Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally built right, will it be okay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally built right, will it be okay?

Alright guys well I got my car back after the crank shaft cracked on the 8th rod journal. It was eating out the inside of the bearing which was causing the knocking i heard due to the tollerance being more than 2x out of line, and also was the cause of the oiling issue as well.

Here is my question. Everything on the engine looked great after it was taken apart just that one journal where the crack was ruined the bearing, there didn't appear to be any other signs of oil starvation.

Right now i have a 403ci stroker and have been running on R888s on stock C6 wheels with stock suspension.

My question is this. I know the oil pressure droppped some during the turns before but i was going from mid to high 20s in the straights to the high teens for oil PSI(this was when i knew to back off). I wonder now since it was put together properly, oil pump was shimmed and all that i idle around 40psi and the PSI rises as it should with higher RPMs.

Now the oil system has proper pressure, what risk do i take running the car on the track with R888s now.

I haven't had a chance to take it out there to actually have someone watch the oil pressure during the corners but that may be the next step to see how it is in real time.

I don't want to have to rebuild another engine, but would like to avoid a dry sump system due to its pricey nature if i don't have to get one.

I wonder if just a good radiator and maybe a seperate engine oil cooler to keep the oil from not thinning out as much may help my problem from a different angle. its something i know i need to do since my coolant was only 203 and my oil hit 270* in March.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a plus i did finally break 500rwhp. I think it was 496, then 500 then 505 so averaged over 500, and tq was around 480 on the last 2 pulls.

This car is so much fun to drive!

Quick Reply: Finally built right, will it be okay?