Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penske 8300 Remote Canister (Compression) Operation

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Penske 8300 Remote Canister (Compression) Operation

Penske doesn't seem to have any literature specific to the 8300 remote canister operation. Is it similar to the 8100, 8760 or the 8660 which they do have some explaination of?

Does anyone alter the shims in the remote canister to make tuning adjustments?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can contact Penske directly for tech support, it is not well known but they are very open/approachable for such

mattgiles@penskeshocks.com
Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Does anyone alter the shims in the remote canister to make tuning adjustments?
Chris,

You are absolutely on the right track with the shims in the canisters. That is how we fine-tune the bump and rebound, assuming the primary shock body is already valved for your particular chassis weight and spring rate.

I completely agree with Mark, that the Penske gang is most helpful - 610-375-6180 (PA). There is also a shock guru on Long Island who can help with valving and rebuilding, if necessary - Joe Stimola's Son 516-671-9715.

Ed LoPresti
Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to the Koni's???
Old 03-30-2011, 06:38 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Ed, can you influence rebound in the remote canister? I thought the 8300 only effected compression.

Scott, I sold the Konis because I wanted compression adjustment. So for $3,000, I now have an extra **** and a whole new world of opportunities to screw up my handling!

Chris
Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, Chris, I am not 100% certain about the 8300 Series. Naturally, the compression resistance adjustment is handled completely by the **** on the nitrogen reservoir.

Penske makes the blanket statement, "The double- and triple-adjustable shocks permit you to fine turn your valving requirements externally."

A telephone call to either Penske Racing, or Joe Stimola, will remove any ambiguity.

I know you did not ask for any additional opinion, but, for whatever it is worth, if you are fairly new to 2-way adjustables, I would not recommend twiddling (a technical term!) with any of the internals. Virtually every club racing formula car team we know has this stuff handled only by the experts.

Best,
Ed
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Thanks Ed.

I specified the shim stacks, and have rebuild them myself since then. So I've already deviated from the "experts" recommendation. I haven't found anyone that I think really knows autocross set up for shocks other than a few top competitors who keep there secrets to themselves. If nothing else, i'll learn from my mistakes.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 AM
jkittleson
Racer

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Thanks Ed.

I specified the shim stacks, and have rebuild them myself since then. So I've already deviated from the "experts" recommendation. I haven't found anyone that I think really knows autocross set up for shocks other than a few top competitors who keep there secrets to themselves. If nothing else, i'll learn from my mistakes.
Pretty easy to change the seals, shims and oil? Curious to what shim stacks you are running...

I own a set of 8300's as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Penske 8300 Remote Canister (Compression) Operation

Quick Reply: Penske 8300 Remote Canister (Compression) Operation