Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Trans/Diff Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
rad_vet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRM Trans/Diff Cooler

Here goes my dumb question...

I installed DRM trans and diff coolers with about an extra quart of fluid in each about a year ago (filled the coolers and lines with them hanging below the trans and diff, then filled the diff and trans, sealed it up and mounted the coolers). I don't drive the car much (just to, from, and at the track). I always run the electric pumps when drive. However, I would like drive the car more on the street and not run the pumps due to the noise and wear and tear to the pumps. I did a search, but did not find anything that indicated not running the pumps was acceptable except a comment from Randy at DRM. He stated "pumps on with the helmet on, pumps off with the helmet off."

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my DRM pumps on my Z06 for at least 5 years and prior to it being converted to an all track vette. I would never use them on the Street and depending on track temps (<50 degrees) I would not turn them on. However, last year at the Ultimate Track Car Challenge (UTCC) temps were in the 100+ degrees I never turned them off...even in the pits for about 25 minutes (switch to the battery then a relay, battery charger on) I would let them run to cool the Diff and Trans temps down.

Thanks Randy and Doug.... DRM Rocks
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

^ I agree - I never use them on the street.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's fine not to run the pumps on the street. I have had them about 9 years.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just recently changed the fluid in both and the diff fluid was nasty. I looked on DRM site about the coolers and it states "They mount in the factory ZO6 duct location.". I have my brake cooling ducts up front in that location. You folks that have these coolers, where did you mount them?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mfquinn
Just recently changed the fluid in both and the diff fluid was nasty. I looked on DRM site about the coolers and it states "They mount in the factory ZO6 duct location.". I have my brake cooling ducts up front in that location. You folks that have these coolers, where did you mount them?
It mounts in the rear brake duct area. Using the scopes to draw in air into the cooler.

Randy
Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Street driving requires no cooler. So just turn them off.

Randy
Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that the rear air scoops do a whole lot (C6), so Randy, there is no worry about less air getting to the rear brakes then?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mfquinn
Not that the rear air scoops do a whole lot (C6), so Randy, there is no worry about less air getting to the rear brakes then?
Rear brakes don't need the coolers
Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

DRM installed my coolers behind the rear brake ducts when they built my old One Lap car. Worked great. Ran the car over 15,000 street miles after the coolers were on the car. Same advice from Doug and Randy 10 years ago. Run on the track, off on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Trans/Diff Cooler

Quick Reply: DRM Trans/Diff Cooler