Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood bleeders

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wilwood bleeders

Recently I have been getting a little bit of brake fluid leaking out of my Wilwood SL-6s at track days. I bleed them religiously, tighten both the the big and small nut afterwards, and clean the tips. I even wipe them off to see if it is any residual fluid. I have bled brakes on stock Z06's, racecars, and now the Wilwoods before.

It is just enough for for brake dust to stick to on the rim of my wheel, but I would rather not have to worry about it. I never had this problem before.

Are the bleeders a regular replacement item? Is there some sort of prep I need to give them to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Yes they are a regular replacement item. However, you just can't stop into any circle track race shop and pick the ones hanging on the racks. Most racers don't use the SL6 and Wilwood in their infinite wisdom made the SL6 bleeders different than the run of the mill Wilwood ones. Our local shop had to special order the Wilwood bleeders for me. If you look at your Wilwood parts sheet that came with the caliper I think you can find the bleeder part number. If it isn't there the Wilwood web page will have it or your local shop guy can look it up in his catalog.

I always used a 7/16 wrench to hold the bottom bleeder and then turned the smaller bleed screw to bleed the brakes. That way I didn't stress the seal and threads of the larger bleeder.

Bill
Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why turn the big one? That is why it is two piece. Aluminum does wear and they do it to prevent wear and so you can replace just the small bleeder and not have the caliper itself wear. I would seal it and not touch the one against the caliper anymore as Bill suggest. When I got mine I bought every part that they have for extras. Never had to replace the bleeders yet.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-01-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Why turn the big one? That is why it is two piece. Aluminum does wear and they do it to prevent wear and so you can replace just the small bleeder and not have the caliper itself wear. I would seal it and not touch the one against the caliper anymore as Bill suggest. When I got mine I bought every part that they have for extras. Never had to replace the bleeders yet.
Bill Dearborn

I always used a 7/16 wrench to hold the bottom bleeder and then turned the smaller bleed screw to bleed the brakes. That way I didn't stress the seal and threads of the larger bleeder.

Bill
What Bill said is what I was trying to express. Too many pain meds to write coherently.

thanks,
Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood bleeders

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wilwood bleeders