Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Roll Bar, this doesn't seem right

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default C4 Roll Bar, this doesn't seem right

My initial roll bar install was a disappointment. It's a 6 point done to NHRA specs. Turns out the guy who did it never did a Corvette before and said he'd never do one again. My fault for not checking him out more.

When I got the interior all back together I could not move the seat all the way back. Seating position was pretty poor for me at 6'2". Bad enough that Mike Sarver even commented on it in my log book after an HPDE at Summit. Because of that I decided to cut out the cross bar behind the seat to have a new one put in.

I think I have a new problem now. The roll hoop seems to be too far forward. Here it is in relation to the seat/headrest. When sitting in the car with helmet on, the helmet hits the roll hoop. If looking at the helmet from the side with the face to the right (at 3 o'clock) the helmet hits at the 11 o'clock position. So, back of the helmet but pretty high up on the back.

I need to have this bar redone don't I?
(Intentions are safe HPDE car, safety in accordance with performance, unlikely to ever to be full race car)

Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The location of that bar would be a good way to attempt and slam your head right out of your.... in the unfortunate event of a rollover. You might want to take it to someone else and see if they can correct it, but that's a pretty important piece of the cage. It's not just a chop and swap deal. Downbars are going to have to move and change angles as well. Plus the halo will have to be extended.

I don't think you are going to like what someone is going to have to do to make it right.

Not to mention that's the main hoop bar. The part that the rest of the cage is built around.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Yeeccchhhhhhhh!

That needs to come out and be done by someone that has done a C4 before.
If I recall Piper Motorsports is near you, they've been doing roll bars and cages in Corvettes for a long time. If you were in Atlanta I'd send you to the guy thats done a bunch of C5's and at least one C4 (mine). The rollbar he put in mine is a work of art and safe. He will be getting the car this winter for the rest of the cage.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Yeah, when I was sitting in the car I with my head resting against the bar and I just got images of bad stuff happening. Even just backing into a wall would send my head into the bar and force my chin into my chest.

Damn, that makes this decision time too. I'll call this project "slippery slope". Motivation to put the interior back in the car may fade.

I'll do some research here on others with C4 bars (anyone C4 peeps feel free to post any pics and pros and cons) and check with some local people as well.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:22 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The autopower bar fits correctly. I did my C4, then had a cross bar welded in. the seat still went all the way back, because I am 6'2"
Old 05-08-2011, 12:23 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
The autopower bar fits correctly. I did my C4, then had a cross bar welded in. the seat still went all the way back, because I am 6'2"

My AutoPower bar fits just right...

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Roll Bar, this doesn't seem right

Quick Reply: C4 Roll Bar, this doesn't seem right