Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Join PCA??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Join PCA??

Hi Guys,

I noticed a lot of PCA events are on weekends which works for me. It seems you need a porsche vin to join. How are you guys running Porsche events? I see 3 That I want to sign up for in diferent regions.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The PCA events in our area open up their track event registration to non-Porsch-uhs after a set amount of time. They usually just charge a bit more for non-members. Contact the organization and ask.

-Kevin
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned this trick from some old track farts. Never been a PCA member, but if you really want to

step 1: get VIN off porsche from ebay

the rest should be self explanatory.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The RTR region of PCA is Corvette friendly, and it's just a damn good group of people...Porsche or Corvette...non-PCA members just register later than members.

My understanding is some PCA regions don't allow non members.

Last edited by spdislife; 05-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spdislife
The RTR region of PCA is Corvette friendly, and it's just a damn good group of people...Porsche or Corvette...non-PCA members just register later than members.

My understanding is some PCA regions don't allow non members.
I think with the economy, exclusion of other makes by some PCA regions is a thing of the past. I've run with 4 different regions and most will let you run for the same cost as a P-car. The local club here used to exclude but now lets folks in--however they are a little less friendly then the others.

RTR as mentioned above was very inclusive and the most friendly of any I encountered. Also I'd say the highest skill-level of any I encountered.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
I learned this trick from some old track farts. Never been a PCA member, but if you really want to

not what I would call a good way to start a relationship with a group of people you want be sharing a track with.

make a friend with a porsche owner, and have them sign you on as an affiliate member. regions are free to create restrictions around this, but mine gives me same options as it does to full members when it comes to signing up for events (I am an affiliate member)
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like any good club, the Porsche regions serve their members first. And what may seem like "snobbery" or exclusivity to "outsiders" is most often simply a matter of numbers. For example, there are roughly ten different PCA Regions that run at The Glen each year (including those Giant Killers!), plus a special 48-hour event for their Zone I, plus a 3-day national race weekend. Most of those regions are here multiple times during the season.

Obviously, one will find only Porsches at the national race, and that is exclusive by design.

The annual Zone I "driver education" event typically pulls in excess of 250 "students", plus instructors, and their cars. (Slightly fewer during the last couple of years.) With that many entrants, most run groups are overflowing with Porsches, so there is no reason to "fill-in" with other marques.

Similarly, the densely populated regions, like Metro NY, and Northern New Jersey, have so many registrants that their run groups are "full" of Porsches. Again, no room left to "fill-in" with guests.

The other eight Regions that run here welcome guests on a space-available basis, and after all Region members, and other PCA members have had an opportunity to register. No pirating of Porsche VIN numbers is necessary.

Ed LoPresti
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

In the last couple years I've attended events with Shattenbaum, RTR and Potomac PCA. Enjoyed them all and had no problems registering. Very nice folks and on a whole, in the white and black run groups, I thought the driving level was really high. Signed up for Shattenbaum at Thunderbolt in June just a few days ago.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424

Our region "Carolina's" doesnt restrict any make and only charges a litlle extra for non members. However Several of my friends has gone the route mentioned above to save a little money with no problem. We are just glad the events are starting to fill back up again.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
SHOCheapRacing
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Find a friend with two P-cars and use one of the Vins :-)

They can also add you as a member under their membership.

PCA,AUDI,BMW,SHO club member.....
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Most PCA event are open to all car. I currently run with three different PCA organizations at the local track. Some charge a non PCA surcharge (not much) but give other breaks once they get to know you. Most use Club Registration .Net for a registration web site. Hope this help.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Or you can buy your wife a Porsche and have your cake and eat it too!

I was invited to bring my Corvette to a PCA DE event several years ago and ended up buying a P-car and becoming an active PCA member as a result.

As others have said it's a great group of people and there are some really good drivers. And seriously, what could be more fun than driving your Z06 on the track while surrounded by Turbos and GT3s?

My old region down in FL as well as my current region (RTR - Riesentoter) in PA have always been open to all and in fact the RTR region has upwards of 10 members who own (and track) Corvettes and a lot more Vette owners who regularly participate in events including Joe, Andy and others who commented above.

Registration does open earlier for members but both pay the same entry fee for the event and if you're an instructor the rates are half.

The e-bay/junk-yard method was popular back when events sold out to members and non-members didn't get to sign up for more popular venues like Road ATL or the Glen, but I don't think it's necessary to do that anymore.

RTR is at Pocono next weekend and NJMP-Lightning in June, the Glen in July. Come on out and join us!
Jim
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother made me an assoc member, it makes registration alot easier
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've run with PCA for years. There events are usually more low key than other groups. They don't get all the dedicated race cars like Chin gets. They're slightly cheaper than Chin but you also get less track time.

I always encourage people to start running track events with PCA. If you want a faster group then move to someone like Chin.

Richard Newton
Newton's Law
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rfn026
If you want a faster group then move to someone like Chin.

Richard Newton
Newton's Law
I ran with Chin several times down in FL. I'd have to respectfully agree to disagree with your assessment.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Join PCA??

Quick Reply: How to Join PCA??