Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How close should cross balance be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default How close should cross balance be?

I just had my car cross balanced (no weight added, just suspension adjustments), and the two diagonals came within 50 lbs of each other. Does this sound about right? I thought that it would be closer?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Charlie,

The answer to your question sort of depends upon WHY you had the corner weights done, and were you (or your weight distribution) in the car during the process, and even what was your fuel level at the time.

For example, a great setup shop might sacrifice a few pounds in "wedge", in order to make the front corners more equal if they are working on a road racing car. Similarly, they could very reasonably make the same sacrifice for having the rear weights very close on a drag car. Perhaps they were "factoring in" your weight and position, if you were not actually in the car; so that when you ARE in the driver seat, that wedge comes closer to 50%. You might well ask the setup individual his/her reasoning for "stopping" short of 50/50.

Corner weights, and suspension setup, in general, is nothing more than a series of very learned compromises. When we think about it, 50 pounds is one and one-half percent of the weight of your car.

Ed LoPresti

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 05-12-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Elaboration.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Charlie,

The answer to your question sort of depends upon WHY you had the corner weights done, and were you (or your weight distribution) in the car during the process, and even what was your fuel level at the time.

For example, a great setup shop might sacrifice a few pounds in "wedge", in order to make the front corners more equal if they are working on a road racing car. Similarly, they could very reasonably make the same sacrifice for having the rear weights very close on a drag car. Perhaps they were "factoring in" your weight and position, if you were not actually in the car; so that when you ARE in the driver seat, that wedge comes closer to 50%. You might well ask the setup individual his/her reasoning for "stopping" short of 50/50.

Corner weights, and suspension setup, in general, is nothing more than a series of very learned compromises. When we think about it, 50 pounds is one and one-half percent of the weight of your car.

Ed LoPresti
I spent about 45 minutes discussing how I plan to use the car with the owner...Specifically, dailly driver that I use for HPDE's about 5-8 times per year. I told him what tracks I run at, my experience level, etc.. The car had a half tank of fuel and he simulated my weight. When I asked him why there was a 50lb difference in the cross weights he said that realistically that is about as close as you get without adding weight. The shop has a good reputation and they were very nice. I am just trying to confirm what he said so I can tell if he is a straight shooter or if he is giving me a sales job.

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Charley,

First of all, I am sorry for mis-spelling your name!

You, and your alignment shop, all sound like they know exactly what they are doing, aside from the notion of ADDING weight.

If you want to post up your car, with any suspension mods, and the final weight results, we can quickly tell if any improvement could easily be made.

Ed
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Charley:

The cross weights on my C6 Z06 is less than 20 lbs, whether scaled for my co-driver or myself.

Left front is approx 25 lbs heavier than the right front. Left rear is approx 25 lbs heavier than the right rear.

Driver in car; low fuel load.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm racing in T1 with min weight at 3180 with driver. I don't know as much as Ed and would like to hear more about why one would sacrifice wedge for more equal weights between front and rear. Anyway, on my level setup platform in my garage on my scales this was my result about 2 months ago when I set my car up. A perfect 50/50 cross. It is not hard to achieve at all.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I'm racing in T1 with min weight at 3180 with driver.
you run the min weight ALMOST as close as I do.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Charley,

First of all, I am sorry for misspelling your name!

You, and your alignment shop, all sound like they know exactly what they are doing, aside from the notion of ADDING weight.

If you want to post up your car, with any suspension mods, and the final weight results, we can quickly tell if any improvement could easily be made.

Ed
Thanks for the help...and don't worry about the misspelling, It happens so much I don't even notice it any more.

The shop has a good reputation...but, I find that the more I learn...The more I realize I don't know.

Here are my numbers with a 220 lb driver:

LF = 931, RF= 853

LR = 876, RR = 842

Total weight was 3502 with driver and half tank of gas. (which seems high also)

For alignment he set it to:
Caster = max 4.5 on 10 degree swing (I don't know what this means)
Camber: Frnt = -1.5, Rear = -1.125
Toe in: Frnt = 1/16 in, Rear = 1/8 in

Thank again for the help,
Charley
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
dgoetz
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

with two different drivers, 04 ZO6
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
The half tank is a tough one. I did the same thing, twice, when I got mine corner balanced and then I was finally informed that "half tank" in a Corvette (C6 in my case) means only one of the tanks is full (drivers side?)... FWIW, my C6 Z51 with driver (near 200# at the time) and half tank was something like 3410#.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Charley,

Thanks for the numbers. I see the delta between L wedge and R wedge is actually only 44 pounds, and you are sitting at 49.4% with driver and fuel. Without physically moving (or RE-moving) weight around in the car, that is as good as you are going to get.

For road racing, a slight improvement could be had by lowering your ride height on the LF, or the RR, or some on both. That would more closely equalize the weight on your two front corners. Unfortunately, it would also create more of a disparity between your rear corners.

In the simplest of terms - when we do a "caster swing", we move through an arc described by turning your front wheels from left to right. Your 4.5 degrees was the maximum amount that your front tires are "pointed" ahead of your axles, during a 10 degree swing from center. Positive Caster provides your steering with a self-centering quality that is helpful in road racing.

And for BillyBob, and anyone else interested, the road racer can benefit from equalized front weights because of better stability under hard braking, plus more consistant turn-in between left and right turns. The drag racer cares little about those things, but would love to have a completely balanced weight transfer to his rear tires, and similarly weighted rear corners will help that.

Ed

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 05-13-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Caster
Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Thanks for the help...and don't worry about the misspelling, It happens so much I don't even notice it any more.

The shop has a good reputation...but, I find that the more I learn...The more I realize I don't know.

Here are my numbers with a 220 lb driver:

LF = 931, RF= 853

LR = 876, RR = 842

For alignment he set it to:
Caster = max 4.5 on 10 degree swing (I don't know what this means)
Camber: Frnt = -1.5, Rear = -1.125
Toe in: Frnt = 1/16 in, Rear = 1/8 in

Thank again for the help,
Charley
Why did he toe in the front instead of toe out?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I try and get a leaf-spring car withing 20-25lbs. If you go further, you just overshoot and end up cycling back and forth. Just to much "stiction" in the spring perches. With coils, you can get really close.

If you have a car that is really bad weight distribution (one side, or one end really heavy), you should also look at front/rear ratios on each side. Sometimes you want to split the difference between getting the cross weights even and getting the f/r ratios even.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

In the simplest of terms - when we do a "caster swing", we move through an arc described by turning your front wheels from left to right. Your 4.5 degrees was the maximum amount that your front tires are "pointed" ahead of your axles, during a 10 degree swing from center. Positive Caster provides your steering with a self-centering quality that is helpful in road racing.

I have about 6.5 degrees front caster, the max it would go, and I really like the "self-centering" of the steering wheel when I get too ambitious and get too much over-steer for whatever reason. I get really quick corrections with little drama. I sometimes even toss the wheel in snap over-steers and then grab it again when needed.

It really helps with lightning quick counter-steering as shown at the 4:10 mark of this video where I botch it a bit.
http://vimeo.com/23239361

Oli

Get notified of new replies

To How close should cross balance be?

Quick Reply: How close should cross balance be?