Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD camcorder in car video recommendations?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 691 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default HD camcorder in car video recommendations?

Looking at buying a new HD camcorder to do in car videos as well as family events. I'm thinking something in the $300-$400 range like what is sold at Best Buy etc. I've read enough about these camcorders to want a external microphone jack (windnoise) and to be able to record to SD cards (no hard drive-vibration issues). If it was for the car only, I would go with the GoPro, Aiptek, Contour, Kodak Hi8 etc but I want the full features of a camcorder for home. Anyone have any luck using one of these new HD camcorders for in car videos and if so, what brand/model?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

GoPro HD
Old 05-15-2011, 11:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Mako72
Anyone have any luck using one of these new HD camcorders for in car videos and if so, what brand/model?
Your price range is a bit tough to work through; you might want to consider bumping it up a few hundred dollars. My camera brand of choice for vids is Sony, period. They've been doing video cameras longer than anyone, and they just "get it".

It's likely that any of the cameras on this page will do what you want. Mine is no longer listed there (CX-300) as I believe they've discontinued it.

jas
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the replies.

The GoProHD would be killer if it had an external microphone jack which I bet they will offer next time around. But I'm hoping there is a camcorder that will do dual duty.

I checked the link and I see that to get into the Sony HD camcorders I might have to bump it a few hundred as you say.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Get a GoPro HD Hero !

Here is what I did yesterday. Be sure to change the resolution at the bottom of the video screen to 1080p and watch it fullscreen.

Best quality for just $350 or so. Be sure to get the suction cup mount, think it's extra, put you can but it anywhere, inside or outside you car.

Mine was mounted to the inside of the windshield, just below the rearview mirror.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0FrgDFpO8
Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Aiptek GVS from walmart.. $170 shipped IIRC.. has a small remote to start and stop recording so I don't have to turn around to fool with it. Has an external mic jack to.. I just need to find a good location for that.

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-Action-.../dp/B001GXR03U

vids for ref

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh0eyDtQh-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBdJ6jzzpj4
Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sony CX160/B ... great camera for the car, works with Traqmate LANC and doubles as a good camera for use outside the car.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666295835
Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with bags14:2 +1 for Apitek, more Robeling Road (in a Miata) from a few years back, click on 720p.

The noise is the internal camera so you definitely want an external mic version.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a Cannon Vixia HF M300 ($349) HD, mic input, sd card, and you can get larger (last longer) batteries for it.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever you get make sure it shoots 60fps. That seems to eliminate "jellyvision" even without a global shutter. I have an HD Canon Vixia and it is a great HD camcorder but useless in-car.

GoPro HD has a 60fps mode in 720p as do some Aipteks. I've worked with Aipteks and external mics but you need a stereo mic or a mono to stereo adapter. If you plug a mono mic into it, you get no sound.

The Aiptek has an LCD screen so it is much more like a normal camcorder if you want to use it outside the car. I can't see filming much with the GoPro in handheld mode.

For full disclosure, I use a Vio POV HD for in-car video with an external mic and love it.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I have an HD Canon Vixia and it is a great HD camcorder but useless in-car.

I made the mistake of thinking that because Canon makes phenomenal DSLRs, that they'd do the same with video cameras. They just don't. I tried and tried to make my Vixia work in-car, all I got was ssshhhhhaaaakkkkeeeyyyyyy-cccaaaammmmmm. Enough to make you throw up if you have a weak stomach.

Selling that and getting a Sony was the best thing I did for in-car vids.

Example of Canon in-car
Example of Sony in-car

Both are on the same camera mount. Note how much more solid the Sony is.

jas
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Good luck in your search for the well balanced race / family cam. Whatever you do, please ensure you use a good mount for the car so it does not become a projectile on sudden hard brakes. I also suggest you get a good wide angle lens as well to capture more visible track video. Using the stock lens is ok, but doens't go wide enough to get that in car "race feel." The stock lens seems to capture a good amount of frame area, but a wide angle lens will add at least 18" of peripheral vision to each side, and about 8-10" up, and down without distorting the video (fisheye) in the cabin. Obviously, this gets wider the further the camera looks.

When racing, I also have my rear-view mirror turned upside down and tucked up into the headliner so as to get more visibility on the track. I o not use it for seeing who is coming up from behind because I use my side view mirrors for that. Not suggesting you do it for safety reasons, but only for in car race purposes if you Autocross or race on a track with very light cars surrounding you.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Last C5
Get a Cannon Vixia HF M300 ($349) HD, mic input, sd card, and you can get larger (last longer) batteries for it.
I read up on some reviews for this model and there seems to be issues in downloading the video to a computer and burning it to DVD using Canon's program. I was hoping to simply pop the SD card into the computer and then burn it to DVD. The price certainly was in my range though.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jvp

I made the mistake of thinking that because Canon makes phenomenal DSLRs, that they'd do the same with video cameras. They just don't. I tried and tried to make my Vixia work in-car, all I got was ssshhhhhaaaakkkkeeeyyyyyy-cccaaaammmmmm. Enough to make you throw up if you have a weak stomach.

Example of Canon in-car
Example of Sony in-car

jas
Wow, big difference!
Thanks for all that responded to my quest for one machine that can do dual duty.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I read up on some reviews for this model and there seems to be issues in downloading the video to a computer and burning it to DVD using Canon's program. I was hoping to simply pop the SD card into the computer and then burn it to DVD. The price certainly was in my range though.
Depending on the DVD burning software you use and the file format the the camera stores the file on the SD card, that could be possible.

I use an AIPTEK HD camera and it stores the files in a .mov format. Since the DVD burning software I use doesn't recognize .mov format, I have to convert it to .wmv or some .mpg format to make it work.

If I used an apple program, it'd probably import the file directly and save the conversion step.

Anything is better than downloading a tape.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jvp

Example of Canon in-car
Example of Sony in-car

jas
Which Canon and which Sony were you using??
Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Downloading HD video can be a problem. It's slow at best and unbelievably slow with out the right computer. I'm very interested in which Canons these guys are having problems with. (And which Sony turned out that nice video)

Get notified of new replies

To HD camcorder in car video recommendations?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Downloading HD video can be a problem. It's slow at best and unbelievably slow with out the right computer. I'm very interested in which Canons these guys are having problems with. (And which Sony turned out that nice video)
Doug, I was reading it here under the reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-33949015.html

I'm new to HD and I guess there is more to downloading an HD video than I thought. I just thought you could pop the SD card into the computer and download a video or burn it to a DVD?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Which Canon and which Sony were you using??
I don't remember which Canon Vixia model I had; it was a $600-700 version, but it doesn't matter. Their hardware is trash, unfortunately. They work fine as hand-held cameras, but can't deal with the rigor of being mounted in a vehicle.

The Sony I have is no longer being made, but is the CX-300.

jas
Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Doug, I was reading it here under the reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-33949015.html

I'm new to HD and I guess there is more to downloading an HD video than I thought. I just thought you could pop the SD card into the computer and download a video or burn it to a DVD?
Usually you need an after market program to download video directly to a DVD or whatever. I've been using an Easy Media suite product.

Originally Posted by jvp
I don't remember which Canon Vixia model I had; it was a $600-700 version, but it doesn't matter. Their hardware is trash, unfortunately. They work fine as hand-held cameras, but can't deal with the rigor of being mounted in a vehicle.

The Sony I have is no longer being made, but is the CX-300.

jas
Thanks, I'll see what the new replacement unit is. That's good looking video in your post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD camcorder in car video recommendations?