Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default feedback: DRM Bilsteins on a C5 w/ C5Z springs??

...Well I have used the crap out of the search function, believe it or not.

Like the title says, I have not seen too much discussion by C5 guys on the custom DRM valved Bilsteins. They were developed for the C6Z. Please post if you have a C5 w/C5Z OE springs and have run it on the road course with the DRM Bilsteins. Curious if they are a lot (noticably) better (read more rebound...more "tied down") for the c5 then the Sports.

Thanks guys,

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 AM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 03 Z06, other than the DRM valved Bilsteins it’s a stock suspension (proper alignment and corner weighted though). I never tried the standard Bilsteins sports so I can’t give you the comparison you’re asking for. However I can tell you my impressions of them in general. First ride quality, if that’s a concern, is firm but not uncomfortable to me. By comparison I think a stock Z06 rides pretty plush.

On track when driving over big undulations the stock suspension would compress and rebound with excessive motions that made me feel sea sick (sort of). With the DRM shocks the body motions were greatly controlled by comparison. The car felt much more planted. It was actually a fairly big change in attitude. For example, at my local track there is this particular nasty dip that presented itself at a slight angle, when driven at WOT (about 90 mph) the back of the car would step out slightly with stock shocks. The DRM shocks stopped that from happening.

The shocks seemed well matched to my suspension. A little too firm over sharp bumps (maybe) and very well damped in rebound, not so much that it’s trying to jerk your head off. The car did not demonstrate to me any kind of strange behaviors or nasty habits. I found the car just as easy to drive as ever.

Is the car any faster around the track, honestly I can’t say, but it feels MUCH better.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rgg16g
I have a 03 Z06, other than the DRM valved Bilsteins it’s a stock suspension (proper alignment and corner weighted though). I never tried the standard Bilsteins sports so I can’t give you the comparison you’re asking for. However I can tell you my impressions of them in general. .
Don't worry about the comparison to sports...that was great feedback

Cornerweighting is something I haven't done yet...where did you have that done?

Thanks a lot for the great write up,

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Don't worry about the comparison to sports...that was great feedback

Cornerweighting is something I haven't done yet...where did you have that done?

Thanks a lot for the great write up,

Andy
You're welcome. I had my corner weighting done a race shop in Spokane, WA, it's near to where in live.

Bob
Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Any one else have these on a C5 that can offer feedback?

Thanks

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I started I had Z51 & Bilstein Sports with T-1 bars and it worked good. Not sure how much valving is changed on newer DRM shocks but I doubt it is drastically different.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Shiels
When I started I had Z51 & Bilstein Sports with T-1 bars and it worked good. Not sure how much valving is changed on newer DRM shocks but I doubt it is drastically different.
Yeah the T1-bars w/Bilstein sports seem to be the tried & true C5 combo. I'm going to at least price the bars before making a final decision. Pfadt's new O'connell bars are almost as stiff at a reduced price.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

ttt
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Yeah the T1-bars w/Bilstein sports seem to be the tried & true C5 combo. I'm going to at least price the bars before making a final decision. Pfadt's new O'connell bars are almost as stiff at a reduced price.
bars were less than 600 when I bought them. Bilsteins were less than 300 I think 275
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Andy,
There is about 10 guys out in the whole world running this setup. I will try to find their contact information.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To feedback: DRM Bilsteins on a C5 w/ C5Z springs??

Quick Reply: feedback: DRM Bilsteins on a C5 w/ C5Z springs??