Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Racers or Autocrossers - Brake Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C4 Racers or Autocrossers - Brake Pad Question

C4 Racers or Autocrossers, we need a little help here.

For those of you using the J55 front brake kit, what Hawk Blue part number pad are you using?

If using some other aggressive bite pad, what is it (brand and p/n) , and perhaps I can cross-reference.

Thank you,
Ed LoPresti
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawk DTC70's
Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
For those of you using the J55 front brake kit, what Hawk Blue part number pad are you using?
I believe the Hawk Blues are part number HB111E-610

My all time favorite is the Raybestos ST-43 part number R412
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Ed, for track duty I would use the DTC70s. For autocross I would use the HP Plus or GM Pads. When I had my white 86 I put the J55 brakes on the front and ran PFC 83 compund in the front and 80 compound in the rear. However, that was 15 (amazing) years ago and those were about the best pads you could get then. At places like the Glen that old 230 HP car would run out of steam at 124 mph at about the 600 ft on the back straight so I didn't need anything more than those brakes gave me. Didn't need to scrub a lot of speed. The 97 with 345 HP would peak out at 137 at the same place. Not sure where you will end up with your LT1 but I would expect it to be 130 to 135 if the engine is still stock so you will need to scrub 40 to 50 mph for the turn into the bus stop.

Bill
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Sidney004
I believe the Hawk Blues are part number HB111E-610
Thanks Sidney,

I know the 111E-610 will work with the Baer calipers on the 12" rotors, but I thought a different P/N (size) might be required for the 13" rotors.

Actually, we have some used 111E-610 around. I should stop being so lazy and simply try a corner.

Ed
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by The Bus
Hawk DTC70's
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Ed, for track duty I would use the DTC70s . . . . . and ran PFC 83 compund in the front and 80 compound in the rear. However, that was 15 (amazing) years ago . . . . .
Well, two authoritative votes for DTC70s. I guess I had better do my homework and find out about these.

Bill - I think it is very telling that, even as long as "15 (amazing) years ago", you were fine-tuning your front-to-rear brake bias with differing compounds. See you at the track in about a month!

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 04-05-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelking
Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The "hot ticket" for the C5Z's is DTC70 front and DTC60 rear. I personally run DTC60's front and rear, easier to modulate without ABS. But I also have 4 piston aftermarket calipers and not J55's so take my results with a grain of salt.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Scary,

Along with the other gentlemen who have been good enough to reply with actual experience from the track, I would never take any of your posts with the proverbial grain of salt.

As a matter of fact, we have a couple of used, slotted Wilwood 13" rotors and hats in the shop right now, that I am attempting to fit with the J55 calipers. Since the car has not yet turned a wheel on the track, I am reluctant to make too many chassis changes before it has a chance to tell us what it wants and needs.

Ed
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

OK, Gentlemen, I think I have refined my question -

It appears so far that the later C4 "stock" calipers, and the J55s, can use the exact same pad. I am puzzling on why that is so, since the rotors are different diameters.

Is it just that on the 13" rotor, the pad contacts less of the swept surface? And if so, then is there an alternative pad that more fully utilizes the larger rotor?

Just trying to understand this better.
Ed
Old 04-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Rag Top
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
OK, Gentlemen, I think I have refined my question -

It appears so far that the later C4 "stock" calipers, and the J55s, can use the exact same pad. I am puzzling on why that is so, since the rotors are different diameters.

Is it just that on the 13" rotor, the pad contacts less of the swept surface? And if so, then is there an alternative pad that more fully utilizes the larger rotor?

Just trying to understand this better.
Ed
The only difference in the calipers is that the J55 has more room between the sides to allow for a thicker rotor. The brackets move the caliper out to allow it to clear the larger diameter rotor. If anyone has ever found a different pad, I have not heard of it. The problem would be that the pad would not be supported evenly by the caliper.

BTW, if you decide not to use those Wilwoods, I am in the market.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Michael,

That makes a lot of sense - thank you.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Racers or Autocrossers - Brake Pad Question

Quick Reply: C4 Racers or Autocrossers - Brake Pad Question