Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Stock Class Rules Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SCCA Stock Class Rules Question

Do any of you guys know if it would be legal to add the truck ignition coils to a car running in the stock class? I've seen things saying these may pick up a bit of power, but you have to change the wiring harness that plugs into the coils. Since that's not the high tension wires, I was wondering if that was legal or if it falls under modifications for an allowable mod being illegal unless specifically stated in the rules.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

A long time ago there was an allowance for ignition changes in stock, but that is long gone. And no, you can only replace parts with the correct factory replacement part, any harness change would be illegal, other than the high tension wires, which are free.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Solofast
A long time ago there was an allowance for ignition changes in stock, but that is long gone. And no, you can only replace parts with the correct factory replacement part, any harness change would be illegal, other than the high tension wires, which are free.
By ignition changes do you mean timing adjustments? I was referring to 13.9.A where it says:

The make of spark plugs, points, ignition coil and high tension wires
is unrestricted including spark plug wires having an in-line capacitor.
(Modification of the distributor cap for the purpose of installing allowed non-standard components is not permitted.)

From this I take it that aftermarket replacement coils are legal (like MSD, etc.), but I wasn't sure if there would be an allowance to change the harness before the coils to make them work. My guess was that you couldn't but I figured I would ask. Thanks for the confirmation.

If you used the stock harness and put adapters on the new coils to allow the stock wiring to plug into them, would that be legal or would the adapters not be considered part of the coils?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes looks like you have found a loophole.

I didn't realize that coils were still free in stock. Long ago you could adjust ignition timing and during the early emissions years you could get a big performace gain by bumping up the timing. Lots of cars ran really bad timing for emissions regs and that was one of the big things that was done to make emissions. I knew they took that away in the late 70's or very early 80's...

If you kept the stock harness and made something that plugs into the stock harness, then you are OK the way I read the rules. Once you get to your new coils, your ignition is all free so you are cool.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Solofast
Yes looks like you have found a loophole.

I didn't realize that coils were still free in stock. Long ago you could adjust ignition timing and during the early emissions years you could get a big performace gain by bumping up the timing. Lots of cars ran really bad timing for emissions regs and that was one of the big things that was done to make emissions. I knew they took that away in the late 70's or very early 80's...

If you kept the stock harness and made something that plugs into the stock harness, then you are OK the way I read the rules. Once you get to your new coils, your ignition is all free so you are cool.
OK, that's how I read it too but I wanted to make sure some little pig tail type adapter or something would be allowed if all of the stock harness is in place.

I still don't think I can mess with the timing since you need the stock ECU and tune, but maybe there is something you can do with the coils. I'm just trying to figure out options worth researching before going too heavily into modifying the car.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Stock Class Rules Question

Quick Reply: SCCA Stock Class Rules Question