Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heal toe shifting and failed throttle position sensor

Old 05-23-2011, 06:50 PM
saibel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heal toe shifting and failed throttle position sensor

Has anyone seen an association between a failed throttle position sensor and heal toe shifting. I ask this because my 2009 went into reduced power mode while on the track over the weekend. OBD 2 reading indicated a throttle position sensor which was subsequently replaced at the dealer after a tow to the dealer.

The car was not being run all that hard, shifting was smooth but directly after a heal toe shift from 4th to 3rd, the reduced power light came on and I rolled off the track through the pit lane. Oil temps were not all that hot as it was the beginning of the run.... 235ish.

So that brings up my question...anyone see this happen associated with a certain shifting technique?

On another note, there were some awesome people at TMS who helped me get through this unexpected surprise. First, everyone there from LG Motorsports...thank you. While they were busy working on their corvettes, which were awesome, they all went out of their way to help a corvette buddy in need. They were also super cool and really nice about it. I can not say enough about how helpful they all were. Lou, you have a great team and a new HUGE FAN. Thanks to you and your people!!!!!!!!

Second round of thanks goes to Dawn at Texas Driving Experience. I have participated in quite a few events with the people at TDE. They have all been great. Yesterday Dawn helped my find someone local who towed my corvette to a local dealer. I needed a hand, and found one with the TDE folks, especially Dawn. Again, thank you.

Finally, I met James from Milner Wrecking service. I got the lowdown On where to tow the vehicle and who to speak with at the dealer the next day.

Result, the car is fixed and back on the road thanks to people who went out of their way to lend a hand. These are three great companies made up of great people so if you ever have a chance...check them out, they exceeded all of my expectations.

THANKS AGAIN.

And back to the original questions....any reason why heel toe shifting might impact a broken throttle position sensor in the pedal.

Sorry for any typos...to long a post to check for spelling
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

I had a DNF and a DNS at two races this weekend due to an error 1220 on the throttle position sensor.

What part of that throttle system did they replace for you?

I have been racing my C5 for four years and another one for two years before that and never had this problem before so I doubt it has anything to do with heal and toe shifting.

Oli
Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
saibel
Racer

They replaced the pedal assembly
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Saibel,

Does your car have the stock tune?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:40 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle position sensor is located on the throttle body. The accelerator pedal position sensor is located on the gas pedal.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We've had this happen several times on our 05 ST2 car, but it seemed to happen on quick upshifts. A new pedal assembly took care of the issue, the code that came up was an Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (which is basically the gas pedal).
Kinda weird that they never had an issue with the C5 pedals, if you do a search over in the C6 section you will see several people that had to replace there pedals under street driving conditions.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Never had a problem on 04Z doing heel/toe. Coincidence probably, mostly c6's.

You do know that coming down the road, the geniuses at NHTSA will make new car models cut throttle electronically whenever brake is applied.

Heel & toe will become something the old timers remember.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

You do know that coming down the road, the geniuses at NHTSA will make new car models cut throttle electronically whenever brake is applied.

Hopefully they're smart and only cut the ignition when the brake line pressure exceeds some big # AND throttle position is 90%+.

Wait, this is the feds, they're not that smart. ****, we're screwed.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Hopefully they're smart and only cut the ignition when the brake line pressure exceeds some big # AND throttle position is 90%+.

Wait, this is the feds, they're not that smart. ****, we're screwed.

The way it's working out with air bags, tire pressure sensors, black box recorders & gps tracking, I would not be very hopeful.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by froggy47

Lots of cars already have this. There is a slight time delay before they cut the accelerator. My old G37 had it and I was able to drive it on the track and heel-toe without any problems.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:25 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I was wondering if that was what it ended up being.

All of the codes were low voltage pedal position sensor, and low voltage pedal assembly. I think PO2212 and 2217? I can't remember now what they were but everything was plugged in, no blown fuses, and the scanner showed 0 movement at the pedal.

Sorry I couldn't get it fixed for you there at the track, but that is the first pedal I have seen go dead on a new Corvette before. I've seen throttle body issues in the past but never the pedal assembly.

Glad they got it fixed for you and you made it home safely!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
saibel
Racer

Yes, pedal assembly was replaced.

Car is a stock tune. Matter of fact it is all stock minus some Motul brake fluid.

And Anthony. YOU ROCK. Thank you so much for your help. Can not say how appreciative I was to have you and Louis help me out.

Get notified of new replies

To Heal toe shifting and failed throttle position sensor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heal toe shifting and failed throttle position sensor