Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for answers about sterring column

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for answers about sterring column

I have to decide if I am going to fight with the standard column or go with a new one (s).

The tilt telescopic is attractive due to the fact that we have three different sized drivers.

But I have told in a somewhat "cold" fashion that there is NO WAY to make that work in a C4. and Oh you suck for even saying C4?

That sort of talk usually sends me to the machine tools, but I am trying to get set for a June try at Road Atl. and still have painting and the first round of "oh... that broke "! to contend with.

Anybody now were I can buy reasonable wheel that comes off in a planned fashion for the stock column.

Alternative is making three shafts of different length to fit up to "racing " column...??

And I cringed when I had to by the second seat ?? [ Different derriere dimensions!]

TJM
Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM
TJM
Drifting

Ounce again I find it easy to find my post .... look for the Zero replies.

Wish I had asked which shocks.. now there is a pithy question....

clearly ... time to go off to the machine shop.......
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Nobody likes C4s.... thus we don't care about your question If it was a C5 I could tell you all about the hub adapter and quick release setup I went with, but I have no idea if it works for C4s.

Setting up a race car for people of different sizes sucks.... you wouldn't try to share golf clubs with a 4' 6" woman would you?

You could definately have different wheel setups spaced out different amounts, but then what about the pedals? Is your race seat on a slider?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This is what I've used on a race car in the past. Excellent product and relatively inexpensive. I bought two u joints and welded up my own shaft to attach the column to the rack.
SCA827
http://www.woodwardsteering.com/imag...%20columns.pdf
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by travisnd
Nobody likes C4s.... thus we don't care about your question If it was a C5 I could tell you all about the hub adapter and quick release setup I went with, but I have no idea if it works for C4s.

Setting up a race car for people of different sizes sucks.... you wouldn't try to share golf clubs with a 4' 6" woman would you?

You could definately have different wheel setups spaced out different amounts, but then what about the pedals? Is your race seat on a slider?
Would not affect my Golf game? Spent a good bit of the day beating on this dead horse... still dead

I am pretty much resigned to using a Moroso or Wilwood cheapo unit and dealing with what ever issues come up.

Does not sound like there is a box with my part in it?

No. No slider some mumbling about SF rule something or other? The gentleman that did the roll cage for us, did a good job with the seat. Three seats of drilled holes to accommodate the difference in leg lengths. Not hard to move the Kirkey seats.

A foam cushion boosts the height issue, which is not a big deal oddly?

Arm length comfort is a little harder to overcome.

Thanks

TJM
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by trackboss
This is what I've used on a race car in the past. Excellent product and relatively inexpensive. I bought two u joints and welded up my own shaft to attach the column to the rack.
SCA827
http://www.woodwardsteering.com/imag...%20columns.pdf
Had a plan to use a new collapsible column. The Cage Builder convinced us too. Then when he got into it, he decided to leave the tilt Telescopic.

Frank's a pretty straight shooter and has built a lot of cars, but this was his first C4. He expected to find an off the shelf unit... Ha... did work out that way.....

Thanks for the input... research says I'll be modifying something.

TJM

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for answers about sterring column

Quick Reply: Looking for answers about sterring column