Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Racing Pit Stop Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default Pro Racing Pit Stop Procedure

So I just finished up watching the Sebring 12hr, and I have to vent a bit. I really miss the days when CAUTION periods could win or lose a race. Yellow comes out, you dive into the pits, and whoever times things right can make up some time.

NASCAR screwed things up first (IMO), taking a 15minute caution period for a piece of paper on the track. Now all of the series' have EXTENDED caution periods, staggered class pitting, and I personally think it really hurts the racing.

Now I AM a fan of the way ALMS is now waving cars by so that a CLASS leader is behind the pace car if the overall leaders pit, but otherwise, I hate the current procedures.

Just curious what everyone else thinks. I'm sure it is at least partially in the name of safety, but if a car is 2-3 laps down because of a crash/failure, the should NOT be able to "game" the pit stops and get back to the front.

Rant off.....
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 AM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

NASCAR's practices frustrate me as much as anyone, but I'd say they have the most pit strategy and the outcome of their races hinge more on pit strategy than in any other racing series out there. The only series that eclipses NASCAR in pit stop times would be F1, but with air jacks and centerbolts, its hardly a fair comparison. Besides these two series, I don't know of anywhere else that you can make a pit stop and stand a chance of running back through the field without any other factors playing in (unless the field is junk....)

My experience in Grand Am was the fueling was the controlling factor on pit stop times and completely leveled the field. The sealed, true dry-break style gravity fed fuel rig made pit stops take an eternity, but the same eternity for everyone provided they took on the same amount of fuel. We could get drivers swapped before the fuel tank was full, now THAT is ludicrous....
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm personally speaking more about the open pits/closed pits and the various wave-by procedures.

I don't mind the fueling limiters, but I think it would be more interesting if they could fuel whenever they needed to, NOT after 2 laps of yellow. I think for me, the 6-8 yellow flag laps for a simple incident is just too much wasted time.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'm personally speaking more about the open pits/closed pits and the various wave-by procedures.

I don't mind the fueling limiters, but I think it would be more interesting if they could fuel whenever they needed to, NOT after 2 laps of yellow. I think for me, the 6-8 yellow flag laps for a simple incident is just too much wasted time.
I still get confused about some of the current wave-by rules in the various road racing series. I guess that is because it does not always seem consistent. I think NASCAR may have the best current pit rules/stops currently, even if they are not perfect. Everyone gets to pit at the same time once the pits are open - pretty simple. Those who choose to stay out to gain some track position take their chances with old tires and low fuel - a gamble which sometimes pays off depending on when the next caution comes up.

In most series today (not just NASCAR) the cars are so close that more time can be gained over the competitors in the pits than on the track.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Is NASCAR still around?

I agree with you, David, the current procedures are just nuts. They say it is for the fans but I don't like it. I was able to win a lot of races by having one hell of a pit crew. Now, cautions last until everyone has had a chance to do what ever they want to. The only drama is the order they come out of the pits and you know that usually does not last long.

Jim
Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Teams used to WAIT for cautions, so they wouldn't lose green flag time on track. Now they pit early so that they don't lost track position. Jim I agree, it's not for THIS fan!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Excellent rant.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

To compete at the top level you have to comprehend where the bang for the buck is, and pay the money, and train.... the pit crew (collegiate athlete’s who did not get into the NFL) and when you can't gain 0.1 on the track and you can gain 0.2 in the pits.... the choice is obvious. These are the big leagues.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess Formula 1 isn't the big leagues...........they don't need extended pit stops every time a bird poops on the track!

This is nothing against the pit crews, I dislike the restrictions on pit timing.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Now that I understand what you are arguing, I couldn't agree more. They really are great at wasting time.

If I wanted to watch cars just cruising around in a circle I'd go stand in a roundabout. Racing should go green as much as possible, safely.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I guess Formula 1 isn't the big leagues...........they don't need extended pit stops every time a bird poops on the track!
That's because the closest the cars ever get to each other in F1 is in the pits, not on the track (as compared to ramming each other at 180mph in CUP). Nothing against high tech racing except it isn't close racing....

Just kidding, kind of...

Get notified of new replies

To Pro Racing Pit Stop Procedure

Quick Reply: Pro Racing Pit Stop Procedure