Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't we use the C5's existing structure for a cage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why can't we use the C5's existing structure for a cage?

The C5/C6 isn't built like any other car out there... the windshield frame is designed as the convertible so it can withstand a roll-over, and it already has a main hoop from the factory that's part of the chassis.

Why couldn't a cage builder connect the A-pillar to the main hoop, then use the existing main hoop to build the rest of the rear of the cage and the door bars off of?

Would make for a very roomy cage install....

Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i absolutely agree !!! this car is like no other and those simple ideas would make such a nice big roomy race car!!!

I have thought the exact same thing but these clubs have built there rules on age old ideas ,,good luck changing anything!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out your other thread. We did!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is made for a DOT roll over.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

the a-pillar is aluminum....although I agree the hoop is quite strong. You'll never get anyone to approve it though.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Many ppl remove the b-piller to get additional head room offered with a true cage.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
the a-pillar is aluminum....although I agree the hoop is quite strong. You'll never get anyone to approve it though.
I didn't know that 100%, but when I saw ALCOA on it last night it got me thinking.... good to know.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Many ppl remove the b-piller to get additional head room offered with a true cage.
Yes that is what I'm doing.... removing the roof and cutting out the b-pillar. Just annoying to have to do all of this when I've already got a perfectly good main hoop!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
It is made for a DOT roll over.
true...stock set up is not for rolling over and having another race car hit you at 90 mph!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where is the picture of the Yellow C6 with the b pillar crushed to the door level when you need it??? The factory A pillar is basically junk in my eyes, every car I have seen that was rolled over that has been broken. The B pillar is pretty strong but nothing compared to a 1 3/4 .120 wall tube. If you could attach other bars to it, you would have to put mounting plates on it aka uni body like build.

Smaller cages are stronger.......
Randy
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Where is the picture of the Yellow C6 with the b pillar crushed to the door level when you need it??? The factory A pillar is basically junk in my eyes, every car I have seen that was rolled over that has been broken. The B pillar is pretty strong but nothing compared to a 1 3/4 .120 wall tube. If you could attach other bars to it, you would have to put mounting plates on it aka uni body like build.

Smaller cages are stronger.......
Randy
I know the pictures you're talking about... I guess the real thing to do is just cut it all off and make the cage the roof and then use the WC roof skin and lexan front/rear... but that's more than I care to spend. As the goal is to still have funds to actually run the car
Old 03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by travisnd
I know the pictures you're talking about... I guess the real thing to do is just cut it all off and make the cage the roof and then use the WC roof skin and lexan front/rear... but that's more than I care to spend. As the goal is to still have funds to actually run the car
I've been there, Travis. My car was almosted totaled and we had the roof off to replace the rear tub. There's nothing wrong under SCCA or NASA rules the wouldn't allow you to incorporate the front under dash bar or the A & B pillar to the roll cage. Mine is connected to the B pillar in many locations to add to my main hoop, the A pillar is connected all the way down to my front hoop (See photos in other thread), welded to the main frame all the way front and back, and to the door pillar. The door pillar is 1,800 lbs test I heard. I used the original factory roof.

D.J. Covert
Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

So you used the factory under-dash bar in place of adding another and that passes NASA/SCCA tech?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

So you used the factory under-dash bar in place of adding another and that passes NASA/SCCA tech?
Yes, it will pass as it is 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel rounded square support is much thicker than the required tubing used for the roll bars. Seems like few realize it is there. Did you see the 1/4 steel flange Precision made to connect to the under dash support? This wasn't just an add-on roll cage, but designed to be part of the original car. Did you see the bends and welds? The tubes were sealed and argon was put into the tube before welding to make the inside of the weld as strong as the outside. Then they cut off end plates to attach each piece. Amazing work! Precision's specializes in building SCCA Boxster Spec cars. My Corvette was lonely with all the Porsches down there. They are very good at race prepping cars for those two sanction organizations.

Last edited by 96solo; 03-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Putting a bar smashed up against it loses about a inch and half of room. Many safe cars are built this way. My point was that the factory b pillar is not strong enough alone to support the weight of the car in a roll (at the track)

Randy
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

I'm 6'4"... I don't have 1" to spare.... which is why I'm going to such great lengths to preserve interior space.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 96solo
Yes, it will pass as it is 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel rounded square support is much thicker than the required tubing used for the roll bars.
it's also bent, not straight, and it will bend pretty easy in a crash (ask how I know)

if you look at the NASA CCR, the dash bar is considered "optional"
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
it's also bent, not straight, and it will bend pretty easy in a crash (ask how I know)

if you look at the NASA CCR, the dash bar is considered "optional"
Sweet... then I'll discuss tieing it into the cage with my cage builder vs. running a new one.

Get notified of new replies

To Why can't we use the C5's existing structure for a cage?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sweet... then I'll discuss tieing it into the cage with my cage builder vs. running a new one.
I am running a new dash bar (tossed the OEM one) so I can hang a new column and instrument set up, the OEM cluster sits way too high for me. But you're 6'4" so probably no issues there.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

I didn't realize that... I should have looked your setup over more closely. Are you running an entirely new column and cluster, or did yuo just lower the stock column down and set the cluster lower?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't realize that... I should have looked your setup over more closely. Are you running an entirely new column and cluster, or did yuo just lower the stock column down and set the cluster lower?
haven't gotten that far yet

Quick Reply: Why can't we use the C5's existing structure for a cage?