Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part 2 of the Brake cooling Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Part 2 of the Brake cooling Adventure

OK I think I have got the DRM cooling ducts down, they will be delivered on Thursday so it looks like a nice weekend project. Part 2 is the install of the Quantam Cooling Ducts. Could not find any instructions on-line so looking for advice on this also. They should be delivered on Friday. How does the spindle duct attach to the hub. I have looked at the picture on the web site but can't figure out how they attach.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They come with great instructions but from my memory you pull out two of the star bolts that hold the wheel hub on the spindle and I know you have to take a dremel tool and cut the ABS sensor bracket off the spindle and it wire ties to the hose that will go from the DRM duct to the spindle duct.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also did the Quantum Cooling Ducts, but was not happy with them. Ended up using the ducting provided by the DRM ducts because the Quantum ducting was to smaller of a diameter for the DRM ducts. Got a bad bolt, one of the larger bolts sheared apart during install before reaching a good torque. As mentioned, one of the corvette star bolts which is not set in a boss in the spindle, instead of laying flush, interferes with the clamping backing plate as provided by Quantum. Image with the star bolt circled, and with no backing plate. The backing plate is supposed to bolt to the arrowed bolts in the photo.

Not sure what the proper install is. I've deferred finishing this to work on other parts of the car. Could drill clearance in the backing plate for the bold head, but the backing plate is already too easily bendable. Could take out the hub bolt and drill clearance in the backing plate for just the bolt screw, then re-bolt the star bolt over the backing plate. Not sure if lowering the amount of threads engaged with the wheel hub is a good idea though.

Given the quantum design, the backing plate will bend under the load of the nuts used to hold it in place. Not sure if the nuts can even reach their correct torque. Guess could use some locktite and hope it doesn't come apart

Not sure if the backing plate is required either, anyone run without it?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I installed the cheaper $75 dollar kit from Quantum. Just the 2 bolts to remove for me....it sits about an inch or inch and a half away from the rotor, not 1/8 inch like the $170+ kits. Had 0 problems.

BUT...I am going to make my own extension pieces and reshape some 3 inch tubing to get as much air directed at the center of the rotor.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Depends on which kit you bought.

One requires removal of the hub bolts, one doesn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Part 2 of the Brake cooling Adventure

Quick Reply: Part 2 of the Brake cooling Adventure