Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP Membership Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default NJMP Membership Question

I am considering joining the NJMP Drivers Club.

Curious if there are any members on here and if so feedback on membership.

I see the whole bankruptcy thing and am will to take that risk. My questions is whether you think it is "worth the expense" I fully appreciate that on a per event basis, unless you go to every event, it is "no bargain"

I'm not as much looking for a bargain, but more an atmosphere that is less crowded, and I won't be fighting for limited spots. A place where i won't have someone always on my back or someone always blocking me.

Curious on "Instruction" at these events as well. I have done about a dozen HPDEs and still run in the Novice groups because I like the fact that I get an instructor at the same time. I am sure I will be pushed up to an intermediate group (I am a slow learner), but I am wondering how you can get instruction for the intermediate group.

I would be curious on real experience and if you would do it over again.

I posted in the regional section but thought I might get some comments here as well. Apparently I can still get the 5K off initiation if I do it by Monday...
Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Snuckley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not hesitate to join if the schedule works for you. Last time I checked with NJMP , one deal was 10 days in NJ + 10 days at VIR. They pick the dates. I wanted more flexibility to drive on my "slow" work days and not be tied to dates ie. June 12. What if it rains June 12 or I get a work offer to make $2500 on June 12, but June 11th I'd only have $200 in business and the track wasn't available June 11. So for the self employed and still working hard guys like me I didn't join that program. That's my .02 on NJMP Driver's Club.
If you join, you will get everything you desire. Nice open track , all levels of instruction that would blow your mind. Most tracks are never idle. So you'd be rubbing elbows with pro's, R&D people from manufacturers and most would be willing to show you some tips besides the for hire instructors.
Best way to get more comfortable fast is a 3-5 day course in anything. I recommend open wheel because you are more connected and will acquire car control skills quicker.
Lastly , spend $$ on safety equiptment for your car. Have fun.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thanks. My impression is that you have unrestricted use of the 30 member days, you just pay a $150 track fee. The reciprical tracks like VIR ans Palm Beach are limted to 5 each. I hear some of the member send their cars down to palm beach in the winter. Not sure I am quite there yet, but it certainly sounds interesting.

I will double check on the usage limits for sure.

I have a stock C6Z other than coilovers and T1 bars but yes, seats and harness will be next.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live within 40 minutes of the track, was there opening day, and have done more track days on both Lightining and Thunderbolt, than I could physically do for much cheaper than the price of memebership. Also, it's not like I don't have access to all the facilities, resturant and everything they got to offer. I don't see the benefit. Also, even though you have 2 tracks to choose, you will get bored and will want to go to other tracks, so now you have all this money invested at one facility. I like to hop around (NJMP, Watkins Glen, Summit, Pocono and so on).

There are just SO many clubs that run there at varying prices. Most events I attended are not crowded and I have lots of open track time (more than I know what to do with). Just aviod the big clubs like NASA and SCCA, they are overcrowded. Most of the others struggle to get folks to attend and I fully use that to my benefit.

My thing is that even though I live close and membership would make sense, I just don't want to be tied down to a single facility. But you have to decide what is best for you. I figured, I would show you why I choose the path I took.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as instructors in intermediate, I can usually get one. Just have to ask. I've run with PDA/NASA, SCDA, hooked on driving. Unless they're short on people that day you can find someone to ride with you.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Contact forum member SLandstra_Z06, he's a member there.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thanks, lots of good info. I am going to see if I can make it to the member day tomorrow. Lining up a borrowed helmet, the full face requirement took me off guard. I had been using open face as I thought that was recommended for cars with still active airbags.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

With their original plan to have a long track I was planning to join. Figured with many different configurations I wouldnt get bored. With the change in track layout I decided to opt out. I personally dont like lightning for more than 1 day and although I like Thunderbolt the member only days were mostly single days which dont appeal to me either.

original track layout

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 04-03-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I'm a member too, though not terribly active. If I were to evaluate the membership on the math it would flip me out. I joined primarily because it gives me easy access to weekend track days. The groups you can run with around here are great and there's a lot of great folks, but most of the days are Monday & Friday for my work schedule that is just brutal. So define value to yourself before you starting "doing the math."

There are a lot of good guys down there, most willing to help, plus there are usually a bunch of instructors. The guys from Phoenix Performance are there most member days and they're ALWAYS willing to help with your Vette. Joe, Kurt and that gang are top notch people.

Feel free to PM me.

Get notified of new replies

To NJMP Membership Question

Quick Reply: NJMP Membership Question