Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing, go over bump whie shifting and all lights come on and car dies?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Autocrossing, go over bump whie shifting and all lights come on and car dies?

Its a 98. Everything was running great. At the end of a run I went over a bump while shifting and all the dash lights came on and hte car died. Had to coast to a complete stop. Then turned the key off then startd the car again and everything was fine.

Any idea as to what may have caused this?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Best guess would be either a loose wiring harness connection somewhere or an area of the harness that is rubbing and going to ground. Bouncing around caused movement with temporary short. Did the car throw any codes ?? Intermittant gremlins are sometimes very difficult to diagnose - good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Battery cable.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Best guess would be either a loose wiring harness connection somewhere or an area of the harness that is rubbing and going to ground. Bouncing around caused movement with temporary short. Did the car throw any codes ?? Intermittant gremlins are sometimes very difficult to diagnose - good luck.
No new codes. How and or where do I check the "harness"? Is there a common place where rubbbing issues occur? This car has the column lock problem. Alwasy has. Could this be related?

Originally Posted by Jason
Battery cable.

The car starts fine. And hte cables are tight. Are you implying that the cable could have a short on the inside of the cable that only shows itsef when the car goes over a bump?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Check your grounds too.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
2VettesMike
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had similar problems with a loose fuse or one that's intermittent.

Mike
Old 05-02-2011, 04:24 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of people who use keychains have their ignition lock cylinder get loose over time and shut the car off w/ bumps.

Did it throw any codes? if it were a short or ground problem there should be a bunch of communication codes in there.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
No new codes. How and or where do I check the "harness"? Is there a common place where rubbbing issues occur?
Most common problem area is inside the rubber boot that runs between the door and the car body. Lots of folks have had broken wires in this area causing many gremlins. Otherwise you just need to trace down all the wire looms in the car and inspect. The service manual has a pretty good schematic of where they run. It is a time consuming task, but sometimes the only way to find the problem.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree--Probably the first thing to check if you do/have used a keychain w/keys hanging down from the ignition switch.

Originally Posted by wallyman424
I've heard of people who use keychains have their ignition lock cylinder get loose over time and shut the car off w/ bumps.

Did it throw any codes? if it were a short or ground problem there should be a bunch of communication codes in there.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fcarga
Agree--Probably the first thing to check if you do/have used a keychain w/keys hanging down from the ignition switch.
I use a key chain when I drive it, but it's just teh key when I race.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Check out posts by Bill Curlee in C5 tech section. Good info on bad grounds and other stuff. I found my intermittant window problem with his help.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing, go over bump whie shifting and all lights come on and car dies?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocrossing, go over bump whie shifting and all lights come on and car dies?