Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Racing announces release of Featherlite Double Adjustable Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pfadt Racing announces release of Featherlite Double Adjustable Coilovers

We here at Pfadt Racing have been winning races and developing products for the Corvette for years, and all the while we've fielded requests for a no compromises bolt on coilover solution for these cars. The culmination of months of work at Pfadt Racing and years of experience on the race track. We are extremely pleased to announce the release of our FeatherLite Double Adjustable Coilovers.

We are extremely focused on Corvette performance. As such you can be assured that this package was designed to be the premiere solution for high performance C5 and C6 track day and road race cars. These pieces aren't a high performance band aid, we had design goals specifically tailored to the C5/6 in mind at every step of the way during the long development of this system. Damping rates were designed and carefully chosen to work superbly for the C5 and C6 chassis, based on our years in the Corvette racing community. From the independent rebound and compression adjustment, to the proprietary low friction upper mount system, we engineered this package to drop lap times and put more Corvettes on the podium.

Taking a closer look at the entire design process sheds some light as to what separates the FeatherLite Doubles from the pack. Gathering user feedback and applying our racing knowledge we designed key points of adjust ability into this system that will allow Corvette owners to tailor their cars to any track situation and driving style. A few of these keys include:

Independent Rebound and Compression adjustment
Ride height adjustment
Custom spring rates available

While these adjustments aren't new to the Corvette world, what is new is the Corvette specific optimization and durable material selection to reliably put distance between you and the rest of the field. Our new BOA (Ball On Axis) upper shock mount system is an example of this commitment to reliability. We engineered the BOA upper mount to smoothly articulate across a wider range of motion with minimal deflection and to minimize dead length. Extra articulation in the upper mount reduces bind along the shock shaft, and the reduction in dead length allowed us to maximize available shock stroke that would normally be encroached by a traditional Clevis style mount. Threaded shock bodies are notorious for collecting road debris and jamming spring perches, our ACME threaded shock bodies alleviate some of the stubborn lock ring syndrome that are common on traditionally cut threaded bodies. The inverted design of the shock offers lower sprung weight than it's standard counterpart, but thanks to the use of an outer dust seal and inner oil seal you can rest assured that particulates will not make their way into the shock. The entire package is capped off by a hard anodized 16mm shock shaft for low friction and extra strength, this is 3mm larger than the stock shaft.

The remote canisters not only move compression adjustment to where it can be quickly accessed without removing the wheel, but they provide extra gas volume to prevent pressure buildup in the gas volume under large shock stroke events. The increase in gas volume and the subsequent decrease of pressure in the gas volume versus a conventional designed shock means more consistent performance over the service life of the FeatherLite. Manufactured from high strength aluminum and connected to the shock via sealed braided stainless steel line, the canister itself will perform flawlessly time and time again.

As proof of the overall durability of these coilovers we have built an in-house durability testing rig that punish our completed FeatherLites to probe their limits. Below you can see video of the rig in action. As of right now we have a set of FeatherLites that have far surpassed the half million cycle mark and they are still going strong. We have implemented these testing processes to ensure that your world class suspension components will remain world class no matter how much abuse these see at the track. Oil aeration is one key component to shock failure, to combat this issue we use a proprietary synthetic oil blend. After beating on this FeatherLite for over 500,000 continuous cycles we placed it on the shock dyno with no changes in the damping curves we designed into them from cycle 1. No shock will last forever, and should these need to be serviced we will offer rebuild services

How will they perform on track? You'll have to follow McBen Motorsports, they chose the FeatherLite Double Adjustables for their effort this year in ST2 competition. From a performance standpoint they are going to see benefits from the spring rates we specifically selected for heavy duty track use, and a package that sheds in total 4 pounds of unsprung weight compared to stock. Their track testing days will also go smoother thanks to the location of the rebound and compression adjuster *****. Gone are the days of drilling holes into your rear strut tower, now the rebound adjustment is conveniently located at the bottom of the shock, and the compression is on the external canister.

Not only are we confident in these products, GM is confident in them as well. After being contacted by GM about suspension tuning for a project car, these are the same coilovers that were on the Corvette Z06X. As such you can actually purchase the entire system from your GM parts department through the GM Performance Products catalog.

We are extremely happy with how the FeatherLite Double Adjustable coilovers have turned out. The first 5 sets are actually out and on customer's cars as we speak. Full scale sales will begin in April, and we are taking preorders now. As always we are happy that our commitment to the Motorsports community has turned out such a great product.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! Thank you!

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 03-16-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Price????
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great product as is everything Aaron offers.

I feel very lucky to be one of the first to install.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They look great and sound good. Without knowing the price, (which is sometimes what I use to gauge where they compete)... I'll just ask.. are these your high end CO's that would compete with say Motons?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcon
Price????
How much?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Price????
Where are they made?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GettReal
They look great and sound good. Without knowing the price, (which is sometimes what I use to gauge where they compete)... I'll just ask.. are these your high end CO's that would compete with say Motons?
We are absolutely targeting the premium race shock segment with the FeatherLight Double Adjustables. What makes us different is the amount of chassis specific design we've put into these for the C5/6. We are confident that these will perform awesomely on track!

All design, engineering, quality control and final assembly are done here in Salt Lake City, Utah. We have components manufactured in both the US and Europe.

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 03-16-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
Great product as is everything Aaron offers.

I feel very lucky to be one of the first to install.
There are some pictures of Your install on Pfadt's Facebook.
You attached the external canister to lower control arm - this is recomended location? I feel that this location does not benefit from low unsprung weight?

