Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motiv Power Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Motiv Power Bleeder

I just received my Power Bleeder and hooked it up to my 2004 Z06 with the speed bleeders. No matter how hard I tried the fluid would not bleed with the Power Bleeder, when I took it off and pumped the pedal everything worked just fine.

Has anyone used the Power Bleeder with speed bleeders on your car? If so how did you get it to work?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

You're pushing against the spring pressure of the bleeders. I found the Motive more trouble than it was worth with speed bleeders installed.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I use a Motive with Speed Bleeders and have no problem bleeding.

I don't put fluid in the Motive's bottle - I just use it for pressure. It works great with 10-12 psi of pressure.

Bob
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

One or the other, not both.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I had to remove the speed bleeders to get the motive to work. It would not produce enough pressure to get fluid past the springs in the bleeders. After swapping back to stock, it worked like a champ - very quick and easy.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep... one or the other. Personally I don't understand the whole point of speed bleeders as your really still need 2 people. One to hold the hose/bottle and make sure it doesn't come loose and another to pump the pedal.

You don't have to open/close the bleeder even when doing a traditional bleed. Just pour a little fluid in your bleed bottle and submerge the hose.

I purchased a Motive last summer and it's one of the best tools I've ever purchased. Now I can bleed my brakes w/o having to get my GF in the garage and in the car w/ it on jackstands and remind her what I need her to do etc. etc.

Just hook up the motive, pressurize to 15lbs, then crack the bleeder and let it run for a bit, then done and move on to the next corner.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feed back. I was afraid that the spring was the problem. Guess i will have to do it the "old fashioned way" with a helper and the pedal.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
Thanks for the feed back. I was afraid that the spring was the problem. Guess i will have to do it the "old fashioned way" with a helper and the pedal.
Why? Just install the old bleeders and make it into a one man job.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Wrong answer Put stock bleeders back in and use the Motive. It's far better than using speed-bleeders.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Why? Just install the old bleeders and make it into a one man job.
I bled mine last night for an event this weekend. As one gets done bleeding I move it to the next corner. While the next one bleeds I can start putting the tire on the corner I just finished and let the Motive do the work. I love the Motive bleeder.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Leave the speed bleeders in, hang the hose from the nipple, press the brake pedal with scrap 2x4 that's laying in the corner of your shop.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jason
Leave the speed bleeders in, hang the hose from the nipple, press the brake pedal with scrap 2x4 that's laying in the corner of your shop.
How do you do your right side calipers? Especially the RR? Maybe my clear tubing isn't as "good" as others, but I know mine wouldn't stay in place very well w/o being held.

My bleeder bottle consists of clear tubing from HD or Lowes, and an old gatorade bottle with a hole drilled in the cap.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
How do you do your right side calipers? Especially the RR? Maybe my clear tubing isn't as "good" as others, but I know mine wouldn't stay in place very well w/o being held.

My bleeder bottle consists of clear tubing from HD or Lowes, and an old gatorade bottle with a hole drilled in the cap.
Get smaller tubing or just use a zip tie or hose clamp to keep it on the bleeder. I love my speed bleeders.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redtopz
Get smaller tubing or just use a zip tie or hose clamp to keep it on the bleeder. I love my speed bleeders.
Sounds like a bunch of extra work.... putting a zip-tie or worm-clamp on each time I want to bleed.

I'll stick to my motive and holding the hose in place... the hose is the proper ID for the OEM bleed screw, but due to the way you have to bend it to clear the rear Z06 brake ducts it will sometimes pry itself off.

Fronts would probably stay on w/o issue, but since I'm already sitting there operating the bleed screw and watching the fluid for bubbles I hold it anyway.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd

My bleeder bottle has a magnet on it so I attach it to either a frame rail or whatever is handy.

The magnet doesn't seem to work too well on the body though....

Last edited by jwt1603; 03-16-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

That's a good idea... allows you to position the bleeder bottle such that the hose isn't overly torqued. Yeah won't work so well on the body of these cars
Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
One or the other, not both.
I like using the Motive, but the speed bleeders didn't seem to work well with it so I dumped them and went back to standard bleeders.
The Motive works like a charm now.

Get notified of new replies

To Motiv Power Bleeder

Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed bleeder was fine before the motive...
i don't fill the motive tank...too messy.. the cap stays on well.

i use 12psi...
all good w/ each monthly track daz.

switched to castrol... had to take a loan from the bank to buy the quart..
Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I love my speed bleeders, hate my motive power bleeder. Biggest waste of money ever. $45 shipped for a motive power bleeder anyone? never had fluid in it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Speed bleeders will eventually ingest some air as the sealant ages, earlier than later if you track the car.

Quick Reply: Motiv Power Bleeder