Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY SKF hub install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default DIY SKF hub install?

Is there a DIY link for the hub install? I am going to tackle this in the next week or two.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't remember seeing a DIY how-to, but one bit of advice. Do not use a pickle fork to seperate the balljoints, you'll tear the boots and have to replace them. A normal balljoint seperator won't fit a C5/C6 setup either. For awhile I used a 2-arm pulley puller, but when I finally broke that I bought the proper Kent-Moore Corvette balljoint tool off of eBay for around $70 shipped. Money well spent.... I can get the balljoints apart in 30 seconds w/o worry of damage or trying to fit a pulley puller in there.

Also, if yours has never been apart the rears may be very hard to get the axle splines seperated from the hub as they'll be fused together with rust. get the axle nut off and douse it with penetrating lube i.e. PB Blaster and let it sit overnight, then use a 3-arm pulley puller to pop it free... that is if you can't get them lose to begin with.

Lastly, make sure you get the 3 hub bolts torqued to the proper 96 ft/lbs using red loc-tite... I've seen more than a few back out on track. This can be very hard to do with the spindle off the car. I found the best way to do it was to get them good n' tight using a big ratchet on my work bench, then take a towel to protect the spindle and clamp it in a good vice to achieve the final 96 ft/lbs.

HTH

EDIT - Duh... here's the how-tos: http://www.jakelatham.com/C5/misc/

Last edited by travisnd; 03-28-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I can't remember seeing a DIY how-to, but one bit of advice. Do not use a pickle fork to seperate the balljoints, you'll tear the boots and have to replace them. A normal balljoint seperator won't fit a C5/C6 setup either. For awhile I used a 2-arm pulley puller, but when I finally broke that I bought the proper Kent-Moore Corvette balljoint tool off of eBay for around $70 shipped. Money well spent.... I can get the balljoints apart in 30 seconds w/o worry of damage or trying to fit a pulley puller in there.

Also, if yours has never been apart the rears may be very hard to get the axle splines seperated from the hub as they'll be fused together with rust. get the axle nut off and douse it with penetrating lube i.e. PB Blaster and let it sit overnight, then use a 3-arm pulley puller to pop it free... that is if you can't get them lose to begin with.

Lastly, make sure you get the 3 hub bolts torqued to the proper 96 ft/lbs using red loc-tite... I've seen more than a few back out on track. This can be very hard to do with the spindle off the car. I found the best way to do it was to get them good n' tight using a big ratchet on my work bench, then take a towel to protect the spindle and clamp it in a good vice to achieve the final 96 ft/lbs.

HTH

good info...happen to have a part number for that Kent-Moore Corvette balljoint tool ??
Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moo...-_p_18553.html
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HTH

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you !
Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
Thanks for the info!
Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Thank you !
No problem... that's what these forums are for right
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

90% of the time you can loosen the ball joint nut (don't remove it, leave it to protect the threads), load the upright, and pop it with a hammer.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
90% of the time you can loosen the ball joint nut (don't remove it, leave it to protect the threads), load the upright, and pop it with a hammer.
Works all the time for my lowers if the car has been apart recently, but I can't get it to work for the uppers and they usually fight more than the lowers. On a car that's never been apart I've never had the board trick or your method work.

A mechanic buddy told me to loosen the nut then smach the spindle with a hammer as hard as I could and the vibrations created will make the BJ shaft pop loose.... I've never had the guts to do it on an aluminum Corvette part.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Works all the time for my lowers if the car has been apart recently, but I can't get it to work for the uppers and they usually fight more than the lowers. On a car that's never been apart I've never had the board trick or your method work.

A mechanic buddy told me to loosen the nut then smach the spindle with a hammer as hard as I could and the vibrations created will make the BJ shaft pop loose.... I've never had the guts to do it on an aluminum Corvette part.
It makes big dents.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
It makes big dents.
Yeah that's my fear... may work on a HD truck or something else and the concept makes sense, but don't want to be beating too hard one something like a spindle.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem... that's what these forums are for right
This forum is the best at it
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob P
Is there a DIY link for the hub install? I am going to tackle this in the next week or two.
Rob, maybe this will help. JD
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-tutorial.html
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

pitman arm puller FTW!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
pitman arm puller FTW!

I have the pittman arm puller and kent-moore tool. After using both, I only use the pittman arm puller now. Also, consider buying the Hardbar bolt kit.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
That's how I do it. Quick and painless.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a little help for my cousin.

he has already installed the fronts as well. now he is attempting the rears, any tips on how to do the rears?

Get notified of new replies

To DIY SKF hub install?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

About the same, but I took the entire spindle off. Don't know if you have to. But I don't think there is room to get to all of the bolts out without taking it off. Also one bolt on each side was really tight and I never would have gotten it out on the car. Just take off the axle nut and undo the upper and lower ball joints. Take off the e-brake cable and the speed sensor along with the tie rod from the Spindle. And you are good to go. You would also want disconnect the shock and sway bar from the lower control arm. JD
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

BTW I did a video of pulling the rear corners to do studs, which is the same as you would do for hubs.

Click below on the link in my sig.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the rear toe link off first........makes taking the caliper off easier as now it will 'rotate' for better access to the bolts..........and definitely helps when applying the 125 ft lbs of torque when reassembling. You don't have to crawl around under the car.

Quick Reply: DIY SKF hub install?