Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you pay per autocross event?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Default How much do you pay per autocross event?

What are the going prices for autocross events? We are in our second year and we just bought some expensive timing equipment and other accessories. We have been charging $15 per 3/run event. We do three runs in the morning event and then do another event in the afternoon that also costs $15. To help recover our equipment costs I have been thinking of raising the price to $20 per event. Is this too steep or would it be accepted? I know that we should try to keep the cost to a minimum to get more people interested. These AX events are open to all cars.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If you can get a number of cars $15 isn't a bad price. The problem my club has we usually don't get a lot of cars. We usually get 10 drivers at an event. With a $500 charge for the go kart track and $100 for the timing equipment we need to charge a lot more per event or run more events. Being NCCC we will do 4 events in a day when we pay that much money. Then we charge $60 per driver to get a charge of $15/event.

Bill
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

We have been pulling in about 35 to 40 cars over the past three of four events. I'd like to see us get up to 60 or 70 cars now that we got some good timing equipment and software to go with it. I'm just trying to get a feel if $20 per event would scare people off. We are also running NCCC rules.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

As said, the number of entrants determines the cost as well as that of your expenses. Our SCCA chapter events cost $30 for members and $45 for non-members. We usually provide 5-6 60 sec runs. Other clubs change $30-35 and give as few as 3 runs of as little as 35-45 sec.

Venues can be expensive out here with $500-1,500 a day rental. Some organizers have found it necessary to change $50 to make any profit on an expensive site -- but one that is open and fast.

Corvette only events here draw over 100 cars typically and are very well done with courses more open than the typical SCCA events. They are usually around $40.

Personally, entry is the least of the costs of running and I was paying $15 to run in the late '60s. It's more about the perceived value (and proximity to home) than the cost. If Corvettes are saddled with little tight courses they could be free and not worth coming out to. Make your courses flow well, maintain good organization and stay on schedule and people will show up and come back.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

All good points... We give three runs of about 60 seconds on a tight course. We could open it up a bit but its tough to find large pavement around Washington DC that they will allow us to use. The DC Region SCCA has FedEx Field tied up and other venues are getting harder to obtain.

Originally Posted by dbratten
As said, the number of entrants determines the cost as well as that of your expenses. Our SCCA chapter events cost $30 for members and $45 for non-members. We usually provide 5-6 60 sec runs. Other clubs change $30-35 and give as few as 3 runs of as little as 35-45 sec.

Venues can be expensive out here with $500-1,500 a day rental. Some organizers have found it necessary to change $50 to make any profit on an expensive site -- but one that is open and fast.

Corvette only events here draw over 100 cars typically and are very well done with courses more open than the typical SCCA events. They are usually around $40.

Personally, entry is the least of the costs of running and I was paying $15 to run in the late '60s. It's more about the perceived value (and proximity to home) than the cost. If Corvettes are saddled with little tight courses they could be free and not worth coming out to. Make your courses flow well, maintain good organization and stay on schedule and people will show up and come back.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by biggrizzly
All good points... We give three runs of about 60 seconds on a tight course. We could open it up a bit but its tough to find large pavement around Washington DC that they will allow us to use. The DC Region SCCA has FedEx Field tied up and other venues are getting harder to obtain.
We've found two laps per run to give good seat time on smaller sites while maintaining an open yet technical course. Avoid too tight a turns and allow sections where faster, larger cars can get to 60-70 mph and you'll keep the entrants happier. A 5-7 cone slalom with 75' spacing on a diagonal part of your site will test most every driver and allow enough speed for them to mess up if overcooking it. .
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
AMEENR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NeOkla region SCCA group I run with charges $32 for 8 runs. Courses usually range 45-60 seconds.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our NCCC club has a good following with 40-60 drivers. We will do 4-6 two run events per day. We run both Saturday and Sunday charging 8-10 bucks per event based on the venue. When we use a real track and do hi-speeds the price goes up according.

Last edited by Gman57; 04-03-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM
gumby4mayor
Instructor

depends on venue. generally 35 for non members, 25 for members. 1 year membership is $50, which also gets you into TEST and TUNE events that are not open to non-members.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
chad156
Intermediate

Local AX here is $20 for test and tune on Saturday, its half the course and they use the other half for novice school.

Sunday is $30 for race day. 6 runs and its a mile long course, times are usually minute to minute 15 seconds.

