Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilt/Roll-Back Trailer Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tilt/Roll-Back Trailer Recommendations

I've narrowed my search for a trailer down to a tilt bed or roll-back type. Does anyone have any recommended brands I should look into?

I've seen a couple recommendations for the Jimglo tilt bed and several good posts for the Kwik-Load. I'm in the middle of Texas so the Jimglo is a bit far for pickup or delivery. I've seen some 102 Ironworks (here) that might work too. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Ideally I'm looking for quick loading/unloading. A bonus would be if I could store it in my garage with the car on it (garage is almost 24' deep).

Just for reference, tow vehicle is a Chevy 1500, 6.2L with the tow package (9300 lbs capacity) and the trailer will be used for my virtually stock '04 Coupe.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

18' Kwik-Load. Made in Texas!

I have one and it is perfect.

Sorry to hear about your tow vehicles though -
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltborg
I've narrowed my search for a trailer down to a tilt bed or roll-back type. Does anyone have any recommended brands I should look into?

I've seen a couple recommendations for the Jimglo tilt bed and several good posts for the Kwik-Load. I'm in the middle of Texas so the Jimglo is a bit far for pickup or delivery. I've seen some 102 Ironworks (here) that might work too. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Ideally I'm looking for quick loading/unloading. A bonus would be if I could store it in my garage with the car on it (garage is almost 24' deep).

Just for reference, tow vehicle is a Chevy 1500, 6.2L with the tow package (9300 lbs capacity) and the trailer will be used for my virtually stock '04 Coupe.
Looks good but get 5200 lb axles. Usually it means more then just springs. Probably has bigger tires, brakes, and bearings. Worth every penny. Get brakes both axles for sure. Check out the accessory list for things like D-rings. Cheaper nw and better than modding later. Fender clearance to open doors also id something to consider.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-04-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
Sorry to hear about your tow vehicles though -
Hey, could be worse...

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Looks good but get 5200 lb axles. Usually it means more then just springs. Probably has bigger tires, brakes, and bearings. Worth every penny. Get brakes both axles for sure. Check out the accessory list for things like D-rings. Cheaper nw and better than modding later. Fender clearance to open doors also id something to consider.
Definitely getting brakes on both axles, no doubt about it. I'll probably try to look at the Kwik-Load and the Ironworks one on the same trip out of town and figure out what I can order them with. The list I had was:
-Brakes on both axles
-Spares and mounts
-Removable left fender
-Storage box (maybe with a winch)

Sounds like 5200 lbs axles need to be added to that list. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by ltborg; 05-04-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:15 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You've obviously not done any homework.

I did not need 5200# axles to haul a car. A 7200# GVW trailer will carry almost anything you can get on it in the 18' length (within reason) and easily carry a Corvette, tires and tools.

If you want a 10,0000# trailer I'd get the 22' but your 1500 won't cut it.

Dual brakes are std.
Removable fenders are std. (don't need it with the Corvette on this trailer because of the roll back feature.)
(1) Spare tire is a VERY good idea.

Wal*Mart has a great hard box for $50 that is exceptionally good.

Don't need a winch. The Corvette drives right on it, no ramps or boards. It is a very low profile trailer. My spec racer drives on and it has a front ride height of 2 3/4"s.

Mine will be for sale soon and it has a tire rack as well, but I'm in VA.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
You've obviously not done any homework.

I did not need 5200# axles to haul a car. A 7200# GVW trailer will carry almost anything you can get on it in the 18' length (within reason) and easily carry a Corvette, tires and tools.

If you want a 10,0000# trailer I'd get the 22' but your 1500 won't cut it.

Dual brakes are std.
Removable fenders are std. (don't need it with the Corvette on this trailer because of the roll back feature.)
(1) Spare tire is a VERY good idea.

Wal*Mart has a great hard box for $50 that is exceptionally good.

Don't need a winch. The Corvette drives right on it, no ramps or boards. It is a very low profile trailer. My spec racer drives on and it has a front ride height of 2 3/4"s.

Mine will be for sale soon and it has a tire rack as well, but I'm in VA.
The dual brakes and removable fenders are standard on the Kwik-Load, but they aren't on several other brands I have looked at, including the 102 Ironworks one I posted. That's why I have them listed as options. If I can find them standard, great, if not, I would need to add them.

Per John's recommendation above, the 5200 lbs axles may have some advantages (other than carrying capacity) depending on the brand, so it's something I might want to consider. Seems to me if I get better brakes, it might be a good thing, even if I never carry close to 10,000 lbs.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything is bigger on 5200 and all the components all last much longer and make the brakes on you tow vehicle last longer.

Do you have to have them no but in my opinion it is the way to go. Make sure you get something with Dexters axles if you can as parts are readily available around the country. I have towed and trucked a ton in my business and the further you are away from load limits the cheaper it is in the long run. Even when I got my 5200 lb axles I went for the bigger tires that were available. I have an H&H tilt and use it for my business for years maxed out with steel scaffolding, plank, and masonry equipment like mixers and other stuff.

My friend towed his truck all around the country coast to coast. He had an enclosed trailer and was constantly having problems like tires and brakes. He dumped the trailer and went 5200 and has not had problems like before. Also a torsion bar suspension will give you a better ride if available. Downside is you can't repair it as easy as getting a new spring. I have not had any problem with mine and it is loaded to limit and over at times. Make sure tires are STXXXXX which is trailer rated very important.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-04-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tilt/Roll-Back Trailer Recommendations

Quick Reply: Tilt/Roll-Back Trailer Recommendations