Any chance to have enough room through front upper arms for installing www.ramliftpro.com?

Thank You
Vit
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
We are absolutely targeting the premium race shock segment with the FeatherLight Double Adjustables. What makes us different is the amount of chassis specific design we've put into these for the C5/6. We are confident that these will perform awesomely on track!

All design, engineering, quality control and final assembly are done here in Salt Lake City, Utah. We have components manufactured in both the US and Europe.
thank you I guess price is coming when they are available for sale. What is ACME thread, sorry I am not familiar with the term?

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-16-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

There are some pictures of Your install on Pfadt's Facebook.
You attached the external canister to lower control arm - this is recomended location? I feel that this location does not benefit from low unsprung weight?

Any chance to have enough room through front upper arms for installing www.ramliftpro.com?

Thank You
Vit
Dan was actually the first customer to get these installed, we really appreciate the work he's done with us. We all agreed that we don't see much of an issue mounting the resovours on the control arm, as they only weigh in the neighborhood of 4 ounces. The final production kits will come with bracketry to mount them just about where ever you would like.

As far as RamLift goes, we never intended these FeatherLights to employ any kind of dynamic ride height adjustment. We haven't tested this system in correlation to any suspension we've ever designed, my feeling is they're probably unnecessary and we wouldn't recommend installing this with our coilovers. The FeatherLights have enough ride height adjust ability to get your car at or close to stock ride height if your concerned about ground clearance after install.

What is ACME thread, sorry I am not familiar with the term?
ACME Threads are a type of trapezoidal thread form. They look pretty much like traditional threads that have been blunted off, they are cut differently than a standard thread to allow for higher load carrying capacity. We use it for this reason, and because it's typically easier to clean road debris from between the threads. The threaded bodies are Type 3 hard anodized for further corrosion resistance. These features add up to easier use, and more durable ride height adjustment.

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 03-16-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price????
Found it on their website. $4,890.00 for a set of 4
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as RamLift goes, we never intended these FeatherLights to employ any kind of dynamic ride height adjustment. We haven't tested this system in correlation to any suspension we've ever designed, my feeling is they're probably unnecessary and we wouldn't recommend installing this with our coilovers. The FeatherLights have enough ride height adjust ability to get your car at or close to stock ride height if your concerned about ground clearance after install.
Thank You for Your reply!
...that system is not dynamic only enables temporarily increase ride height. I'm now about 1/2 inch below stock height, and I'm using Your inverted sport shocks. I'd like to further lower the car using drop spindles = another 1 inch lower, but this is makes me to use such a ride height adjustment system.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 AM
McBenMotorsports
Advanced

Install went excellent on our set! We have tons of pics of the product and installation. I will be sure to get them posted shortly.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 PM
rgg16g
Racer

........ Our new BOA (Ball On Axis) upper shock mount system is an example of this commitment to reliability. We engineered the BOA upper mount to smoothly articulate across a wider range of motion with minimal deflection...
Could you provide more details of of the BOA upper mount? I am curious how it works exactly.

Threaded shock bodies are notorious for collecting road debris and jamming spring perches, our ACME threaded shock bodies alleviate some of the stubborn lock ring syndrome that are common on traditionally cut threaded bodies.
Those are nice, glad I have them on my coil-overs.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by McBenMotorsports
Install went excellent on our set! We have tons of pics of the product and installation. I will be sure to get them posted shortly.
How about those pics of the install.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

So pictures are coming to us from the McBen Motorsports install. We are excited to see these in use soon! Keep following the McBen Motorsports team for updates as their season progresses.

Mounting for the External Canister

View from the back side, good detail of their brakes and our coilovers.

Excellent picture of the upper mount articulation at full droop.

Canister routing and mounting.

We have been running these coilovers every day on our own development C6Z and are taking orders now. They will be ready to ship by the end of next week, just in time to get your cars dialed in for the upcoming race season!

Please let us know if you have any questions about this exciting new product. We cant wait to hear impressions from the initial testing group.

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 04-27-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM
McBenMotorsports
Advanced

Here is a video from this past weekend.

A great battle between a ST1 Corvette, a SU 911, and the McBen Motorsports ST2 Corvette sporting: Pfadt Feather Lite Coilovers, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt Spherical Bearings, and Pfadt Carbon Fiber Driveshaft.

O yea forgot the link!!! lol

http://www.youtube.com/mcbenmotorspo.../2/opTGvrYyvm4

Last edited by McBenMotorsports; 04-22-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Racing announces release of Featherlite Double Adjustable Coilovers

Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by McBenMotorsports
Here is a video from this past weekend.

A great battle between a ST1 Corvette, a SU 911, and the McBen Motorsports ST2 Corvette sporting: Pfadt Feather Lite Coilovers, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt Spherical Bearings, and Pfadt Carbon Fiber Driveshaft.
Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/mcbenmotorspo.../2/opTGvrYyvm4
Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Great to see Pete and the McBen team proving what they can do out on the race track! Keep up the good work, and we will keep building quality components to put you on the podium!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

For those of you who are looking for more information on the B.O.A. upper mount system, we've put together a post and couple videos highlighting the important pieces of the system.

B.O.A. Mount Details!

FeatherLight Doubles will be able to ship Monday! We're really excited to fulfill the preorders we've taken and get people driving faster!

Quick Reply: Pfadt Racing announces release of Featherlite Double Adjustable Coilovers