Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood brakes, anyone use these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Wilwood brakes, anyone use these?

Does anyone have any experience with these Wilwood brakes on a C5?

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...temno=140-8032

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...temno=140-8230
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NealB
I have them SL6 front and SL4 rear. LGM can set you up with all you need!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

do you track or autocross the car? if so, pad choice you prefer?

are you happy with the quality ?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NealB
do you track or autocross the car? if so, pad choice you prefer?

are you happy with the quality ?
track events I run Wilwood H pads. Many pads are available for this caliper. They do make thin and thin versions. Thick is best and another option is Thermo-lock pistons for heavy use. I run the car hard and they take it. You have to check your rims if they will fit these calipers. I get the rotors glowing in the daylight at certain tracks. Quality is great and they are made in the USA.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the LGM kit to mount the full SL6's. I run C5Z06 rear wheels up front to the clear the brakes.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

MJM: the real full SL6R or the wide 5 variant (which also takes the 7420 pad).

I'm on the wide-5 version with LGM brackets, with the OE sized rotors on the stock 17" alcoas.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:49 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I run the LG SL6 Wilwood kit on the front of my car with the H series pads. This kit will fit under the stock 17" Z06 wheels. They work great for track use and the pads are much cheaper than the Carboteks for the stock calipers.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I run the LG SL6 Wilwood kit on the front of my car with the H series pads. This kit will fit under the stock 17" Z06 wheels. They work great for track use and the pads are much cheaper than the Carboteks for the stock calipers.

Used the LG setup on my C5 Z for 4 years. I really liked it. Brakes performed well and they saved me money over the 4 years due to the lower cost and longer life of the brake pads over the C5 calipers.

Bill
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i run 6 piston kit that fits under stock front c5z wheels.

the only benefits are, as people above said, better pad longevity AND price. don;t get me wrong it's a huge benefit. in 2-3 years, pad money savings WILL pay for the kit, especially if you actually use close to 100% of braking ability of your car (maybe 10-15% of people at any given DE do)

you still get pad taper and you still go through stock rotors like crazy.

Quality of wilwood stuff was OK. had to send one caliper back due to crossover tube fitting damaged (likely during assembley) and leaking.

replacement caliper came with crossover tube plugged and it took a lot of pumping/bleeding to get it to work normally, but worked fine ever since.

if I had to do it all over again, I would buy 18 inch wheels for the fronts and AP or Brembo kit. you get EXACTLY what you pay for, especially with the brakes.

Last edited by longdaddy; 05-23-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 AM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mgarfias
MJM: the real full SL6R or the wide 5 variant (which also takes the 7420 pad).

I'm on the wide-5 version with LGM brackets, with the OE sized rotors on the stock 17" alcoas.
They are the ones from the LGM kit. It comes with a custom bracket and the brake calipers. The calipers are marked "SL6" and use the thicker 7420 pads.

I tried the stock front wheels that came with the car (C5 FRC not Z06) and they would not fit. I was going with C5 Z06 rears all around anyway, so it didn't matter.

I did the swap over three years ago and haven't put new pads on since. They aren't any bigger than stock brakes, but they are much more reliable and cheaper in the long run.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

thanks for the input guys

I want bigger brakes on my car with 18" fronts

looked at a custom piece-it-together package with C6 Z06 calipers, two piece front rotors, one piece pads, etc and it was $3300

found the Wilwood package that I put links for above for $3100 total in my hands

I've got many many laps on Bembros on a C5 and they are wonderful, but they are almost triple the Wilwood price for a set and all replacement stuff is super expensive too

going Wilwood
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
svcjmo
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been racing on Wilwoods for 2 seasons now with great success. You want the W6A on the front...Race quality with the thermolock pistons. You can use the superlite on the rear. On my C6 Z I use H pads front, A pad rear for more Bias. The front's are full floating and you want 2 Lb residual valves at all 4 corners where the brake hose begins...eliminates any pad knockback. I have been working with Wilwood 2 seasons to get this system perfect along with Paul at VanSteel in florida. My 3300 lb STO car stops predictably thruout our 40 mile races without fail using Wilwood 600 fluid.

