Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drilling

Old 05-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default drilling

Finally I am on my last stretch of installing my 3 quart Accusump in my ’08 C6. After taking my front facet off and deciding there wasn’t a lot of room to install the reservoir in front of the radiator and under my oil cooler, I have run the hose back to the rear hatch area. I’ll be bolting the sump to the flat floor right behind my seats. This will hopefully be right between the two legs of my roll bar. I plan to use similar but smaller sleeve anchor nuts like the ones Pfadt provided to bolt down their roll bar. I hope to put the 20 “ reservoir dead center over the tranny area, but I don’t want to drill through and hit anything like fuel tanks.

Does anyone have a diagram of the fuel tanks and location of where they are? I only plan to drill and use a reamer about ½” into and below the fiberglass. This will be about 18” inches apart- 9 “ out on either side from dead center of car. Again I just do not want to puncture my fuel tanks or anything else right under there. …. Anyone know how much space there should be before I hit something?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:02 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would suggest not using any form of threaded insert for what you are doing. I have used hundreds of threaded inserts for all types of stuff, but for mounting something like that you are asking for trouble. I've seen an accusump mounted to a sheetmetal floor with threaded inserts and it pulled out in a hard wreck. Fiberglass will be worse.
You should think about using clamp collars and mounting to your roll cage tubing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: drilling