Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow ST2 Racer Tage...Not sure if you saw but damn is he lucky

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default Fellow ST2 Racer Tage...Not sure if you saw but damn is he lucky

Originally Posted by Tage
Day 1, Sunday April 3

I am a fan of "Time Attack" type competitions so yes I definitely practiced my exits until I felt comfortable that it might one day save my life. My long time "racing" mentor Paul Bloomberg once told me that he could exit his car in "2 seconds". Initially I thought to myself that is BS and blew it off as if it was a "fish story" and an exaggeration. However, the more I practiced the more I realized you *can* do it in about "2 seconds" with the right car and/or setup and a little practice.

Sat night was the closest call with death I have ever had and I hope none of you ever experience anything similar to what happened to me. I can without a doubt GUARANTEE you that if I took the time allowed by the CCRs (10 seconds out the door and 15 seconds out the window) to exit my vehicle, I would most certainly be dead today.

Initially there was a puff of white smoke. No big deal, I just figured I blew up yet another engine so I lifted off the gas. About a half second later, I saw in my peripheral vision a small flame pop up in the passenger area. About a half second after that, the flame got a LOT bigger and I started to pat myself on the back for buying the biggest fire system available. Before my hand even reached the fire system pull cord, the entire cab was filled with DARK black smoke and bright orange flames completely around me.

People talk about how hot Arizona is in the Summer. Boy, let me tell you about some heat! This wasn't just really hot, it was "pure pain". This was excruciating pain I never thought possible to experience w/o dying almost instantly. The thought of that moment actually brings tears to my eyes as I type this out because all I could think about was the fact that I was goig to die and I wasn't ready to leave behind my wife and two young kids.

I don't know how my brain was able to function under those conditions but I figured I had to try vs just give up. I'm sure some of you might be thinking they would never give up but this heat was so intense I seriously couldn't think straight. I didn't think the fire system worked because there was absolutely ZERO relief for me but from what some folks told me, the fire was put out for a short amount of time but then sprung right back up so perhaps it did and bought me a couple extra seconds. Those seconds which likely helped saved my life as well.

I was going pretty fast too when this happened. Well over 100MPH as estimated based on the fact that I just shifted into 5th gear and I usually run the car up to 100MPH in 4th gear. I told several visitors today it was a little over 100MPH but I forgot that I was running a much taller tire when this happend so it wouldn't surprise me if I was closer to 105-110MPH. The long story short is my car stops pretty well, but when your interior is a raging inferno it seems like it takes a "lifetime" to slow down, especially when your brain has other things to perform besides just threshold braking.

At this point I have my eyes closed and I am holding my breath and hoping that I'm driving in a somewhat straight line and jamming on the binders while trying to drop my window net (which I defintely struggled with a bit more than during any of my "2-3 second" ideal practice runs). I recall still going extremely fast but thinking "I can't take it any longer and I have to get out of here at all costs". I went to stick my head out the window but I couldn't because I forgot to unlatch my harness. EPIC Fail!! Luckily I was able to find the harness release and unlatch myself with lightening speed and get my head out the window while still braking. I must have jerked the steering wheel when pushing myself out because the car went into a slide at this point and I went to jump out the window. Somehow my thigh got caught on the window opening and instead of diving out the window cleanly, my leg(s) stopped me short and my body went straight towards the gound. Somehow I managed to get my hands out and use them to "run" my body along the pavement while I untangled my legs/feet from the window opening (window net???) and the car swung around. My own car barely missed crushing me before impacting the wall. Whew! Extremely disoriented and knowing I could still be in harms away I saw a wall the jumped over it.

Next I managed to run to my dually which was the first support vehicle on scene and grab a 20# fire extinguisher to get the car fire put out about 90+%.

Wow... just, wow... I am in total disbelieve at this point that I made it out. Sure I made a few mistakes but after reviewing the video multiple times from the time I figured out there was a fire and going ~105MPH to the time I was completely out of the car was about 8 seconds. I have 1st and 2nd degree burns on my face and 3rd degree burns on the back of my neck. I assume that 4th degree equals dead so thankfully I wasn't in the car one millisecond longer!

