Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how critical is prop shaft/ drive shaft balance in torque tube???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default how critical is prop shaft/ drive shaft balance in torque tube???

I took my bushings off the prop shaft in the torque tube and forgot to mark where they were connected.

is the balance that critical ????? am i gonna get alotta vibration??

should i get it balanced?

FYI stock 99 corvette

thanks for any help!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
mphox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
I took my bushings off the prop shaft in the torque tube and forgot to mark where they were connected.

is the balance that critical ????? am i gonna get alotta vibration??

should i get it balanced?

FYI stock 99 corvette

thanks for any help!
Just replaced my couplers. I did mark the clocking of bolt pattern but did not check shaft runout prior to disassembly. The shaft runout I have is .025in. max. Too much for a typical drive shaft but TT propshaft is a slightly different application (before trans not after). I spoke to many custom racing drive line manufacturers (corvette TT drive line included) and could not find one that could balance a propshaft and bearing assembly together. I also did not find anybody that could give me acceptable shaft run out numbers (besides GM service manual). If you have a way to measure shaft runout I would be interested in what you measure (bearings in v-blocks with dial indicator) . Also if anyone else has measured shaft run out I would be curious what is considered acceptable without getting any vibration.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mphox
Just replaced my couplers. I did mark the clocking of bolt pattern but did not check shaft runout prior to disassembly. The shaft runout I have is .025in. max. Too much for a typical drive shaft but TT propshaft is a slightly different application (before trans not after). I spoke to many custom racing drive line manufacturers (corvette TT drive line included) and could not find one that could balance a propshaft and bearing assembly together. I also did not find anybody that could give me acceptable shaft run out numbers (besides GM service manual). If you have a way to measure shaft runout I would be interested in what you measure (bearings in v-blocks with dial indicator) . Also if anyone else has measured shaft run out I would be curious what is considered acceptable without getting any vibration.
guess i will slap it together and see if it vibrates
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I agree that finding a way to balance might be difficult, I've never done it. Good news (or bad news depending on how you look at it) since the shaft spins at engine speed instead of trans speed, you'll know quickly if you have a problem.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 PM
mphox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I am doing.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

works good

Get notified of new replies

To how critical is prop shaft/ drive shaft balance in torque tube???

Quick Reply: how critical is prop shaft/ drive shaft balance in torque tube???