Jerry Onks 2010, 2011 SE Div Nat STO Champion #96
Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svcjmo
I have been racing on Wilwoods for 2 seasons now with great success. You want the W6A on the front...Race quality with the thermolock pistons. You can use the superlite on the rear. On my C6 Z I use H pads front, A pad rear for more Bias. The front's are full floating and you want 2 Lb residual valves at all 4 corners where the brake hose begins...eliminates any pad knockback. I have been working with Wilwood 2 seasons to get this system perfect along with Paul at VanSteel in florida. My 3300 lb STO car stops predictably thruout our 40 mile races without fail using Wilwood 600 fluid.

Jerry Onks 2010, 2011 SE Div Nat STO Champion #96
Jerry

I read the magazine article about your car. I'm not going to do anything as strenuous. My Spec Miata is for track use. I may do a few more HPDE in the Z06. I ran against you in SS a few times at Topeka.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Wilwood

Good morning,
We have been working close with Wilwood on their Corvette applications.

This week end Dr. Jerry Onks made it 6 SCCA National Wins in a row at Road Atlanta in STO using Wilwood package.

With Jerry,,, here is what we use...

Front, W6 caliper with Thermloc pistons Polymatric H and the rears are SL4 with Thermlock pistons and Polymatric A...

The rotors are floating with the new "Spec 37" rotor rings are made in the USA and are lasting.. We had 4 National weekends on the 14" fronts and 6 on the 13" rears... and are still doing well... some small "spider" cracks but good enough to keep using...

With the floating rotors we use a 2lb residual valve.... no pad knock...tall pedal everywhere we have raced this year...

We did back to backs on the fluid (XRF) and we use the new Wilwood EXP600Plus fluid... cheaper than Castrol and no noticable difference in perfomance...

In SCCA T1 our testings is showing the SL6 with Themlocs work real good. Provide added clearence for the 17 " wheels...

Be safe... call us..
PL
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Van Steel

Sorry, did not know Jerry was on the net.... Great run this week end Jerry,
PL
Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Steel
Good morning,
We have been working close with Wilwood on their Corvette applications.

This week end Dr. Jerry Onks made it 6 SCCA National Wins in a row at Road Atlanta in STO using Wilwood package.

With Jerry,,, here is what we use...

Front, W6 caliper with Thermloc pistons Polymatric H and the rears are SL4 with Thermlock pistons and Polymatric A...

The rotors are floating with the new "Spec 37" rotor rings are made in the USA and are lasting.. We had 4 National weekends on the 14" fronts and 6 on the 13" rears... and are still doing well... some small "spider" cracks but good enough to keep using...

With the floating rotors we use a 2lb residual valve.... no pad knock...tall pedal everywhere we have raced this year...

We did back to backs on the fluid (XRF) and we use the new Wilwood EXP600Plus fluid... cheaper than Castrol and no noticable difference in perfomance...

In SCCA T1 our testings is showing the SL6 with Themlocs work real good. Provide added clearence for the 17 " wheels...

Be safe... call us..
PL
Will these calipers work with the CCW's 10" x 17" fronts many of us still use?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Van Steel

Default Wilwood

The Package used by Jerry is designed around 18" and up wheel size...

We do offer the SL6 with Thermlock pistons for the 17" wheel application. We make the radial mount bracket to accept the OEM rotor dimention. The Wilwood bracket is designed around their 2 piece rotor offset...

Wilwood does offer a SL6 caliper kit with the 2 piece rotor which is also an option....

I do encourage the Themlocks with the SL6 for HPDE driving and more...

PL

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood brakes, anyone use these?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Massc5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Falcon
They do not clear mine, without huge spacers. OEM grand sports clear, but not some copies.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Falcon
17" Wilwood SL6 kit from LGM with CCW's needs a .750" spacer. I have run it for years with ARP studs from DRM. The extra track is nice then you could have fender clearance problems from tire rub. I trimmed mine up about 3/4" after I noticed the tires had started it. :bb:bb:bb

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-27-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
17" Wilwood SL6 kit from LGM with CCW's needs a .750" spacer. I have run it for years with ARP studs from DRM. The extra track is nice then you could have fender clearance problems from tire rub. I trimmed mine up about 3/4" after I noticed the tires had started it. :bb:bb:bb
I've got a fender rub with my stock alcoa 17s with no spacers. It seems when I pushed the LCAs all the way outboard with gary's camber plates and then stood the tire up to a streetable camber (-1.5 or so) at the UCA it cut out all the excess clearance I have. 'Course the rub isn't bad enough for me to do anything about.... Yet.

Quick Reply: Wilwood brakes, anyone use these?