The one thing I did wrong was NOT put on my balaclava. That was simple stupidity on my part and my injuries would likely be a lot less or just minor had I took the additional time to put it on (you know how things go when you're rushing around though right?). The CCRs state it's not required (unless you have facial hair) but these are so inexpensive it's doesn't make sense to not force them to be worn all the time since you never know when something like this will happen. I'm actually requesting that the CCRs going forward require this vs the language that is used which is along the lines of highlighy recommended or something like that. FYI - The fire suit and recently upgraded Carbon X socks, SFI shoes, etc. all worked flawlessly!

I'll see if I can figure out how to post the videos (from the hospital) as they are extremely eye opening and will hopefully get many of you to go out and buy more/better safety gear vs those lighter weight wheels you've been eye'ing for a while now.

http://forums.nasaaz.com/showthread.php?t=4774

Last edited by L98Terror; 04-15-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Wow! Best wishes for him.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Yikes.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow.... eye opening. Going to buy a balaclava before my next event. And will upsize the fire system when it goes in the car.

Anyone figure out what cuased the fire yet? What kind of car? Any pics of the car?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by travisnd
Wow.... eye opening. Going to buy a balaclava before my next event. And will upsize the fire system when it goes in the car.

Anyone figure out what cuased the fire yet? What kind of car? Any pics of the car?
Same. I've never worn a balaclava. I guess I will be now. Been thinking about fire a lot recently.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

I skimmed the entire thread... they keep talking about the video but I can't find it linked? Maybe he's showing visitors in person?

And it sounds like it's a Civic.... and ST2 Civic? I'd love to see that.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Same. I've never worn a balaclava. I guess I will be now. Been thinking about fire a lot recently.
I sweat in my face like a pig and they do a nice job of keeping that out of your eyes to
Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

I skimmed the entire thread... they keep talking about the video but I can't find it linked? Maybe he's showing visitors in person?

And it sounds like it's a Civic.... and ST2 Civic? I'd love to see that.
s2000 if i remember correctly, so yeah a civic.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I started using one last weekend because of facial hair (trying out a new "tough guy" look). Clear reason to keep using one!

Does anyone know if he was wearing one? Looks like he was not.

Man, fire is scary sheeite.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I started using one last weekend because of facial hair (trying out a new "tough guy" look). Clear reason to keep using one!

Does anyone know if he was wearing one? Looks like he was not.

Man, fire is scary sheeite.
He wasn't..... he said that's the one thing he forgot to put on, but does have one. All his other stuff worked great and had he worn the balaclava he'd have been much better off.

Hopefully he eventually posts the video... sounds like he dove out of his car while it was still slowing down
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I get out of my race cars with my eyes closed and as quick as I can almost every time. If you're ever in a smoky situation, you want to react in a manner that isn't foreign to you.

I've seen many people run their cars with the halon safety pin in. The last thing you want to do is fish around trying to pull that first.

Glad Tage escaped.

Mike
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad he made it out ok
I just got my Comp License so my first race is coming up soon.
I have been wearing a balaclava for the last 6 or 7 DE'S so I have gotten used to it now. I bought a good Alpine Stars Suit and also the Oakley underwear top and bottom full length. With the cool shirt I hope I can stay cool enough I just installed a helmet blower system in the car this week because I need the extra cooling. I installed a manually activated fire system with 3 nozzles on me and 3 on the engine. I have been practicing getting out of the car, I can make it out in under 10 seconds if I am opening the door. That may not be fast enough after reading this! I have not tried it with the door shut yet but that is next. I am concerned that I might not be able to get out under 15 seconds with the door closed- the helmet is tight coming through window opening. At 51 yrs old I am not as flexible as I used to be, I will keep practicing
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by wallyman424
s2000 if i remember correctly, so yeah a civic.
It's a supercharged Civic, at least that's what he finnished 3rd in at Nationals at Miller in 2009 (TTS) The dude is fast
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BERETTA
Glad he made it out ok
I just got my Comp License so my first race is coming up soon.
I have been wearing a balaclava for the last 6 or 7 DE'S so I have gotten used to it now. I bought a good Alpine Stars Suit and also the Oakley underwear top and bottom full length. With the cool shirt I hope I can stay cool enough I just installed a helmet blower system in the car this week because I need the extra cooling. I installed a manually activated fire system with 3 nozzles on me and 3 on the engine. I have been practicing getting out of the car, I can make it out in under 10 seconds if I am opening the door. That may not be fast enough after reading this! I have not tried it with the door shut yet but that is next. I am concerned that I might not be able to get out under 15 seconds with the door closed- the helmet is tight coming through window opening. At 51 yrs old I am not as flexible as I used to be, I will keep practicing
At least we have composte cars.... you can alwas rip the door off of you have to

Seriously though... this is exactly why I've gone to the trouble to remove my roof for my cage build. It allowed me to cut out the OEM roll hoop and trim the roof up. When my cage goes in it'll be roomier than any other C5 cage I've seen.

