Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help C5 Oil Pan Choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 AM
LT70ZR91
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help C5 Oil Pan Choice

I am installing a 427 in my C5. I am trying to decide what oil pan to use. The car will be used for some road racing (HPDE / Driver schools) and autox. I have both the bat wing and the LS2 pan. What are the pros and cons of each one. I have a wet sump system and will use a 3 quart accusump. My main concern is engine life (OILING). What are your suggestions?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the batwing with the 3-quart accusump. I did the LS2 pan and accusump and started spinning bearings and getting low pressure warnings from DIC.

You should also have an oil cooler as big as possible and a shimmed and ported oil pump that makes as much pressure when cold as possible....becuase when it is hot the OP is going down for certain.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I know it's not what you want to hear but if your going to run R-compounds and push the car hard you should really look into running a dry-sump. If you are already doing the LS7 now would be the time to do the dry sump.

But like Danny said C5 batwing is better than the LS2 style, I'm sure there's a reason why the GM engineers tried to make up some bat-wing pans for the LS3 T1 cars - (before they all went to dry-sumps).

Actually Mike Tracy Sr. is selling one off of one of there T1 cars and can't be too far away from you for $800.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...2-and-ls3.html
Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The batwing is OEM on LS6 powered C5s.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
LT70ZR91
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Use the batwing with the 3-quart accusump. I did the LS2 pan and accusump and started spinning bearings and getting low pressure warnings from DIC.

You should also have an oil cooler as big as possible and a shimmed and ported oil pump that makes as much pressure when cold as possible....becuase when it is hot the OP is going down for certain.
I have a Ron Davis radiator with the engine oil cooler and a Katech wet sump oil pump. Do you think that is enough oil cooler? What about the oil pump? How much of a shim would you suggest?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running a stock 120k mile LS6, but in prepping it for the track I installed a LS4 high-volume oil pump with the 42psi relief spring and a DRM stand-alone oil cooler kit with the larger Setrab 625 cooler. Car makes high 40s at hot idle running Amsoil 10w40, car never gets below 50psi on track. Run the car on A6s.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LT70ZR91
I have a Ron Davis radiator with the engine oil cooler and a Katech wet sump oil pump. Do you think that is enough oil cooler? What about the oil pump? How much of a shim would you suggest?
I've got the same radiator. In Phoenix summers the stock rad with no oil cooler would give 230+ oil temps. The RD setup got the oil temps down to under 180 in the same conditions.

Get notified of new replies

To Help C5 Oil Pan Choice

Quick Reply: Help C5 Oil Pan Choice