Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes a 1963-67 C2 autox seat?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Default Who makes a 1963-67 C2 autox seat?

I'm looking for an autocross seat for my 1967 roadster that is still basically a street car. With DOT 100 Nitto NT01 tires I slide all over the interior, and soon I'll be upgrading to much stickier Kumho V710s. The car gets a custom harness bar and harness next week as a first step in keeping me planted in the stock seat. However, I anticipate needing a seat with better torso bolstering. I still cruise around town and take trips in the Vette, so I can't use a Kirkey or other dedicated race seat; I need something more comfortable. Has anyone found such a seat that fits in a stock 1963-67 Vette?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

When I ran my 64 I used a seat from an 81 and it worked very well...also had a roll bar and 6 pt harness. Also put a steering wheel from a 71 and that made it much more manageable to autocross than the original. For the seat I added a 1/2 inch shim in the rear bolts to adjust seat angle but cannot remember if that was for me or for when my daughter started autocrossing.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw an ad somewhere for a set up you can use with your existing seat. Looked like a couple of pillows on each side connected with a non skid fabric that you sit on, effectively pinning you between the door and the center console and keeping you in place for autoxing with no alteration to your car. Looked like kind of a neat setup and a lot cheaper than a new seat.
Sorry I don't have any more info than that; I'm just going to steal the idea for when I get the body back on, and then build my own...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MyRed69
I saw an ad somewhere for a set up you can use with your existing seat. Looked like a couple of pillows on each side connected with a non skid fabric that you sit on, effectively pinning you between the door and the center console and keeping you in place for autoxing with no alteration to your car. Looked like kind of a neat setup and a lot cheaper than a new seat.
Sorry I don't have any more info than that; I'm just going to steal the idea for when I get the body back on, and then build my own...
Here's the company. http://angelwingstech.com/ $189 seems a tad steep for a couple pieces of foam and some fabric, so I'd make my own if that's what I wanted. Summit actually sells a racing-style street seat for $149, though I'm told it's junk, but at least it is more than two bits of foam and a bit of cloth!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordy M
When I ran my 64 I used a seat from an 81 and it worked very well...also had a roll bar and 6 pt harness. Also put a steering wheel from a 71 and that made it much more manageable to autocross than the original. For the seat I added a 1/2 inch shim in the rear bolts to adjust seat angle but cannot remember if that was for me or for when my daughter started autocrossing.

I already have a padded C3 steering wheel and it helped a bunch. I also have the Jeep steering box, which reduced lock-to-lock from 3.5 turns to 2.25.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default C-2 Autocross / Street Seat

I would lean toward the Corbeau A4 for a good compromise seat that is a break back to allow access to the rear compartment and adjustment for rake. I know they have seat tracks for the C-3 and suspect they would have for a C-2 also. Check out their website for pricing and to be sure they have a slider to match. The A4 or the TRS look like the best choice for both autocrossing and street driving.

The aluminum seats are great for track and autocross but just are too hard to get into and out of and lack enough padding for any extended street driving. I had one in my last C-3. The series 41 (Pro Street Drag) from Kirkey would come the closest to being useable.

I intend on going with a Corbeau Clubman in my current C-3. It's a convertible so getting to the rear compartment isn't as much a problem as on the coupe. It looks period correct for the older cars too! We ran it as our race seat on the C-3 I crewed in IMSA and SCCA back in the early 70's. It just does not have the rake adjustment so you'd better like the back to seat angle.

Have fun autocrossing that C-2. If I could have afforded one, that's what I would be doing but had to settle for a C-3 once I decided to get out of the newer car ('96 LT-4) for something that was easier to work on and had more personality.

Now tell me about using a Jeep steering box to quicken the steering. I've missed that mod on the forum and with power steering might be able to use it.
(Yes Joe and Capt. Jack, I'll bet it's not legal in Gp. IIB with NCCC. I need to just get over it and run what I want on the car in Group III. I'd get my butt kicked but have the things I want to do on my street car!)

Locke McCormick
North Florida Corvette Assn., NCCC
Buccaneer Region, SCCA
Jacksonville, FL

Last edited by Locke; 03-31-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My Ultrashield fits me fine
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM
GTR-Z51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the angel tech wings last weekend on my C6 for a local autocross. It worked great! You are really locked in the seat for autocross and when you are done it just pulls out and you are back to normal. I bought mine in the winter prior to a price increase. But it would take a bunch of time to sew together something that would do the same job. And racing seats are pretty costly.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Now tell me about using a Jeep steering box to quicken the steering. I've missed that mod on the forum and with power steering might be able to use it.

Locke,
I hadn't paid any attention to the TRS, but now I likely choose between it and the A4; thanks for the suggestion.

Here are a couple of links to the Jeep steering conversion:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...o-my-67-a.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ory-style.html

http://www.corvettesteering.com/index.html

As said by several CF folks, including me, if you can only make one mod to your early Vette, this is the one you want. In addition to the way waster ratio, you also eliminate the dead spot in the steering wheel when you're going straight down the highway. No more sawing slowly back and forth on the wheel to keep going straight. Search for "Jeep steering" in the C1/C2 and C3 CF sections and you'll find a ton of happy posters. I don't recall anyone on a forum regretting putting in a Jeep box.

Lou

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes a 1963-67 C2 autox seat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who makes a 1963-67 C2 autox seat?