Both include lunch...burger or dog, chips and bottle water
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default Cedar Rapids Corvette Club ( Iowa )

We put on a 2-day Speed Week-end in August at Hawkeye Downs Motor Speedway. Over two days, we have 12 events which are 2 runs each. This is a total of 24 runs. The cost is $10 per event. If you register ahead of time, the cost is $8 per event. Enter as many events as you wish.

Also, we feed you as much as you can eat on Saturday night , no cost to you. We have a very large following from all over the mid-west.
I never have heard a complaint and I only have heard good things said.

We have developed wonderful friendships through the years.

This Saturday, April 9, we are having a Practice Autocross Event from noon to 6 PM. We'll have a couple course set-ups. For $10 you run as many times as you want to!

Hope this helps.

Roger T : )
Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't auto-x since 2007 when I got my car but $20 was a good price then. $30-35 more the norm. Let them have some "fun runs" at the end--for those not super competitive, that's what it's all about anyway. $30 for 2-3 runs and no fun-run plus spend most of the day is what drove me to HPDE instead.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

We run $30 per event. Includes 5-6 runs depending on course layout and number of cars. We average about 60 drivers. It's all day, 10am to about 3-4pm, and even includes beverages and lunch. It's the best deal ever. I think the two spots we rent aren't that expensive and it's volunteer based. Some one different chairs the event nearly every month so there isn't much overhead. http://wedrivefast.com It's an absolutely great group to run with here in the tampa bay area. We also aren't associated with SCCA or NASA so that keeps costs way down at well. I think they got up to $50-55 per event for sanctioned events, but that was before I started running with F.A.S.T.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

BMW and PCA groups charge around $25-35 per event, 8-10 runs per event.

NCCC charges $20 per event, 2 runs per event. Seven events per day, $140.

All above at the same venue.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Our association charges $30 if you are a member of one of our member clubs or $40 if you are not. With usually 40+ cars in attendance, we typically provide 6 runs and 7 if the autocross gods are smiling (timer works, no rain, no vehicle issues.) Runs tend to be in the 60 second area. We use an old runway with 2200 feet available to us.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
96BAM
Instructor

Our Club is NCCC. When we put on a event we have 7 events. $75.00 per person with pre registration. $95.00 at the track. You get 2 runs per event. That comes out to less then $6.00 a run. We usually have 35 to 50 drivers.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 96BAM
Our Club is NCCC. When we put on a event we have 7 events. $75.00 per person with pre registration. $95.00 at the track. You get 2 runs per event. That comes out to less then $6.00 a run. We usually have 35 to 50 drivers.
Several have mentioned multiple events per day with separate entry fees per event. Will someone elaborate on this as I am not familiar with this or why it's done?

Out on the left coast we have an event a day. If SCCA, it's usually divided into run groups containing assigned classes of cars per their rules. Two or three groups run in the am and two or three in the pm. This allows most entrants to be onsite half the day. Classes advance to the next run group for the next event to distribute when during the day you run.

NCCC clubs also run an am & pm pair of groups but typically let you show up for whichever fits your schedule or run preference. Any class can run in any group.

Each day is an event with a single entry fee. Two events here is Saturday and Sunday.

It's not uncommon to have well over 100 entrants and can exceed 300+.

Get notified of new replies

To How much do you pay per autocross event?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Rag Top
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the region. I am NCCC, and in the West Region I see $10 or less per event. In the Rocky Mountain region it is anywhere from $10 to $35 per event, some include lunch. I will tell you that the $35 gets a lot of grumbles, but people pay it if they are chasing points. These are all for low speed, two-run events

I would suggest figuring what the range is in your area, and price accordingly. The better the venue, and the larger the course, the more you can push the upper end of the price range.

ps. For the NCCC folks, check the new insurance information if you have not already do so.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Local SCCA is 25 for members and 35 for non-members. This gets usually 2 heats of 3 runs each (6 total laps) plus 2 work periods. The track is a fairly small parking lot with a lot of sand/dirt. I haven't been doing this long but so far there seems to be 50ish cars normally and as much as 80.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
Several have mentioned multiple events per day with separate entry fees per event. Will someone elaborate on this as I am not familiar with this or why it's done?
This seems to be a NCCC-specific phenomenon. As I understand it, NCCC rules require a minimum of 2 runs per "event" to count for activity points. Therefore NCCC groups run multiple events per day, making little or no changes to the course between events, but calling them unique events. That maximizes the amount of points the participants can earn.

I may have the above wrong, please correct me if so.

Have a good one,
Mike

Quick Reply: How much do you pay per autocross event?