Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ball joint question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Another ball joint question

I was working on my suspension over the weekend (changing the shocks and transverse leaf springs. I this process I disconnected one of the ball joints on the arm going to the rack and pinion. Something just didn't feel right when I was re-torqueing. If felt like there was some stretching of the tie rod. Last night while I was reflecting back on the procedure I started wondering if I inadvertently used 45 ft/lbs for the final pass (like on the rear tie rod ball joints) vs. 33 ft/lbs. Today I disassembled the ball joint again, and visually it looks fine. I re-torqued with no issues.

My question is....If I did mis-torque them to 45 ft/lbs do you think this warrants replacement? A failure of this part would not be fun.

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

No, 45lbs shouldnt hurt it. Its a big bolt with a locking nut, and its held in place by the taper.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
No, 45lbs shouldnt hurt it. Its a big bolt with a locking nut, and its held in place by the taper.
Thanks. You are probrobly right....But, I decided that I am going to change it anyway. It just isn't worth taking a chance of having it break at 150 mph.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

45 lb on that will do nothing.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't waste your time or money replacing that joint. As long as the boot is solid and the ball is tight in the socket you will be fine. An extra 10 ftlbs of torque on that large of a bolt is not a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Another ball joint question

Quick Reply: Another ball joint question