Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make their own brake duct spindles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default Anyone make their own brake duct spindles?

I was going to make some, since 300$ for tube is not for me. What have you used to mount to the hub?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Some products are crazy expensive for what they are. Ducts are very simple to make. Use flat steel or aluminum and a piece of 3" exhaust tube. Total cost is very low. Pix:

Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
I was going to make some, since 300$ for tube is not for me. What have you used to mount to the hub?
Did you get around to doing this yet? The cheapest spindle ducts out there are the Quantum Motorsports units ($165.00). Then you still have to acquire the DRM extensions & hose ($199.99). A cheaper solution would be great!

Last edited by SilentFright; 05-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought the quantum spindle ducts, and modified C6 Z06 ducts for extensions, and bought some hose off of ebay, and spent less than half of what I could have spent otherwise. On a side note, if you need some of the 3 inch high temp hose, let me know, and I can sell you a piece.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I made my own. I mounted them to a piece of aluminum bar and tapped the two holes on the spindle to mount the bar too. They work great. I cut off the ABS mount and moved it to the location you see in the pictures. Total cost about $10.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I purchased the Quantum spindle ducts and then made some adapters that mount to the stock duct. Prior to making these I tried pop riviting the SCAT to the ducts...this worked for a while....but, this soulution is much better.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

How much of a difference do you guys notice with these? Ill be going to the track for the first time and wondering if this would be a worth while mod
Old 05-08-2011, 01:42 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
How much of a difference do you guys notice with these? Ill be going to the track for the first time and wondering if this would be a worth while mod

In my opinion, you do not need them for quite a while. I Time Trial my Z06 without them. I have also run it hard (as in 280+ oil temps) for over 30 minutes and never had brake fade.

If you are W2W racing, then yes. HPDE and paying attention to the car or TT, then no.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM
coffey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have good rubber and use your brakes hard, you will destroy them in as few as one session. I have seen the pistons deformed around the pad from heat in one session, on race rubber at Laguna. Sure you can baby them and make them last but who wants to do that?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
In my opinion, you do not need them for quite a while. I Time Trial my Z06 without them. I have also run it hard (as in 280+ oil temps) for over 30 minutes and never had brake fade.

If you are W2W racing, then yes. HPDE and paying attention to the car or TT, then no.
Thanks alot for the honesty
Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

I put them on hoping to extend the life of my disks....not due to brake fade. They seem to help with this.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I put them on hoping to extend the life of my disks....not due to brake fade. They seem to help with this.
Has it helped? Comparing my setup to others with brake ducts, I am not seeing where it has extended the life of the front rotors. I think a true fix to breaking rotors is a two-piece setup.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When people are just starting they tend to use the brakes more and harder as you slow for the corners more. Faster you get the less you use the brakes.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Has it helped? Comparing my setup to others with brake ducts, I am not seeing where it has extended the life of the front rotors. I think a true fix to breaking rotors is a two-piece setup.
It seems to be helping quite a bit...but, I also swithced from drilled to sloted rotors at about the same time, so I can't give you a conclusive answer
Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get about another weekend from my rotors after ducting. I bleed brakes about half as often too. Seems to help. I used C6 ducts, and smaller tubing from Aircraft Spruce. I made the spindle ducts, and found a bolt to hold them to the spindle. There is a spare hole in the spindle. I slit the duct and ran the wheel speed sensor inside the duct, but they seem to work well even with that.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I get about another weekend from my rotors after ducting. I bleed brakes about half as often too. Seems to help. I used C6 ducts, and smaller tubing from Aircraft Spruce. I made the spindle ducts, and found a bolt to hold them to the spindle. There is a spare hole in the spindle. I slit the duct and ran the wheel speed sensor inside the duct, but they seem to work well even with that.
That is definitive results, thanks for the update. That is also enough that a cost comparison can be done to see if it is worth it.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the c6 zo6 brake duct extensions (the aftermarket are crazy expensive, get a grip vendors). I used steel exhaust tubing welded to a properly shaped wheel speed sensor bracket and found 15' of 2.5 in high temp hose on ebay for $10 from a race team. I did oval out the exhaust tubing at the rotor side to "direct the air towards the rotor hat/vanes (vains). either way

I didn't even have to take the hub off!!! Works like a charm!

FWIW I didn;t do this untill my 5th year of hpde.

Get a 2 piece rotor like DBA and that made the biggest diffence in my rotor longevity. I was cracking a set of the stock a day/weekend at the track on ht10 pads and that was with driving all over the pits after a session to help cool things down.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone make their own brake duct spindles?

Quick Reply: Anyone make their own brake duct spindles?