Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 ZR1 Brakes on a C5 - Serious Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Default C6 ZR1 Brakes on a C5 - Serious Inquiry

Gentlemen,

I would like to know if any member of this forum has actually installed or knows first-hand of someone who has installed C6 ZR1 brakes on a C5?

I would like to here about the factual physical installation concerns.

I have just intalled 19 x 10 inch front and 20 x 12 inch rear wheels, so I know I have clearance for the brakes.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I have no knowledge of anybody that has put the ZR1 brakes on a C5 - I think you'll be the pioneer of this mod!!!

Take a look at this thread. You can see that RichieRichZ06 is the contact guy to get more info. He has sold ZR1 brake kits to quite a number of C6 owners - the kit is going for around $8,000:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-under-8k.html

Initially there was concern that they might not work on anything before 2009 because Chebie changed from a Delphi ABS to one made by Bosch at that time.

However, I don't think that matters at all. Essentially you're just adding a BBK, and I think your ABS controller (EBCM/BPMV) will recognize a wheel locking up no matter what rotor, caliper, pad, tire, brake fluid, or driving shoe is doing it.

I think if it will fit on your car that it should work just fine, but you may be the first one to do it on a C5. Contact RichieRichZ06 to see what he knows.

Let us know if it works!!!

Bob
Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Unless the piston sizing is dramatically different on the Carbon brakes compared to other C5/C6 kits, the car won't know the difference. Should be completely bolt on other than perhaps the brake lines.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do it be sure to post pics... not many people spending real money on innovative C5 stuff anymore. C5 General has devolved into repair help, stickers, and other cheap do-dads. One of the more popular thread now is showcasing your cheap DIY mods!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Unless the piston sizing is dramatically different on the Carbon brakes compared to other C5/C6 kits, the car won't know the difference. Should be completely bolt on other than perhaps the brake lines.

Dave,

My investigation of the changeover says you must install the C6 front knuckles on the C5. After that, it's a direct bolt on.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

need larger or 19" plus wheels.

big questions is why?

the rotors and pads are expensive, and do not stop as well as iron rotors and normal pads.

the c6Zr1 carbon/carbon rotors and pads are not like race rotors and pads on the older C6R
Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the consumable replace cost if it matters to you? How fast are they consumed.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
need larger or 19" plus wheels.

big questions is why?

the rotors and pads are expensive, and do not stop as well as iron rotors and normal pads.

the c6Zr1 carbon/carbon rotors and pads are not like race rotors and pads on the older C6R

Tom,

You are correct about the wheels. I just had L.G. Motorsports and H.R.E. build me a set of wheels that will fit under a tubbed C5 and clear the ZR1 brake package on a C6.

GM has just released an improved pad for the ZR1 brakes that makes them more competitive.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels

What is the consumable replace cost if it matters to you? How fast are they consumed.

The price I have from GM Parts House for front pads is ~ $310 and the rear pads are ~ $ 230.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
The price I have from GM Parts House for front pads is ~ $310 and the rear pads are ~ $ 230.
What about rotors?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mgarfias
What about rotors?

The rotors are ~ $1,360 each.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The rotors are ~ $1,360 each.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I would have to run those new pads. as for the normal pads that came with the carbon carbon, they were poor at stopping.

wonder if one could get pads directly from Brembo or Hitco ?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I would have to run those new pads. as for the normal pads that came with the carbon carbon, they were poor at stopping.

I live about 6 miles from Brembo's Engineering - Sales offices that support the Big 3. I will have to stop by there and see if they will talk with me.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I live about 6 miles from Brembo's Engineering - Sales offices that support the Big 3. I will have to stop by there and see if they will talk with me.
The brembo carbon carbon rotors and pads are made in southern Indiana by Honeywell ceramics plant. IIRC

Hitco is in Orange county Calif
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

may be you need certain pads (OEM) to run with the OEM carbon rotors?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Have you driven a Carbon, Z07 or ZR1 on track that had the burnishing procedure done? I did and I can say they are nothing shy of amazing. I drove a 30 minute session hard and the brakes were the least of the cars worries.

FWIW, Spring mountain is seeing ~5000 track only miles from a set of pads/rotors. Most of us that do a few track days a year can see 50k miles out of a set of them.

I bet the overall difference in cost over 3 years is about the same as replacing pads and rotors multiple times with a steel kit.

I've sold a few of these kits to Z06 owners over the last few months, but I've not heard of anybody trying it on a C5 yet. Logic would tell me that it will work because the C6Z brakes are a bolt on to a C5 and the ZR1 brakes are a bolt on to the C6.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 ZR1 Brakes on a C5 - Serious Inquiry

Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Like Rich says, Spring Mountain's cars are exclusively track cars.

Ken from Spring Mountain responded in another thread:

Sorry it took a while to get back with you, I was checking with the mechanics. Here are the answers I got:

The cars are holding up great, no major issues. They are completely stock, we even leave the DOT 3 brake fluid in…..it works fine.
We are seeing 5 – 6000 miles on a set of pads…..the Michelins are awesome tires, the wear rate is good but it depends on the driver.
We have no unexpected wear issues with any of the components…..the ZR1 is an Awesome car!

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Ken
Thanks for the info Ken! ......Any info on rotor wear, as that seems to be the priciest item in the brake setup and one many of us have been concerned about?
Here is the answer I got from the boys:

"For our conditions using the cars in the schools we’re looking at rotor replacement every 12,000 miles."
Ken
Bob
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the opportunity over the weekend to take one of my new C6 knuckles up to a friend's Corvette race shop where he has C5 knuckles. We did some measuring and took some pictures.

This first picture is of a C5 knuckle on the left next to a C6 knuckle on the right:

One of the first things that we noticed is that the C5 knuckles are made by a sand casting method. This is a zero pressure casting method, which does contain some voids and shrinkage tears.

The C6 knuckle is made either by high pressure casting or it's a forging. Most likely it's a high pressure casting. You can see how a trim die has removed flash from the edges of the piece.

The next picture is a closeup of the C5 knuckle:

The area where we noted the greatest difference between the C5 sand casting and the C6 knuckle is in the brake caliper attaching bosses and supporting beam. Note the rather thin beam between the two caliper mounting bolt holes.

The final picture is a closeup of the C6 knuckle. Note the much thicker caliper mounting bolt and beam area:

Corvette engineers added a lot of matieral to the C6 knuckle in the caliper mounting area to stop the deflection that Chief Engineer Juechter told me about at Carlisle last August. Also, as can be seen in the photographs, there have been significant changes in the forming methods of the C6 knuckle when compared to the sand cast C5 knuckle.

One other significant difference that we noted, but that does not show up in these pictures, is that the steering arm on the C6 knuckle is significantly shorter than on the C5 knuckle. That means that the C6 steering ratio is faster than the C5 steering ratio.

-

Last edited by Pumba; 05-23-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

nice post Pumba thanks!

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-23-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 ZR1 Brakes on a C5 - Serious Inquiry