Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bushing issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM
C5-vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bushing issue

Any one had this happen?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks like the snap ring broke or wasn't seated all the way.... I'll bet it's the latter. Did yo do the install yourself? When I did my Pfadts this winter I had to compress the front uppers with clamps to get the snap-ring 100% seated. I thought they were seated, but upon double checking they weren't fully... triple checked it.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This has happened to several people from what I've read on this forum. I haven't had this happen yet, and I hope not to. I'm not convinced that it's a seating issue.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:05 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The snap ring has definitely popped out or broken like travisnd said.
Unbolt both sides of the upper arm, clean the bore and reinstall. 1/2hr job at most.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Pfadt has an upgrade snap ring, call Aaron or Josh or Rob.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

if it's a seating issue the snap ring will still be there, but just slid over, if the ring broke, than it was seated, but just broke.

I don't know that this product was engineered perfectly for the application. I keep a close eye on mine though.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
if it's a seating issue the snap ring will still be there, but just slid over, if the ring broke, than it was seated, but just broke.

I don't know that this product was engineered perfectly for the application. I keep a close eye on mine though.
The snap ring should have been bigger & groove deeper.

Mine has been holding so far with the upgrade snap ring. I check it b4 every event though.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Pfadt has an upgrade snap ring, call Aaron or Josh or Rob.
Sigh. You make me wish my bushings had snap-rings. Mine are older...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 AM
C5-vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I did not do the install myself. I will be fixing it though. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pfadt changed their snap ring from a spring one to a regular external. The spring ones tended to do that. A regular external ring works much better.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys. The Inner diameter tolerance on the control arms from GM is pretty wide, this makes manufacturing a poly bushing for these arms pretty tough since you need to make a bushing that fits securely into a wide range of control arms. From GM's perspective since they are installing soft rubber bushings into the control arms, so inner diameter doesn't matter too much since the stock rubber bushing is going to compress easily when installed into the arm. With polyurethane we are trying to eliminate deflection, and since poly in this application has a much higher durometer than the stock rubber bushing those wide ranging tolerances must be accounted for by a bushing that isn't so big as to not fit into the smallest toleranced hole, but not so small as to not fit snugly into the largest toleranced hole.

The particularly tough installs come on cars whose control arms have smaller inside diameters. When you press the poly bushing into the arm the poly will actually compress and elongate a bit, and since this is a 2 piece bushing there is a chance that the 2 halves can meet in the middle. If your bushings have met in the middle, and under hard braking you add more compression which squishes those bushings even farther, that material has to go somewhere. In this case that material can force the washer into the snap ring, and force it to pop out of it's machined groove in the pin and cause this.

If you see this happening there are some things to do to prevent it:

1. Make sure that the flat inner edge of the D Shaped washer supplied with the kit rides securely on the pin, preventing the washer from spinning.

2. Confirm that the snap ring is seated securely in it's machined groove on the pin. This can be tricky if your control arms have a tight tolerance.

3. If your seeing the bushing walking out after a track day, it's perfectly OK to remove a small amount of material from the inside face of both poly bushings at the effected attachment point. You will most likely see this happening on the front upper control arms, at the inside 2 halves of the poly bushings. This is shown pretty clearly by the pictures above. Removing some material from the poly bushing allows the poly somewhere to go while it's being compressed under hard braking and will prevent this from happening.

If you guys have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us! We are open 9-5 Mountain standard time at 888-972-2464 and are always here to help!

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 05-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To bushing issue

Quick Reply: bushing issue