Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Pipe with the best torque for a C5Z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default X Pipe with the best torque for a C5Z?

I'm looking to add an x pipe to my C5Z. I will be staying with the stock exhaust manifolds, cats, and Ti mufflers. Which pipe gives the best torque and is a good value?

The manifolds and cats have to say due to class rules and the stock mufflers will stay because I drive the car long distances and dont want the extra noise from cat back kits.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Well there are only so many out there that work with the stock manifolds and cats. I had a Corsa on my old 2003 vert and it was a nice piece. The actual cross-over hole was maybe the size of a golf ball. The OEM h-pipe is even worse... they drill a dime size hole in each main exhaust pipe where the cross-over is. So even though the cross-over tube is 2.5" the hole inside is .5" at best... yes I've cut one apart to verify!

Oh... and X-pipes don't give torque, they create flow and usually give more power and a little less torque. The ideal seatup would be to have the x just aft of the stock manifolds where the cats are... that's why I really like the American Racing header design and how they did their X.

Stock vs. Corsa

Opening up the holes on the used pipe

Installed

On the car

I purchased a used X-pipe from Chris (Sik02SS) that was built by Phoenix Performance for T1.... will put it on the car if I eventually go ST2 vs. PTA. I was going to do a custom one with the X just aft of the manifolds. I may still customize this one.

Oh and forum member CP Thunder has another Phoenix T1 pipe like the one pictured above for sale HERE.

Last edited by travisnd; 04-21-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

In the early 90's, NASCAR did extensive testing with hundreds of dyno pulls on X pipes. The closer to the exhaust manifold, the more power it made. On an early 90 cup car it would yield 5 more hp. On a Corvette it will only even out the exhaust pulses in 99% of the applications.

In early 1991, Rusty Wallace had won 3 of 4 races and had the fastest car on the track--going 1or 2 mph more than everyone else is fast. He wrecked on the 5 race (I think it was Texas) and flipped several times. The TV cameras caught him in mid air upside down and the rest of the NASCAR community found out his secret--the X pipe.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Gordy M
In the early 90's, NASCAR did extensive testing with hundreds of dyno pulls on X pipes. The closer to the exhaust manifold, the more power it made. On an early 90 cup car it would yield 5 more hp. On a Corvette it will only even out the exhaust pulses in 99% of the applications.

In early 1991, Rusty Wallace had won 3 of 4 races and had the fastest car on the track--going 1or 2 mph more than everyone else is fast. He wrecked on the 5 race (I think it was Texas) and flipped several times. The TV cameras caught him in mid air upside down and the rest of the NASCAR community found out his secret--the X pipe.
Nick from ARH actually brought this up one time while at Carlisle
Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

All depends on the car and setup, but most of the time you are splitting hairs on where the X is placed. This is also going to depend on the headers of the car and the length and diameter of those.

We played around with it a lot with our own systems as well. In somes cases when you have to run cats, those are going to have to be run first due to the temp requirements for those to work. In a race car however you can move it around a bit more.

Y pipes can actually help as well. Ever notice our World Challenge cars? Those ran a X and a Y into a single oval 4".
Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM
TheNick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris is working with a SS Stock class car - so stock headers and cats.

I'm thinking that an x-pipe in this application might be at the point of diminishing returns and not worth the investment.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check with these guys
http://www.drgas.com/

Get notified of new replies

To X Pipe with the best torque for a C5Z?

Quick Reply: X Pipe with the best torque for a C5Z?