Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever have a K&N-type (cotton-gauze media) filter get contaminated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone ever have a K&N-type (cotton-gauze media) filter get contaminated?

I purchased a beat up Haltech off of the forum awhile back for stupid cheap ($40 cheap). It was nasty and in need of a good cleaning. I finally put it on my car (running smaller tires freed up mod points) and it keeps dripping filter oil to the point I have red drops under the car.

I've been using K&Ns for years so I know how to clean them and how much oil to apply etc. I cleaned the filter with the K&N specific cleaner 3x, let air dry over night, then oiled as I normally do. Let the filter sit on the work bench another evening and installed.

Next few days I see the mess and clean it all up.... took the intake off ofthe car and set it on the bench and took a shop towel and screw driver and soaked up any excess oil in the pleats. I ran it at VIR a few weeks back w/o issue.

Well this weekend I noticed a few more red drops under the car and sure enough it's K&N oil.... All I can think is that the filter got enough oil/grease/etc. on it that the fibers simply won't absorb/hold the oil and that it'll just slowly continue to seep off the filter?

Anyone ever see anything like this happen? I can see the top part of the filter pleats getting lighter as the oil slowly migrates down the filter to the lower end.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I purchased a beat up Haltech off of the forum awhile back for stupid cheap ($40 cheap). It was nasty and in need of a good cleaning. I finally put it on my car (running smaller tires freed up mod points) and it keeps dripping filter oil to the point I have red drops under the car.

I've been using K&Ns for years so I know how to clean them and how much oil to apply etc. I cleaned the filter with the K&N specific cleaner 3x, let air dry over night, then oiled as I normally do. Let the filter sit on the work bench another evening and installed.

Next few days I see the mess and clean it all up.... took the intake off ofthe car and set it on the bench and took a shop towel and screw driver and soaked up any excess oil in the pleats. I ran it at VIR a few weeks back w/o issue.

Well this weekend I noticed a few more red drops under the car and sure enough it's K&N oil.... All I can think is that the filter got enough oil/grease/etc. on it that the fibers simply won't absorb/hold the oil and that it'll just slowly continue to seep off the filter?

Anyone ever see anything like this happen? I can see the top part of the filter pleats getting lighter as the oil slowly migrates down the filter to the lower end.

Have you tried a wet vac with the pointy attachment and run it into all the pleats? That should remove a bunch of the excess without waiting for it to evaporate.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

No, never tried a vac... good idea.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The oil is collecting at the lowest point & if this is one of those round filters, the low point is the drip point. On the rectangle filters the low point is spread out across the filter.

As long as the maf wire is ok, I don't think it's a big deal, eventually it'll stop dripping.

Can you twist it so bottom becomes top & excess oil redistributes?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

It's a Halltech filter... not a drop-in panel filter. I'm not sure sure it'll stop dripping... I've had these filters on C5s for nearly a decade and they've never dripped oil like this. I didn't over-oil it.... oiled it like I've done for years.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
It's a Halltech filter... not a drop-in panel filter. I'm not sure sure it'll stop dripping... I've had these filters on C5s for nearly a decade and they've never dripped oil like this. I didn't over-oil it.... oiled it like I've done for years.
Oil evaporates it may take a while.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Oil evaporates it may take a while.

When I do my K&N I let it dry in the sun after I wash it & then I "dust" it with K&N oil and let it sit a day.

On top of some newspaper & flat

The red K&N oil is very light oil & should evap pretty good.

I still say put a rag under it & give it time. Maybe a little pool of oil is finding a spot to accumulate in the filter? I never had one so not sure of the structure. Is it in an air box like stock or just out in the open?

http://www.halltechsystems.com/product_p/v2026.htm

Wow they have a bunch of filters.

$$$$$

Last edited by froggy47; 04-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever have a K&N-type (cotton-gauze media) filter get contaminated?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have a K&N-type (cotton-gauze media) filter get contaminated?