Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone RE-11s for track days question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bridgestone RE-11s for track days question

I just switched from run-craps to the RE-11s and I wasn't sure what pressure to be using. What should I start with (cold) and what should the optimal pressure be once they are heated up?

Also, Roebling chewed up the inside of my front drivers side tire. It looks like these tires are asymetrical with just the "outside" and "inside" labeled on the tires (no directional arrow). So I guess when I go back to Roebling I should just switch the two front tires to the opposite sides? The one tire was chunked pretty bad. I had about 800 highway miles on them before the track event and I started each session with 32lbs cold.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I just switched from run-craps to the RE-11s and I wasn't sure what pressure to be using. What should I start with (cold) and what should the optimal pressure be once they are heated up?

Also, Roebling chewed up the inside of my front drivers side tire. It looks like these tires are asymetrical with just the "outside" and "inside" labeled on the tires (no directional arrow). So I guess when I go back to Roebling I should just switch the two front tires to the opposite sides? The one tire was chunked pretty bad. I had about 800 highway miles on them before the track event and I started each session with 32lbs cold.

Thanks.
Are you running stock size or 265/35-18 & 305/30/19?

I have one season and ~7 track days (including Watkins and Mosport), and over 5000 miles of street driving on mine and they are in great shape. No chunking whatsoever. Were yours defective? How hard were you pushing? Did you let them warm up a little before going hard?

As for pressure, I run between 34 hot front and 32 hot rear. I usually start at 30 and bleed air after each 20 min session.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Forgot to ask, what's your alignment?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM
mfquinn
Pro

I am running 265/35x18 front and 305/30x19 rear. I didn't go that hard and tried to get them warmed up. Roebling Roads has three loooooong right radious turns that could be the reason. My other front tire had no chunking at all. And the rears looked good.

My alignment is very close to the following, the print out is in my glove box and I am up north right now so I can't get to it. I wanted the following but ended up with something close but a tad more stock:

Front

1.9-2 neg camber, 0 toe, max caster as can get - 6.8-7.0

Rear

1.2 neg camber, 1/16-1/8 toe in
Old 04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
Are you running stock size or 265/35-18 & 305/30/19?
Are you running these sizes? I plan on doing more track days this year...

It's between these as double duty or dedicated wheels w R888s. Are they sticky enough to have some fun and hang with some decent drivers?

How do they do on the freeway in big rain?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
mfquinn
Pro

I live in Florida which means lots of rain. Tirerack did a test and these did very well with wet weather traction. I too use these as my daily driver tires and on the track. Next season I will go to dedicated track tires but for now I am still learning. I will be at Sebring this weekend and I have done 6 track days there before with my Firestone run-craps so this will be a good test to see the difference on the new tires. Roebling Roads was my first time at that track so I can't really compare as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Bridgestone RE-11s for track days question

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE-11s for track days question