Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:25 PM
BigRobDsp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belts

what brand of belts have those of you who track your car regularly had the best luck with? How about Idler pulleys? I just cant imagine that OEM is the best stuff out there. I ordered a Katech belt tensioner, and thought I would replace the belts and idler pulleys while I was doing the work.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

I use the NAPA brand been working fine so far. Stock idler pulleys too
Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I use the OEM belts that came on the car. Had 97 for 6 years and 03 for 6 years and now an 08 for two years never changed the belts.

Bill
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Speaking of belts, anyone know what belt size is required after removing the abs and power steering (driving only the alternator) on a otherwise stock LS1 (C5)?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timothy Lottes
Speaking of belts, anyone know what belt size is required after removing the abs and power steering (driving only the alternator) on a otherwise stock LS1 (C5)?
No, ... but I'm wondering why you would remove either of those things. They make it easier to go fast it you keep them.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
No, ... but I'm wondering why you would remove either of those things. They make it easier to go fast it you keep them.
Yeah, I would not recommend it to others either.

However, for this HPDE toy, not really concerned about being the fastest, but do want something harder and more fun to drive. Never had a problem with power-to-manual rack conversion requiring more strength to operate, and been running without ABS for as long as I've been driving (including pulling the fuse on street vehicles)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothy Lottes
What does removing the ABS has to do with belt size since the ABS isn't belt driven.

Bill
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What does removing the ABS has to do with belt size since the ABS isn't belt driven.

Bill
Right, not sure why I put ABS in there.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Just tie a string around the pulleys in a route that looks about right and measure. Thats always worked well for me, just get it a little shorter so that the tensioner will work well. It has worked well for me when I had to shortbelt something for various other reasons.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Im really confused as to why someone would make their car crappier to drive on track by removing the PS and ABS? I just dont get it. Skill has nothing to do with it. The best drivers in the world can not out break ABS.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

More feel, personal preference, probably weight. The best drivers in the world CAN out brake ABS. If your tires are on the verge of breaking loose, but have not yet, they will have a higher coefficient of friction than when they lock and unlock. I personally can't but from what i know about physics, if the wheels are locked they have a lower coefficient of friction than when they are still moving.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html

Get notified of new replies

To belts

Quick Reply: belts