I'm 6'4" 240 so I'll need every inch available to get out of the car with the door closed!

Last edited by travisnd; 04-15-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Glad he is ok! That is quite a story. Some people make fun of me for wearing my fire suit, gloves, shoes, etc just for a DE but fire doesnt know the difference.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Kubs
Glad he is ok! That is quite a story. Some people make fun of me for wearing my fire suit, gloves, shoes, etc just for a DE but fire doesnt know the difference.
After being in your car, I don't
Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by L98Terror
After being in your car, I don't
Almost 2 years later all Im known for....

My fire was not bad enough to require getting out of the car though.

Get notified of new replies

To Fellow ST2 Racer Tage...Not sure if you saw but damn is he lucky

Old 04-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Best wishes to Tage on a speedy recovery.

The rest of this is going to sound like preaching:

- We as racers and sanctioning bodies are too lax about personal safety equipment!

- Since the Dale Earnheart accident there has been no acceptable reason for any driver not having a full-face helmet and a HANS type device. Yet, I see racers every weekend I am at the track without a HANS type device and with open-face helmets. Sanctioning bodies put wording in their rule books saying "highly recommended." I assume this is because they think it would be too expensive to mandate the these pieces of safety equipment.

- I recently heard that for autocrossing, a driver does not need a SA rated helmet. You can use a motorcyle helmet.

- I have watched a racer borrow fire resistant socks from another driver to show to the safety inspectors, and return them unused before the start of practice.

- I don't see balaclavas mandated by many sanctioning bodies until you get into Indy Car, Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, etc., yet Tage has learned the hard way their importance.

We as racers need to say more and put pressure on our sanctioning bodies to make mandatory those personal saftey items we all should be wearing.

-
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pumba
Best wishes to Tage on a speedy recovery.

The rest of this is going to sound like preaching:

- We as racers and sanctioning bodies are too lax about personal safety equipment!

- Since the Dale Earnheart accident there has been no acceptable reason for any driver not having a full-face helmet and a HANS type device. Yet, I see racers every weekend I am at the track without a HANS type device and with open-face helmets. Sanctioning bodies put wording in their rule books saying "highly recommended." I assume this is because they think it would be too expensive to mandate the these pieces of safety equipment.

- I recently heard that for autocrossing, a driver does not need a SA rated helmet. You can use a motorcyle helmet.

- I have watched a racer borrow fire resistant socks from another driver to show to the safety inspectors, and return them unused before the start of practice.

- I don't see balaclavas mandated by many sanctioning bodies until you get into Indy Car, Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, etc., yet Tage has learned the hard way their importance.

We as racers need to say more and put pressure on our sanctioning bodies to make mandatory those personal saftey items we all should be wearing.

-
If you haven't noticed we're in the middle of a crap economy and most don't have the same levels of disposable income. You have to have participants/drivers to race against to make this stuff happen so it's a fine line between mandating safety and keeping the entry costs managible.

If everyone was told they had to have $1500 in safety gear to do their first Auto-x or HPDE the hobby woudln't exist.

I'm not saying I don't take safety very seriously now.... it's just that I understand why certain items are "highly recommended" vs. mandatory. Just like how TT with NASA only needs HPDE tech, but in reality you're going race speeds.... especially in a Corvette... which is why I finally purchased a DefNder and my car is torn apart for the full cage install.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

At least we have composte cars.... you can alwas rip the door off of you have to

Seriously though... this is exactly why I've gone to the trouble to remove my roof for my cage build. It allowed me to cut out the OEM roll hoop and trim the roof up. When my cage goes in it'll be roomier than any other C5 cage I've seen.

I'm 6'4" 240 so I'll need every inch available to get out of the car with the door closed!
I think thats a good idea getting that factory hoop out of the way.
I am 5"11 185lbs ( I need to loose some weight!) The bar thats goes around the top of the door window area is slightly to the outside at the front-that helped to give me more helmet clearance while in the car.

I have a couple friends about your size and they are having a hard time getting there seats low enough etc. even without a cage

Quick Reply: Fellow ST2 Racer Tage...Not sure if you saw but damn is he lucky