Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocono - Memorial Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Pocono - Memorial Day

Anyone running the CCNEPA/Italian Mark Club Event on Memorial day?
They're running the the long course, counterclockwise, and into the north road course. Hoping for no rain!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Always a great even with some wild exotics. Funny think is they usually run like crap because the driver has no clue. The next problem is they never even see the track. Get me some lap times on how many break the 1:30 mark.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM
turnleft
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pocono? No rain? C'mon you know its going to rain at some point! We were running the SCCA race two weeks ago and you have to be careful on the transitions onto the banking where they are installing the safer barriers. Big bumps between the concrete and the track, plus the bottom of the track was very muddy from the construction. Should be some different cars to see like always.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:37 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Always a great even with some wild exotics. Funny think is they usually run like crap because the driver has no clue. The next problem is they never even see the track. Get me some lap times on how many break the 1:30 mark.

John,
I've never run the long course, so I won't be pushing that 1:30 mark!!, but I'll keep an eyes on the big dogs, try to watch and learn - maybe I'll even get a ride.

Left turn,
Thanks for the heads-up, but what concrete do you mean?

Last edited by PaConehead; 05-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PaConehead
John,
I've never run the long course, so I won't be pushing that 1:30 mark!!, but I'll keep an eyes on the big dogs, try to watch and learn - maybe I'll even get a ride.

Left turn,
Thanks for the heads-up, but what concrete do you mean?
only seen a few get there all the years there.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only seen a few get there all the years there.
Years?

I'm pretty slow, but I don't time my laps with a calendar.

And I'll be there w/ the old Camaro.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crainholio
Years?

yes I only saw a few cars break 1:30 all the years I went there. People have the HP but not the *****. Big dogs turn to puppies. I am close but not there was hoping to try this year with my little 346 CI.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crainholio
Years?

Crainholio - I won't be close to any track records, could probably use sundial to time my laps.

Look me up, I'll have the Z-16, probably running #75 (if I cant re-cycle the numbers one more time!)

John - come on over and check it out, I like to meet you!!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Crainholio - I won't be close to any track records, could probably use sundial to time my laps.

Look me up, I'll have the Z-16, probably running #75 (if I cant re-cycle the numbers one more time!)

John - come on over and check it out, I like to meet you!!
Thanks I'd love to meet you and others I have not seen in a while. The traffic is a killer on this weekend. I'll try to make PDA long course later this summer.

Kind of rips my heart out not to run.

I'll be dropping my Whaler in the water and sea kayaking to keep in shape.

Hopefully next month I can get the car together. I'd be happy to see it roll up and down the driveway and off the jack stands.

Be safe the most import thing is leaving the tunnel with you and the car in one piece. Takes a while to really get fast on that course and most average times are 1:45 or up to 2:00. I enjoy my small HP car because I have to make it in the corners to stay with the bigger HP cars. Now with all the new Z's they should be fast down the straight. Late braking and fast corners make up a lot of HP.

Take some pictures there should be some nice cars there. Enjoy and be safe!

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-27-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Thanks I'd love to meet you and others I have not seen in a while. The traffic is a killer on this weekend. I'll try to make PDA long course later this summer.

Kind of rips my heart out not to run.

I'll be dropping my Whaler in the water and sea kayaking to keep in shape.

Hopefully next month I can get the car together. I'd be happy to see it roll up and down the driveway and off the jack stands.

Be safe the most import thing is leaving the tunnel with you and the car in one piece. Takes a while to really get fast on that course and most average times are 1:45 or up to 2:00. I enjoy my small HP car because I have to make it in the corners to stay with the bigger HP cars. Now with all the new Z's they should be fast down the straight. Late braking and fast corners make up a lot of HP.

Take some pictures there should be some nice cars there. Enjoy and be safe!
I'm not pushing too much first time out on this course - I need to drive it on to the trailer at the end on day. Enjoy your holiday!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

reports please
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rained at sunrise but the track was mostly dry by the first session. Very well run event, shorter than usual 20-minute sessions but there were 7 of them per run group so plenty of seat time.

I had my passenger side axle seal develop a leak during session 6, so I called it a day. Cabin smells like burnt hypoid gear lube, yuck.

No big wrecks that I am aware of, one C4 broke down on track and was towed. Some mechanical issues evident in the pits.

The new NASCAR concrete transition between the speedway and the infield turn-in (North Course entry) is a challenge. It's shaped like a rain gutter, so the suspension bounces while you're making the turn.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Great weather, well run event, lots of seat, and everybody played nice - may have been issues w/slow point in the less experienced group. Lots of nice cars - I did some pics at the show on Sat and more at the track, I'll try to post them later this week.

And no, John - I didn't break 1:30, but I heard Dave Walter and another fellow w/ZR-1 were getting close - just unofficial rumors !!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Great weather, well run event, lots of seat time, and everybody played nice - may have been issues w/slow point in the less experienced group. Lots of nice cars - I did some pics at the show on Sat and more at the track, I'll try to post them later this week.

And no, John - I didn't break 1:30, but I heard Dave Walter and another fellow w/ZR-1 were getting close - just unofficial rumors !!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

TTT for some times anyone ran? Any fast Ferrari's or other exotics? Any pictures of the event cars?

One guy showed up with a Ferrari SP 333 one year and did two minutes I could have made him look tied to a stump with the Stock LT4 GS I have. That is no BS he had no clue how to drive it. Here I am thinking can't wait to see this thing fly and post a super low lap time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtD9eci3yXE

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-31-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT for some times anyone ran? Any fast Ferrari's or other exotics? Any pictures of the event cars?

One guy showed up with a Ferrari SP 333 one year and did two minutes I could have made him look tied to a stump with the Stock LT4 GS I have. That is no BS he had no clue how to drive it. Here I am thinking can't wait to see this thing fly and post a super low lap time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtD9eci3yXE
Probably a good idea he didn't drive it fast or he would have killed himself and maybe taken someone else out. I am sure us mere mortals would find ourselves in trouble very quickly with such a car.

I remember seeing it at Watkins Glen back in the early days of Grand Am (pre daytona proto) and it was SOOOO loud at full throttle down the front strait, it really hurt my ears and I could feel it in my chest. In less than 3 laps I thought I was going to lose my hearing. This thing idling or reving does it NO justice. You needed earplugs to be anywhere near the track. I have not heard anything like it since, nor have I ever needed ear plugs at any ALMS or Grand Am race, like I did those days at WG.

I can't beleive I missed this event, it was always my favorit... :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono - Memorial Day

Quick Reply: Pocono - Memorial Day