Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Am Contis vs R6

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Grand Am Contis vs R6

Does anyone know the exact differences?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been told by a couple people I trust that they are the same, except in name.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

the old GAC hoosiers were very similar, just different pattern (or lack there of). I personally wouldn't hesitate mixing them for a track day....but I'll drive anything!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have always heard there are no differences. On my car the Conti's wear about 1/2 as fast as the R6. Can't feel a difference in overall grip though
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A Tech guy from Hoosier mentioned to me that the OLDER VRLs were the same rubber compound as the R6s but the VRLs had stiffer sidewalls

the GACs were much different rubber compound and construction.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,749 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
A Tech guy from Hoosier mentioned to me that the OLDER VRLs were the same rubber compound as the R6s but the VRLs had stiffer sidewalls

the GACs were much different rubber compound and construction.
The old VRLs are the same, I think the new ones are a different tire.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Crankedupforit
Heel & Toe

Here is something I picked up awhile ago on a forum and saved it about the GAC tires. It's an older post but has some good info.

The tires run in the Grand-Am Cup series have the same construction as the Hoosier R03 from the late 1990's.
The rubber compound is harder than any DOT tire that Hoosier offers.
The speed and wear of the tire is similar to that of a Toyo RA-1. The Cup tires are a little faster when new, and a little slower after a few heat cycles, and have about the same life.
At the beginning of this year, the tires were re-branded as Continentals, but for the first few races, the only differences were that they said "Continental" on the side, and the direct references to Hoosier in the mold on the sidewall were hand-ground off.
Starting with the Lime Rock race in 2010, a new mold for the tires was used, making these a full slick. However, the construction and rubber compound was the same, they are still manufactured at Hoosier's facility in Indiana, and the tires are not significantly faster.
The rain tires are identical to the equivalent Hoosier Wet tires except for the branding...These tires are going to be continued to be used in the CTSCC 2011 season. They have their hands full developing the Rolex tire, which will be all new for next year.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:28 PM
GS651
Intermediate

Not sure if you got your answer or not. The GAC tires are NOT the same as R6's. Not even close. The R6 is significantly faster than the tires mandated by GA. Remember, the GAC is a psudo endurance series and needs decent wear.

Our ST MX-5 is much quicker on R6's than on the Hoosier/Conti stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Am Contis vs R6

Quick Reply: Grand Am Contis vs R6