ENV R1 slicks that were 14 month old scrubs(I have put on (10) 20-25 minute heat cycles myself, no idea how many they had before I got them) that came off the back of GT3RS(280/680-18), so they are an inch taller(26.77 O.D.) than they should be. I always hated using these tires because they always seemed to be about 2 seconds slower than R100's or Dunlop slicks, about equal to R6's despite the diameter but they are all I got right now. They wear like iron.
Long story short, I treated these things by first cleaning the tires with my heated tire scraper, applied 3 very heavy coats and wrapped the tires in polyvinyl film(sandwich wrap) while sopping wet and kept them that way for 3 days, then allowed them to air dry for 2 days before the event.
My humble conclusion is that this stuff really works, the tires are instantly fast, so set your pressures accordingly. My first flying lap in the second session at Infineon in less than ideal conditions was the fastest, best I have ever done at this place. These evaluations are always subjective(track conditions, tires, car, driver, etc) but faster is faster. As the day wore on, track conditions improved, my driving gained more confidence and my lap times progressively got slower; lost about 2 seconds! At no time, were the tires worse than what I would have expected, had I of not treated them. The wear rate because of the reduced wheelspin is less.
The treated tires are undetectable by smell, but have a glossy molded appearance before they are scrubbed in; so if you want them to be totally stealth, drive them for a few miles on the street first.

Last edited by Sidney004; 03-08-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great!!! Sounds like my past experiences with FormulaV when I autox'd. I used to do the same application/wrap/storage as you described. I drove to my events to 'scrub' the slickness off the Victoracers then posted my best times before lunch...at which point the tires began to lose their 'stick' and go back to how they were pre-treatment.

How is the cost of this softener vs FormulaV?

Be good,
TomK
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996

How is the cost of this softener vs FormulaV?
The price per gallon is $10-$15 higher but you use 1/3 to 1/2 as much per treatment. With Formula V, I used to apply 3 coats per day for 3 days, with this stuff, 3 heavy coats, wrap them and thats it.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

excellent sounds like a good alternative, i have 2 jugs of formula v to use this year

Get notified of new replies

To "Track Claw" Field Test

Quick Reply: "Track Claw" Field Test