Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seats help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race seats help please

I have a 09 z06. I am looking for a pair of race seats that will fit in there, and also fit me. I'm 6'1" 225lbs. Not fat. I'm a bigger guy with broad shoulders. Having a really hard time trying to find something. I have my guy waiting on the seats so he can build my cage. Any info is greatly appreciated.

What are the biggest seats I can fit in there?

Hopefully the company also makes steering wheels as I want the seats and steering wheel to match.

My wife measured me and my shoulders are about 22" and 18" in my butt leg area.

Please let me know

Thanks
Paulie
Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I just did a big article on race seats for Vintage Motorsport magazine. Make sure your seat is FIA or SFI approved. If you need a big boy seat you might want to talk to Randy Lejoie at Joie of Seating. He does SFI approved seats that are custom made.

I wouldn't worry about the steering wheel as much as I would about the HANS and the belts. You want a HANS compatible seat. You're also going to need a belt system that works with your HANS device. Think of the seat, the HANS and the belt system as an integrated unit.

btw - If you're really serious call Rick Hendricks. You can get the same seat that Jeff Gordon uses for about $14,000. I just got back from Indy and it seems that Indy car seat are about $10,000 each now. It make the basic carbon fiber Sparco seat seem really cheap.

Richard Newton
Vintage Motorsport Magazine
Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not looking for $10-14000 seats. I don't track the car. Just want race seats. This is a toy that is built for hi speed runs. Mile events, ect. I am just trying to find out what is the biggest seat that will fit in the car. I really can't wait for a custom seat to be built. If that was the case I would just contact carvaggio. There are lots of fia approved seats out there. Again just trying to figure out what the biggest one is that will fit in the car.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I am happy with my kirkey road race deluxe seats mounted on hardbar rails.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kirkey 17" will fit you. Deluxe road race probably 20* lay back.

Hardbar rail mounts.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I am happy with my kirkey road race deluxe seats mounted on hardbar rails.
Hey weasel, I went to there website and didn't even see that one. You have any pics? How much are they? Did it take a long time to get?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

The Sparco Evo 2 plus will fit. And so will the Evo 2 JD
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDIllon
The Sparco Evo 2 plus will fit. And so will the Evo 2 JD
Those will in the car for sure?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks like the evo 2 plus is taller but skinnier. Will the regular evo 2 fit? I can't even find a evo 2 jd?!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Kirkey 17" will fit you. Deluxe road race probably 20* lay back.

Hardbar rail mounts.
Also look at Ultrashield road race seat. I have two 17 inch Ultrashields in my car. Can get in either 10 or 20 degree layback. Are you going to install seats on both sides or just the driver's side? Hardbar rails are excellent but you will have to move the OEM seat wiring harness so it doesn't pass under the rails. Some people cut the carpet so the Hardbar rails are flush with the floor. I pulled the carpet up and removed the jute back which reduced the thickness to the same amount as the C5Z carpet. I just did this where the Hardbar rails were going to run. You will also need some sort of back brace with the Kirkey or Ultrashield. I use the I/O Port brace and fasten it to the harness bar. The Hardbar Harness bar rides to high and is too close to the seat and causes the shoulder belts to go in front of your shoulders Vs over them. The Sharkbar is lower and further back in the car and doesn't have that problem.

Bill
Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm that Recaro Profi SPG and SPG XL fit in the driver's side and passenger side respectively on Hardbar mounts. Bill's post about the wiring I can also confirm as well as the shop followed this approach exactly. Apparently the SPG XL is a fairly tight fit (clearance of 1" or less). The installation is still in progress so no pictures yet (I haven't even seen it myself yet).
Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Kirkey is not making the deluxe any more but some are still out there and retailers. They have a newer model that takes a head support.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FamousRR
Looks like the evo 2 plus is taller but skinnier. Will the regular evo 2 fit? I can't even find a evo 2 jd?!
The evo 2 plus is wider. And yes it will fit. Im 6'2" and the extra length in the back is what i needed to get the harness holes high enough to be above my sholders. There might be an inch maybe 2 on being wider. But the seat is leaned way back to keep my big head out of the headliner.

Last edited by Screamin Z; 05-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm looking to do both seats. My fabricator that is making my cage is gonna make the seat mount in a fix position for me. I'm removing everything. The power seats and all. The evo seats are unavailable. I can't find these anywhere.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm looking to do both seats. My fabricator that is making my cage is gonna make the seat mount in a fix position for me. I'm removing everything. The power seats and all. The evo seats are unavailable. I can't find these anywhere.
I just bought and installed a Sparco Evo 2 Plus in my C5. Contact Ron at Discovery Parts, he had mine to me within a couple of days of ordering.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Falcon
I just bought and installed a Sparco Evo 2 Plus in my C5. Contact Ron at Discovery Parts, he had mine to me within a couple of days of ordering.
does it hit the door?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

I have 2 Evo2's on Hardbar rails mounted in my C5, and I have a full cage. No fitment issues at all. The Evo2 also fit fine in my stock C6 coupe on Hardbar rails.

I don't know where you have looked, but here are some links to dealers that carry Sparco seats:

http://www.subesports.com/products/c...co/prodID/1345

http://www.soloracer.com/sparcoevo2.html

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...RCO-EVO-2-SEAT

I've dealt with OG and Soloracer before with good results and good customer service. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Race seats help please

Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
does it hit the door?
Nope, doesn't hit anything. It fits. Tighter than a condom, but it fits.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I called everywhere in socal. Tried Sube sports. They said 18+ months but we have cobras. Called sparco direct they told me out of stock
Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks alot for all the help everyone. I just sent og racing a message since they are closed. I pray that they have them.

Thanks again guys

Quick Reply: Race seats help please